IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Snapped a stud using ONE hand last night.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 06:42 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I am honestly appalled the "front desk lady" was so sure it wasn't under warranty given your low mileage and also just how cheap the part was. Maybe try asking someone else at the dealer?
I actually did give it another try with a service advisor. He did express sympathy but in the end said "it's hard to cover because you are bringing it in after you broke it"

- So I guess that's it, local tire shop will fix it for 50 bucks and I'm one step further away from renewing my lease with lexus next year. I don't mind paying the monthly payment at luxury car pricing when I don't have to deal with stupid things like this. It's part of why I was swayed towards lexus. I have noticed my local dealership seems to have changed owners since I bought the car, everything used to be super easy, shop was open real late and on weekends, someone almost always in to answer phones... I love the car for what it is. Just shocked a thing like a stud (which has NEVER BROKEN before for me, when I did all my own work) isn't a "bring it in and we'll fix it fast" kind of deal.

Oh well off to go figure out rides to and from the tire shop.
Old 11-05-17, 06:53 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I guess this is a good case of reliability versus maintenance cost. Sure, the IS isn't going to leave you stranded, but especially in F Sport trim, it has some wear items that need attending to more often than your average car. I for one understand why these things wear out - I mean the OEM tires aside, they are in fact junk - and am okay with a bit extra on maintaining the brake pads, hearing the squeaking brakes when it's cold, and watching for inner tire wear. There's a compromise for sure when you have a more sporty car that weighs as much as the IS does, but at least random electronic things don't fail or fuel pumps don't suddenly go out. At least, I've heard very few stories of those sorts with this vehicle.

This is not to undermine the OP's concerns, as it does seem this has happened to other owners before and is something Lexus needs to address on a broader level. I am honestly appalled the "front desk lady" was so sure it wasn't under warranty given your low mileage and also just how cheap the part was. Maybe try asking someone else at the dealer?

Edit: Also when you say "brakes that last 18k miles" are you just referring to pads?
You are right,

I don't have problem with the car over all, I love it and that's why I bought it.
At same time this is no performance vehicle or a sport car. The brakes and tires shouldn't be wearing out so fast but I understand why they did it, For comfort and safety. Like I said, it is something they need to disclose.but the dealers don't even know about it.

And brake pads and rotors, it seems that the factory f sport brake pads last about 10-25k miles. Obviously depending on how you drive.

Last edited by jkonquer; 11-05-17 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 11:54 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
You are right,

I don't have problem with the car over all, I love it and that's why I bought it.
At same time this is no performance vehicle or a sport car. The brakes and tires shouldn't be wearing out so fast but I understand why they did it, For comfort and safety. Like I said, it is something they need to disclose.but the dealers don't even know about it.

And brake pads and rotors, it seems that the factory f sport brake pads last about 10-25k miles. Obviously depending on how you drive.
I agree with all of you, and it’s not only for you guys in US, I’m in Vancouver, Canada, I took my IS 2015 F Sport as well for a defected tire pressure sensor, just to found out that I need new tires, my car has only 20K Kms, I knew about the tire issue reading here but the point again is having an expensive car you shouldn’t have to be worry about this things as this early of owning the car, again I wish I knew about this before but at this point I’m considering another brand, you all are right, we shouldn’t have to be concern for this small things!!
Old 11-05-17, 02:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
grobies (11-14-17), MX73 (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 04:02 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
First time I ever see this, I visited a few Lexus dealership before I bought my car, never saw this info, I wish I did.
Old 11-05-17, 04:57 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

It's actually not as hard as you'd think to snap these bolts. I would invest in a good torque wrench as suggested. If there was anti-seize or lube on the bolts, that can also allow excessive torque to applied unknowingly.
Old 11-05-17, 05:09 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Makool
First time I ever see this, I visited a few Lexus dealership before I bought my car, never saw this info, I wish I did.
I think there is an insert in the owners manual about the lifespan of high performance tires.
Old 11-05-17, 07:48 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
lol

Not only that is a false statement or info, it is not the reason why the tires are wearing down unevenly. Sure, the these tires are rated at 140 thread wear, it is a grand touring tire, soft tires made for noise reduction and comfort. Not for “performance” at all.

