IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Oil change nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-17, 09:23 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil change nightmare.

Car needed an oil change (250 F sport). So I went to a local car wash who does oil changes. I have brought my g37 there plenty of times in the past with no issues.

Long story short I am sitting in the car as they are emptying the oil from underneath and instruct the attendant that I am doing a “regular” oil change. Of course he tries to sell me a full synthetic however I kindly tell him Im good with a conventional oil change. All good, they are about to drop my filter and start refilling. Now starts the drama.

The manager comes over and tells him that we can’t do a regular oil change for him. So I hear the message and sit tight until he comes over. I tell him, it’s my car I’m good with the regular oil. The manager comes to me and says well we can’t do that. I said well I’m not getting fu€ked today so do me a favor and let’s just get this over with. He tells me to get out, get the fu€k out. He starts screaming don’t drop the filter. Brings 5 quarts of some random oil (luckily it was new) and before I know it fills my car up and closes my hood and says go, now. I’m not the confrontational type so I left peacefully.

Figured I would share my experience today. Regretting not going to the dealer but it is what it is. For anyone wondering where this was it was a car wash on river street in Hackensack NJ.
Old 10-27-17, 11:59 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Why would you not use synthetic? The manual calls for 0w-20, which is synthetic oil only. http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1...ices-Guide.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Turismo (10-29-17)
Old 10-28-17, 01:38 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The word random oil is scary,I would get an oil change ASAP from a trusted place. Another advise is to bring your own oil and filters (bought from an official dealer) since some places utilize counterfeit oil. BTW this car needs synthetic to avoid carbon buildup issue.

Anyway the place you choose to change oil at seems too shady and should be reported.
Old 10-28-17, 02:17 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The place may be shady but at least they were trying to sell him synthetic oil. What kind of Lexus owner is the original poster if he has no clue what oil his car needs.
Old 10-28-17, 04:21 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
What kind of Lexus owner is the original poster if he has no clue what oil his car needs.
Answer: He's not an owner, it isn't his car, so he doesn't care.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...this-okay.html
Old 10-28-17, 05:04 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
Answer: He's not an owner, it isn't his car, so he doesn't care.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...this-okay.html
this is why i never buy used.
The following users liked this post:
LeapFrog (10-28-17)
Old 10-28-17, 10:00 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Conventional oil and regular fuel.
Old 10-28-17, 10:04 AM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct I am not an owner so I don’t care. The whole not caring thing is harsh but it’s the truth. Why sugar coat it? And this is why I never buy used either too many people like me.

After the fiasco I went to another place I have been to in the past and started all over. Next oil change I’m going to the dealer they usually have a special just to mix it up. I have a year left on my lease can’t blow the car up.

Last edited by isosunrise; 10-28-17 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-28-17, 10:44 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
this is why i never buy used.
Not all used cars are the same, but I agree when it comes to leased cars everyone should steer away.
Old 10-28-17, 12:43 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
Not all used cars are the same, but I agree when it comes to leased cars everyone should steer away.
If I don't buy my car out in two years, someone will get a deal and half. I have 7K miles in over a year. Full paint correction, ceramic coating, etc etc.
Old 10-28-17, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

On the other it, maybe the shop has a policy of putting in whatever is recommended in the owner's manual since the car is so new. I can see them insisting on putting in synthetic when it calls for it in such a new car under warranty. They could be covering their a** in the event something goes wrong and don't want to get blamed for putting in the wrong oil in the event of an warranty claim at Lexus for engine failure.

I'm assuming this place didn't take your money for the oil they put back in nor didn't give you a receipt.
Old 10-28-17, 04:08 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
Disagree, leased mines and I treat it like my own. Not a single scratch on it, no door dings no nothing. Hand washed weekly, 91 fuel only as well. Car is in immaculate condition.
OP is just a cheap a** who can't afford to maintain it properly. It's unfortunate new cars sometimes go to people like that.
The following 4 users liked this post by premier3IS:
ClubLUser (10-29-17), keyframe13 (11-10-17), MX73 (10-29-17), primavera (10-30-17)