IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should my car be considered totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 04:35 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut93
so are you saying that your insurance was essentially the middle man? Your insurance paid you and got the money from back from his insurance? Or your insurance told their insurance what to pay?
Basically, yes.
First I don't even know who actually hit me other than witnesses gave me partial info of the car hitting me.
I have full coverage so I went to my insurance to file a claim. The claim adjuster said I have to pay the deductible because it's a hit and run accident.
The claim adjuster told that the car would be totalled because of frame damage.
The adjuster gave me option to buy the car back if I want to. At the time, fair market value for my Matrix was 8K-8.5K. They paid me 9K-500 deductible + sale tax on 9K + pro-rate registration. And if I want to buy the car, it would be 2K. If I opt to buy the car, they would paid me 7K + sale take on 7K. I opt not to buy the car because was thinking of buying the van. So the accident just happened at the right time . I use that 10K payout for the down payment on the Sienna.
A week after they cut me the check, the adjuster called me and told that they found the other driver and they take full responsible for the accident. So my insurance refund me that 500 deductible.
I have no clue anything after that. Basically, my insurance took care of me, then went after the other party for what they paid out to me.

Last edited by MatrixPC; 11-07-17 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 09:22 AM
Arrin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh wow, very similar to mine. How does your car drive now?? Any issues??
Drives fine, just minor suspension issues from the accident but those parts were replaced.
Old 11-08-17, 09:26 AM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: Geico - His Insurance - has an estimate of repairs for $18k
Old 11-08-17, 10:32 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 500 Likes on 249 Posts

UPDATE: Geico - His Insurance - has an estimate of repairs for $18k
Is this estimate replacing with OEM new parts? or is any aftermarket being used?
and have you talk to your insurance about this already?
Old 11-08-17, 10:34 AM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
Is this estimate replacing with OEM new parts? or is any aftermarket being used?
and have you talk to your insurance about this already?
I saw there were some after market parts which I will discuss with them. And I have not discussed this with my insurance just yet.
Old 11-10-17, 11:28 AM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: My car has been considered totaled by the at-fault party's insurance - Geico. They estimated $21k in damages. Thank you for all of your input. The flooring in my trunk and back seats were cracked due to the crash.

New question: What should look for in a payout? They said they will only pay for a rental for 5 days. After that, if I haven't found a car, I'll be carless. Is there anyway to fight this?
Old 11-10-17, 12:07 PM
specONE
Racer

UPDATE: My car has been considered totaled by the at-fault party's insurance - Geico. They estimated $21k in damages. Thank you for all of your input. The flooring in my trunk and back seats were cracked due to the crash.

New question: What should look for in a payout? They said they will only pay for a rental for 5 days. After that, if I haven't found a car, I'll be carless. Is there anyway to fight this?
Glad to hear your car is totaled, not worth the trouble you may face down the line after it is repaired.
Its better in the long run.
My estimate repair was pretty close

No, once they pay you out its pretty much on your own to find new transportation.
They will typically go searching Used car market in your area with similar equipped options and mileage and use that gauge payout amount.

Hope you find another 3IS and stay with us on this forum

Last edited by specONE; 11-10-17 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 12:12 PM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
Glad to hear your car is totaled, not worth the trouble you may face down the line after it is repaired.
Its better in the long run.
My estimate repair was pretty close

No, once they pay you out its pretty much on your own to find new transportation.
They will typically go searching Used car market in your area with similar equipped options and mileage and use that gauge payout amount.
I've received documentation for the valuation of my car. They compared it to only one 2014 IS F-Sport. The other 10 cars they compared it to are 2014 IS w/o F-sport package. Is this something I should be okay with? Should I get a third party to do another car valuation?
Old 11-10-17, 12:34 PM
specONE
Racer

I've received documentation for the valuation of my car. They compared it to only one 2014 IS F-Sport. The other 10 cars they compared it to are 2014 IS w/o F-sport package. Is this something I should be okay with? Should I get a third party to do another car valuation?
Well how far off is it from Blue Book Value for your area?

Typically from what I've seen of friends cars that get totaled, payout is actually very generous for the vehicle and most times I am surprised and was guessing lower, But that is in area I am at (California)
Old 11-12-17, 06:25 PM
nehal1802
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find other F-Sport cars in your area and send your adjuster the link if you think the value is too low. Basically you need to explain that you need to be able to get a comparable or better car without spending a cent out of pocket (especially since you were not even in the vehicle when this happened).

Also, the damage looks like it can easily be fixed with a proper body shop however the reason it was most likely totaled is due to quarter panel damage which is $$$ to fix. You could also get some private quotes on repair and buy the car back. Since it was hit from the back, the drive will be a lot easier to restore back to stock than if it was hit from the front.
Old 11-13-17, 04:14 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Cars don't have frames. And that's not too bad of an accident. Pretty run-of-the-mill type repair. It's all going to come down to the cost of repair vs. the value of the car. It can be a pretty expensive repair just cause Lexus parts and shop time is expensive.

Either way, cars are not really mysterious "oh it'll never run right again" "oh the frame" etc etc. This is pretty standard stuff. Car manufacturers have official repair procedures for just about every situation. You can remove the entire side of the car and replace it if done right.