IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Transmission Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-17, 02:00 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Transmission Service

So I decided to have my stealership do an ATF change at 30K (I believe in servicing the tranny regularly, esp in 4 season climates) on my IS350. Anyone else had theirs done yet? If so, I wonder, did they charge you for a "transmission conditioner?" If so, anyone know what this is for?

I wish there was a drain plug and dipstick to do easy drain and fills with. I would change the fluid once year in that case like I do with my older Nissan and Honda products.

Thx
The following users liked this post:
v33k (10-30-17)
Old 10-27-17, 03:35 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 263 Posts

There is a drain and fill bolt on your transmission, but no dipstick. I have no idea what "transmission conditioner" means but I'm pretty sure it's a gimmick that does nothing to your transmission except emptying your pockets. I did drain and fill myself few weeks ago but instead of Toyota's ATF I used Amsoil Signature Series Transmission Fluid.
Old 10-27-17, 04:18 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
So I decided to have my stealership do an ATF change at 30K (I believe in servicing the tranny regularly, esp in 4 season climates) on my IS350. Anyone else had theirs done yet? If so, I wonder, did they charge you for a "transmission conditioner?" If so, anyone know what this is for?

I wish there was a drain plug and dipstick to do easy drain and fills with. I would change the fluid once year in that case like I do with my older Nissan and Honda products.

Thx
I wont be doing mine until 100000km or 62000mi. Most places will only drop the pan and replace what came out, this does not replace all the fluid (a lot of it sits in the torque converter i hear), you would have to do it 3 or 4 times. I'll probably ask the dealer if they can do a full flush, not sure if the have fittings that fit the drain and fill ports...
Old 10-27-17, 04:46 PM
primavera
Instructor

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
I wont be doing mine until 100000km or 62000mi. Most places will only drop the pan and replace what came out, this does not replace all the fluid (a lot of it sits in the torque converter i hear), you would have to do it 3 or 4 times. I'll probably ask the dealer if they can do a full flush, not sure if the have fittings that fit the drain and fill ports...
I don't think any shop will drop the pan, there's absolutely no need for it especially with low mileage vehicle. Drain and fill is the safest method if you want to replace or just refresh the transmission fluid. I did 2 drain and fills in one afternoon in my garage which allowed me to put about 50% of the fresh fluid back in the transmission. The entire process is as complicated as an oil change.
Old 10-27-17, 05:03 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
I don't think any shop will drop the pan, there's absolutely no need for it especially with low mileage vehicle. Drain and fill is the safest method if you want to replace or just refresh the transmission fluid. I did 2 drain and fills in one afternoon in my garage which allowed me to put about 50% of the fresh fluid back in the transmission. The entire process is as complicated as an oil change.
Some shops will, I was offered this when i asked about it, but figured ill just wait until my pre-determined time. I think dropping the pan was to clean the magnets or anything at the bottom of the pan or replace the screen filter. Not sure, not a mechanic. Draining and filling does seem like the safest method.
Old 10-27-17, 06:25 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The transmission conditioner does sound like a gimmick. Transmission fluid has conditioner in it anyways...
As for the drain and fill, it is true you only get a fraction of the fluid out.
If the shop has a flush machine, they would T into the transmission cooler line and flush is that way. As the machine captures the old fluid it will inject new fluid.
A proper flush will likely use about 10-12L of fluid...and that will guarantee you a 85% or higher exchange rate.

As for the plugs, the transmission actually has 3 plugs...Drain plug...Fill plug...and Overflow plug.
The drain and fill ones do exactly as the name suggests, but the Overflow is the important one.
The Overflow plug is used to set the fluid level with the transmission at a specified operating temperature.
The plug is removed and the amount of fluid coming out is observed in order to set the level.
Doing a simple drain and fill isn't going to cut it if you can't set the level correctly.
You would literally need to measure the old fluid exactly, and fill the exact same amount, that's at the same temperature as the fluid that came out.
Changing the fluid at 100k is good enough...50k is even better. Any less and the line between being effective and being costly starts to blur.
Consider that the old Dexron III fluid was good for 50k, and that was just regular transmission fluid...nothing special.
The Toyota WS fluid is superior in every way...so 50k is a cake wallk.
And I'm talking kilometers here, not miles.
Old 10-27-17, 08:37 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I just rolled over 78,000kms on my 350 awd, and according to its service records it never got this type of service done before. Should i be concerned? It drives perfectly fine, no hiccups at all. How much should i expect to pay at the dealer for this service? I don't want to get riped off so i'd like to know a ballpark in advance!
Old 10-28-17, 05:06 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thx for all the insights, gents! Sounds like a rip off, and I'm seriously going to take my business to another dealer for future maintenance like diff services bc no one explained to me why the conditioner was needed, and they would not warranty my Nav screen despite it resetting once a week even after a firmware update a few months ago.

I'm okay with not flushing the whole system and doing drain and fills every now and then. I'll find someone cheaper or do it myself once the warranty is over.

If anything, drain and fills won't "shock" the transmission. For higher mileage trannies that get a barrage of fresh fluids, I've heard of cases where the tranny ends up failing after a full flush bc the clutches and bands have adapted to the old fluid, and isn't used to the new fluid, so introducing some new fluid with the old I think has some value.
Old 10-28-17, 10:26 AM
primavera
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFLexy
I just rolled over 78,000kms on my 350 awd, and according to its service records it never got this type of service done before. Should i be concerned? It drives perfectly fine, no hiccups at all. How much should i expect to pay at the dealer for this service? I don't want to get riped off so i'd like to know a ballpark in advance!
Find the shop that specializes in Toyota Lexus vehicles, ask if they're able to perform full transmission flush on your car. Make sure they have access to correct fittings. http://bglsi.com/bgproducts_Oklahoma...s/Fittings.pdf
It is advisable to see in what condition the fluid exchange machine is, ask how often it gets cleaned. You want to make sure it gets cleaned after every use. You don't want to contaminate fresh fluid with something else left in the machine that's not compatible with your transmission. Find out if the shop uses Techstream software, they will need it to measure the internal temp of the fluid to set it to correct level. Buy new washers and O rings from the dealer. Alternatively they can perform drain and fill where they measure drained amount of fluid and put back exact amount into transmission. You can also do it yourself at home on leveled surface. All you need is a funnel, some clear tubing from Lowe's or Home Hardware, Techstream or ScanGauge II, 24 and 14mm sockets and 6mm allen key. Jacks stands and rhino ramps help to get under the car. Basically you drain 2L and put back the same amount. Drive around the hood, let it mixed together, come back park the car, repeat the same process.
For the final drain and fill you will need either ScanGauge II or Techstream on laptop to measure correct level between 40 and 45°C (104 and 113°F).
Watch the video how it's done at home.

The following 2 users liked this post by primavera:
Sybaritic (10-29-17), zhieson (03-27-18)
Old 10-28-17, 10:54 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did mine at 80000km as the manual stated in my region. If the manual recommends changing then do it (always follow the manual). Over servicing the car is a waste of money since the manual is already over protective.