IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dumb question...what's the long thin bag in the trunk for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 06:08 PM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumb question...what's the long thin bag in the trunk for?

Hey guys, long time wisher who is finally getting the Lexus IS I have been wanting for at least the last 10 years. Had to buy out of state to get exactly what I wanted for what I was willing to pay....is200t F-sport in ultra white with black interior! Should begin its shipment to me in the next couple days.

I see in a few pics, a long narrow bag in the trunks. What is it there for?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-17, 06:19 PM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Welcome to Club Lexus and congrats on the new car.

It's for the cargo net when not in use.
Sweet! So I guess I get a cargo net too. I am soooo excited to finally get what I WANT. I travel 30-60k miles a year for work and have always gone the frugal route. A new civic in 07 that I clocked over 300k on, and a 2016 civic that I recently sold to carmax with 68k miles on it since I hated that freaking car. I made some financial goals and decided to get what I want for once instead of the safest and cheapest option. I wanted the 200t for the extra economy.....I realize the 350 isn't THAT far off, but I would rarely need that much power....but can always use the extra economy. My 16 civic was a 1.5 turbo which had plenty of top end power for my needs and the 200t looks to be pretty comparable in 0-60, etc. It was the best move for me.

I_ CAN'T_WAIT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-17, 06:33 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

RWD is going to be a ***** in Ohio winters, isn't it?
Old 10-30-17, 06:39 PM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Break2
Yeah, though I mostly try to reschedule anything I have that is calling for like an inch or more that day. Still not my most practical move, but sometimes we gotta just get what we want. I usually only am on the road 2-3 days a week anyway and it's three months out of the year.
Old 10-31-17, 09:52 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Break2
I drive a 350 RWD and don't get the luxury of rescheduling. I gotta go where I gotta go, and that means driving long distances when 6-12 in. fell/will fall that day. Common sense and good tires are what it takes. Drivetrain is a false security.
Old 10-31-17, 10:11 AM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

Not my first RWD by a long shot, but the first I have used for this purpose. Car has continental 06's on it in good/new condition (yes snow tires would be much better, if it sucks I may look for a set).....I should be good. Plus I used to be a dirt track racer, so if anything a little drifting will be fun. Aeromotive, do you place any ballast in the trunk for added traction? Is the "snow" setting worthless?
Old 10-31-17, 10:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Congratulations! Be sure to post pictures when you take delivery!
Old 10-31-17, 10:33 AM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

Barring delays, Saturday is the day!
Old 10-31-17, 03:33 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts

Snow mode enables 2nd gear start and seems to soften upshifts.
Defaults off when you restart and can be turned off while driving.
Old 11-01-17, 03:27 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have this in my 3IS - can someone post a picture of this "bag"?
Old 11-01-17, 04:16 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mopudding
I don't have this in my 3IS - can someone post a picture of this "bag"?
it was/is an option.
Old 11-01-17, 07:07 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Google search "Lexus IS OEM cargo net", you'll get the idea. I picked one up new off the Bay for $45. I find it very handy for small stuff (snowbrush, bottle of injector techron for the next fill-up, etc) to keep it from knocking around. The "long thin bag" is nice because it's actually built-in, the bottom 6 inches or so is a bag that the whole thing collapses into and zips up as to be totally out of the way, only on the bottom hooks when not in use - a nice design.
Old 11-01-17, 07:16 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A couple of pics that'll give ya the idea

Old 11-05-17, 07:51 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timcole421
Not my first RWD by a long shot, but the first I have used for this purpose. Car has continental 06's on it in good/new condition (yes snow tires would be much better, if it sucks I may look for a set).....I should be good. Plus I used to be a dirt track racer, so if anything a little drifting will be fun. Aeromotive, do you place any ballast in the trunk for added traction? Is the "snow" setting worthless?
I don't place a ballast, I don't think I need it.
Snow setting is worthless for me, it just cuts engine power. I'm experienced enough (you should be even better) with throttle control. The most annoying thing is traction control; I just disable it when I accelerate in a straight line in deep snow because it slows the car down. As soon as I'm over 50kmh/30mph I put it back on. You will be just fine, and believe me (well not me, but professional drivers) : tires > drivetrain. Tires are the only thing gluing you to the ground.
The following users liked this post:
timcole421 (11-06-17)
Old 11-06-17, 05:03 AM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

I got it!!!!!!!!

I took LOTS of risks to join this club.....but tonight I became part of the club. I started wanting an IS early in the second gen....but never got one for practicality reasons. I travel 40-50k miles a year for work (out of pocket), so long term reliability and fuel efficiency were the primary factors. Honda's.....two civics that I put nearly a combined 400k on (the first car was over 300k miles). That's a lot of miles in an econobox. The most recent was a 2016 civic ex-turbo with sensing.....that I absolutely, positively hated. I took it to carmax on a whim and decided to take their offer to make it disappear. I drove my 08 ranger I bought from my dad's estate the past month (for work travel as well). No cruise, crank windows and the worst handling ever.

I was to wait until spring to finally buy the car I wanted....but found exactly what I wanted down to a T. Here's the huge risk...buying completely sight unseen, other than ad photos. Overnighted the down payment and paperwork.....found a shipper on u-ship and 3 days later.....which was tonight, it came. Now not only was this sight unseen, I'd never even sat in one before. Big risks. Stupid risks.

How did it work out? This car is immaculate. It looks, feels and smells like absolutely new. How do I like the drive? WOW. Best steering I have felt in a car. Very comfortable, but a little rough getting out of. Drives smooth and amazingly quiet. For having the firmer f-sport suspension, I was quite pleased with the ride. The ultra white is far more amazing in person than in photos. The brake dust.....wow. (already ordered the popular replacements). My only disappointment is, I was assuming and hoping that the black wheels were plasti-dip since I much prefer the factory finish.....but they appear to be powder coated.

I so love this car. I couldn't be happier with it.

Quick Reply: Dumb question...what's the long thin bag in the trunk for?