IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Snapped a stud using ONE hand last night.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-17, 05:24 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped a stud using ONE hand last night.

Got my snow tires swapped onto the rims yesterday, put 19 lug nuts on using the crappy lexus lug wrench, the 20th one snapped with one hand. This is a leased F-Sport. Lexus front desk lady told me not under warranty. Wtf ? It's a 3 dollar part..

Have owned about 10 cars, never had this happen, the only other person to touch these lugnuts was the lexus dealership when the "rotated" the tires.. which were trashed at 12,000 miles, another wtf?

Between this crap, tires that are down to the belts at 12,000 miles and squeaky breaks I may be looking for another brand in a year when the lease is up.

After doing some research it seems like this happens when a tech using an airgun and torques the F out of the lugnuts putting the back on. I was seriously using one hand to tighten the lugnuts down to where it required two hands, this one just kept spinning, I thought to myself "that's odd this one is taking too long" and just as that thought entered my head, SNAP. Pretty surprising that they aren't even interested in fixing it as they are the number 1 customer service rated brand... no?

So I've been looking for guides to fix it, but all the pictures are gone.. assuming photobucket is the cause, anyone have a nice guide on how to fix? I already bought the 2.68 part at autozone.
Old 11-03-17, 05:43 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Press the broken lug out the back with a C-clamp and use it to press the new one in. Or take it to a tire shop.
Old 11-03-17, 05:46 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

I saw that, a mechanic friend said it isn't that easy, I guess we'll see tomorrow.

I put the old one in a vice expecting to need a breaker bar to get it out. Again, used the lexus bar, TWO fingers and 30 seconds later it was done. This thing wasn't even close to tight!!

Old 11-03-17, 07:16 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Dealerships are fun like that. The new guy does lubes and tire rotations. I have yet to have a dealership or even a tire shop be anywhere near to proper torque on lug nuts. Buy a torque wrench and get your self a good deep socket. Always check the lug nuts after a service. Hell over doing the lug nuts can cause the rotors to warp, studs to snap (as you are seeing), and weird *** vibrations.
Old 11-03-17, 07:26 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This happened to me. Caused by my least favorite local dealership. I used a ball joint separator to push the old stud out. Then I went to advance auto parts and bought a new one and used the same tool to push a new one in. All of 15 minutes later I was back in business.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GearWren...FQ-oyAodaTENsw
Old 11-03-17, 08:06 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Thanks guys, will pick that tool up and will get a torque wrench tomorrow Darq. Crazy how you really do have to do everything yourself these days, even down to making sure your lug nuts are bolted on correctly!
Old 11-04-17, 12:00 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

this happened to my previous vehicle and the people at the tire shop who put on my tires broke it and said "it broke coming off due to the last person who touched this vehicle before us. They torqued it down too much (or some BS reason)" They didn't want to take responsibility, how do I know if they didn't accidentally break it themselves? Anyways, after a long talk with corporate they decided to comp me for the fix.

Had to replace the whole part on the back that has all 5 studs as they couldn't just fix it (forgot the name of the part), wasn't cheap at all. Hopefully the tools above work, keep us posted on the outcome.

As for the tires trashed at 12k, the dealership at my 10k service gave me a paper which color code indicated "yellow" on tire wear and brake wear, which was like 40-50% or something like that. I was just as surprised, I mean the car only has 8,500 miles on it. Anyone else have this at low mileage?

Last edited by premier3IS; 11-04-17 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-04-17, 04:14 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by premier3IS
this happened to my previous vehicle and the people at the tire shop who put on my tires broke it and said "it broke coming off due to the last person who touched this vehicle before us. They torqued it down too much (or some BS reason)" They didn't want to take responsibility, how do I know if they didn't accidentally break it themselves? Anyways, after a long talk with corporate they decided to comp me for the fix.

Had to replace the whole part on the back that has all 5 studs as they couldn't just fix it (forgot the name of the part), wasn't cheap at all. Hopefully the tools above work, keep us posted on the outcome.