My turanzas lasted 18k miles and probably another 10k if it wasn’t for the inner wear. The rears were perfectly fine though. And i usually change my tires on my other cars at 40-50k miles just for the reference.

i guaranteed that the dealers only put that there since they have gotten too many complaints of the wear as my 2014 is350 did not come with it.

Last edited by jkonquer; 11-05-17 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 08:28 PM
MX73
Racer

lol

Not only that is a false statement or info, it is not the reason why the tires are wearing down unevenly. Sure, the these tires are rated at 140 thread wear, it is a grand touring tire, soft tires made for noise reduction and comfort. Not for “performance” at all.

My turanzas lasted 18k miles and probably another 10k if it wasn’t for the inner wear. The rears were perfectly fine though. And i usually change my tires on my other cars at 40-50k miles just for the reference.

i guaranteed that the dealers only put that there since they have gotten too many complaints of the wear as my 2014 is350 did not come with it.
First off, they are stagger so you can't rotate them.
Second off, some IS carries summer tires so they’ll wear out faster.
Third, false statement? Highly unlikely.

Last edited by MX73; 11-06-17 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 07:15 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by MX73
First off, they are stagger so you can rotate them.
Second off, some IS carries summer tires so they’ll wear out faster.
Third, false statement? Highly unlikely.
1. You are Not understanding the uneven wear the front tires on these vehicles. Although I have explained it several time, please go research on it.
2. All IS f sports models come with Bridgestone Turanzas, I currently have Michelin Pilot Super Sport (The best summer tires you can purchase) and has better thread life than the turanzas (300 on MSS vs 140 on Turanzas). Again, I explained the specs of the tires on my last post.
3. Again Turanzas are not a performance tire, it is a grand touring tire. And going back to 1, the uneven wear is nothing to with the tires therefore that placard on the window is a "False Statement".

Last edited by jkonquer; 11-06-17 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 07:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

lol

That sticker was on my 2014 IS350. I also had one on my 15 GS350.
Old 11-06-17, 07:45 AM
MX73
Racer

1. You are Not understanding the uneven wear the front tires on these vehicles. Although I have explained it several time, please go research on it.
2. All IS f sports models come with Bridgestone Turanzas, I currently have Michelin Pilot Super Sport (The best summer tires you can purchase) and has better thread life than the turanzas (300 on MSS vs 140 on Turanzas). Again, I explained the specs of the tires on my last post.
3. Again Turanzas are not a performance tire, it is a grand touring tire. And going back to 1, the uneven wear is nothing to with the tires therefore that placard on the window is a "False Statement".
1) I DO UNDERSTAND IT. The majority of Lexus vehicle have negative camber set from the factory. I work at the dealership.
2) False, not all IS have Turanzas tires. My F Sport IS came with Dunlop Sport Maxx tires from the factory.
3) Those are Turanzas you are talking about. The Dunlop Sport Maxx are SUMMER TIRES.

What do you consider uneven wear? MB and BMW are the same way.
Old 11-06-17, 08:15 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,724 Likes on 1,897 Posts
Question

2) False, not all IS have Turanzas tires. My F Sport IS came with Dunlop Sport Maxx tires from the factory.
3) Those are Turanzas you are talking about. The Dunlop Sport Maxx are SUMMER TIRES.
OP, do you have the summer or all-season tires? I feel like this needs to be answered.
Old 11-06-17, 08:43 AM
MX73
Racer

F-sport

Non-FSport
Old 11-06-17, 08:51 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

1) I DO UNDERSTAND IT. The majority of Lexus vehicle have negative camber set from the factory. I work at the dealership.

What do you consider uneven wear? MB and BMW are the same way.
No, you don't understand it. It is Not the negative camber (Factory front camber is set at approximately -0.5) causing the inner Front tire wear. It is due to soft front lower control arm bushings causing the suspension to turn toe-out.
Unless you are in the certain climate, Majority of the IS will come with the Turanzas (https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire...-er33-rftwhich) and which are summer tires. Either way both type of tires are experiencing the same inner wear. ****If we follow your logic, then the Dunlop Sport Maxx with 240 thread wear should last longer than Turanzas 140 thread wear. But they are still putting that placard on the window claiming it will only last 15k miles.

and yes, some of other vehicles experience same issue, such as G35, 350Z, some Mazdas. There are extreme toe wear on the front tires.

Last edited by jkonquer; 11-06-17 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Snapped a stud using ONE hand last night.