As for the tires trashed at 12k, the dealership at my 10k service gave me a paper which color code indicated "yellow" on tire wear and brake wear, which was like 40-50% or something like that. I was just as surprised, I mean the car only has 8,500 miles on it. Anyone else have this at low mileage?
My fronts were down to the belts!! Couldn't believe it.
Old 11-04-17, 02:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,724 Likes on 1,897 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
My fronts were down to the belts!! Couldn't believe it.
What pressures do you run? How do you drive?

I see you have the 350 F Sport AWD, which is pretty similar to the 300 F Sport AWD that I have, at least in terms of the tires/wheels and the fact it's AWD. I am at about 13,000 miles today. I just went in for service three weeks ago, and the service guys said the tires are fine but "require inspection next service" or something to that effect. I drive somewhat quickly when I'm alone, so I am curious what conditions you're in to where the tires wore out so fast.
Old 11-04-17, 05:20 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Look for threads on front bushings and variable camber. It’s a feature/issue with our car.
Old 11-04-17, 09:12 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
Look for threads on front bushings and variable camber. It’s a feature/issue with our car.
Right, I've already seen said threads (assuming you were replying to me...), but I am just trying to understand, admittedly for my own benefit why this type of wear would be happening so that I can avoid it. I also have the F Sport and haven't run into it yet, though I have more miles than OP.
Old 11-04-17, 09:15 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

It was for you and the OP, and general reminder. I still need to check mine, so far the wear has been normal, but I keep an eye on them.
Old 11-04-17, 09:55 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Stock tires are trash. I think they are rated for 15k.
Old 11-04-17, 10:50 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I feel you OP, I also bought a lexus thinking that it would be a worry free experience. And it has been completely opposite. From the uneven inner front tire wears, lack of camber adjustment (is350 rwd), brakes that only lasts 18k miles, and it seems like the shocks are the next thing on the list. My STI was less maintenance than this vehicle.

As far as the front tires goes, i made a thread few month back and it seems to be the soft front lower control arm bushing is causing the wear. There are few companies makes bushing kits for it. The brakes are actually very cheap and easy to replace around $60/pair. Other than that it is not that bad. I just have wished that I would have known about these issues prior to buying the car (apparently the problem goes way back to the last gen model and few other lexus models). And it is very hard to find right answers since nobody really talks about it.
Old 11-04-17, 11:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I feel you OP, I also bought a lexus thinking that it would be a worry free experience. And it has been completely opposite. From the uneven inner front tire wears, lack of camber adjustment (is350 rwd), brakes that only lasts 18k miles, and it seems like the shocks are the next thing on the list. My STI was less maintenance than this vehicle.

As far as the front tires goes, i made a thread few month back and it seems to be the soft front lower control arm bushing is causing the wear. There are few companies makes bushing kits for it. The brakes are actually very cheap and easy to replace around $60/pair. Other than that it is not that bad. I just have wished that I would have known about these issues prior to buying the car (apparently the problem goes way back to the last gen model and few other lexus models). And it is very hard to find right answers since nobody really talks about it.
I guess this is a good case of reliability versus maintenance cost. Sure, the IS isn't going to leave you stranded, but especially in F Sport trim, it has some wear items that need attending to more often than your average car. I for one understand why these things wear out - I mean the OEM tires aside, they are in fact junk - and am okay with a bit extra on maintaining the brake pads, hearing the squeaking brakes when it's cold, and watching for inner tire wear. There's a compromise for sure when you have a more sporty car that weighs as much as the IS does, but at least random electronic things don't fail or fuel pumps don't suddenly go out. At least, I've heard very few stories of those sorts with this vehicle.

This is not to undermine the OP's concerns, as it does seem this has happened to other owners before and is something Lexus needs to address on a broader level. I am honestly appalled the "front desk lady" was so sure it wasn't under warranty given your low mileage and also just how cheap the part was. Maybe try asking someone else at the dealer?

Edit: Also when you say "brakes that last 18k miles" are you just referring to pads?

Quick Reply: Snapped a stud using ONE hand last night.