IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should my car be considered totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 01:07 AM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should my car be considered totaled?

Long story short my car got hit while parked. The at-fault driver may have been going about 40 mph. My driver's side rear bumper was swiped and my wheel was pushed and bent/titled in towards my car. My car was pushed into the curb and the impact caused my car to hit the parked car (honda) in front of mine, however, I purposefully parked far from the honda so my front didn't get as much damage. His insurance (geico) believes my car is repairable but I'm worried it may have some frame damage. My tow truck driver said my car was driving crooked. He said he wasn't sure if it was due to the tilted wheel or because the impact caused the car frame to shift. Not too familiar with this so any advice would be much appreciated! I am meeting with the adjuster and body shop to review an estimate for repairs on Monday and want to make sure I know what I'm looking at and should be looking for before going in.
Attached Thumbnails Should my car be considered totaled?-img_7607.jpg   Should my car be considered totaled?-img_7595.jpg   Should my car be considered totaled?-img_7589.jpg   Should my car be considered totaled?-img_7605.jpg   Should my car be considered totaled?-img_7612.jpg  

Old 11-05-17, 01:51 AM
Ispeedca
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will really depend if the frame is twisted, from what I can see the car seems ok but look for gaps between components that are not straight like doors fenders skirt etc, that will give you a good idea if anything moved. Only the estimator will know if its scrap. Unfortunately it's a big job as they will have to solder a new back part and the black book value of your car vs repairing it will probably make them repair it instead of buying you another car...
The following users liked this post:
peanut93 (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 08:20 AM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ispeedca
It will really depend if the frame is twisted, from what I can see the car seems ok but look for gaps between components that are not straight like doors fenders skirt etc, that will give you a good idea if anything moved. Only the estimator will know if its scrap. Unfortunately it's a big job as they will have to solder a new back part and the black book value of your car vs repairing it will probably make them repair it instead of buying you another car...
They will have to replace my rims/tires etc too because they were all damaged from the wreck. The at-fault car was flipped to the side. That's how serious the accident was. Do you happen to have and estimate $ amount for soldering a new back part?
Old 11-05-17, 08:28 AM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
I would offer to accept lower value rather than take a car back that had frame damage.
No matter what they tell you, you won't know if the car goes/stops straight etc. until you drive it - and they won't do it over no matter what you say.
Is there any possibility for me to have the repair shop fix it and if it doesn't drive straight, I can have geico take it and total it out? If repairable, I will repair at a lexus certified body shop which also happens to be a geico preferred body shop.
Old 11-05-17, 09:19 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut93
Is there any possibility for me to have the repair shop fix it and if it doesn't drive straight, I can have geico take it and total it out? If repairable, I will repair at a lexus certified body shop which also happens to be a geico preferred body shop.
No, insurance is only going to pay once. Its on the repair facility to get it back to normal, so if it doesn't drive properly you bring it back to the repair shop and keep fighting with them.

Also, i don't think you really have a choice what the insurance company will choose.
Since they will choose the cheaper option as well as a threshold mark for totaled a car. Something like if repairs costs more than what they can sell it to scrapyard for salvage. Which is probably 15k or so.

Last edited by ClubLUser; 11-05-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 09:53 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 500 Likes on 249 Posts

Current mileage of car and year of the car will play a factor if it's totaled or repairable.

If you want to total it, I'd talk to the body shop and see how close it is and they can work out estimate to be higher to report to insurance to agree to total lost it.
I would get your insurance in on this you help you figure for what you want. Be it repaired it totaled lost. Your deductible will not come into play if you are not at fault
peanut93 (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 02:55 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
Not sure when/if possible: I had a car totaled (I got the book value), and bought the car from the insurance company for the "scrap value" - and it was still driveable, and worth more than I paid in parts and spares.

The traditional way of raising the damage to make it a total is vandalize the interior: slash each panel with a razor, and break every window. Giving the shop guy $100 gets it done.
This is never safe (meaning it can hurt you), and only works if you have a poker face.
Pretty sure that's like insurance fraud. I'm sure he can get it totalled by going to a lexus authorized repair facility in which everything will be inflated, but that's if the insurance company lets him take it there. Insurance companies have a pool of authorized repair facilities and the one he chooses might not be it.
peanut93 (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 03:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Pretty sure that's like insurance fraud. I'm sure he can get it totalled by going to a lexus authorized repair facility in which everything will be inflated, but that's if the insurance company lets him take it there. Insurance companies have a pool of authorized repair facilities and the one he chooses might not be it.
In California where the poster is, you can take it to ANY repair center by law. They will send their adjuster to that facility to also inspect the car and then both will determine what the costs will be.
peanut93 (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 03:38 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
In California where the poster is, you can take it to ANY repair center by law. They will send their adjuster to that facility to also inspect the car and then both will determine what the costs will be.
Ah, forgot that detail. In my experience it was how i said it... in Ontario, Canada. Assumed it was the same..
peanut93 (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 03:46 PM
Ispeedca
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They will have to replace my rims/tires etc too because they were all damaged from the wreck. The at-fault car was flipped to the side. That's how serious the accident was. Do you happen to have and estimate $ amount for soldering a new back part?
I can't say, It all depends what moved and up to where. I was in the bodyshops business for 15 years and everytime i saw a car to was closed to be a total loss according to me i had estimators ask us to fix it. It really depends on who looks at it and if he think car will be cheaper to repair or scrap. The welding price will also depends on parts availability in your area and who does it. Don't worry about a thing, insurances are scared of frame damages because it can cost them more down the line then to just scrap it and all repairs done to your car are under warranty for life in most places. For example, i bought a 3000miles rsx that had 24000$ in damages according to insurance and even with oem acura parts it ended up costing 3500$ to bring it back to new condition.
peanut93 (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 04:42 PM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
Current mileage of car and year of the car will play a factor if it's totaled or repairable.

If you want to total it, I'd talk to the body shop and see how close it is and they can work out estimate to be higher to report to insurance to agree to total lost it.
I would get your insurance in on this you help you figure for what you want. Be it repaired it totaled lost. Your deductible will not come into play if you are not at fault
So are you saying instead of using the at-fault driver's insurance to use mine for a higher chance of it being totaled? My car is a 2014 IS F Sport with 60k miles, kept in pristine condition prior to the accident.

Last edited by peanut93; 11-05-17 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 04:48 PM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Kitabel - unfortunately I've already taken my car to a lexus authorized body shop which also happens to be a geico authorized body shop as well (found this out after i chose the body shop). They have already seen the damage.

ClubLUser - The body shop my IS is at is Lexus authorized and geico authorized. I don't know if that changes the inflation of prices or not. They started disassembling my car on Friday to look for any further damage. Should be meeting with them tomorrow for inspection and estimate of repairs. I'll post the estimate on here once I receive it.
Old 11-05-17, 05:04 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 500 Likes on 249 Posts

So are you saying instead of using the at-fault driver's insurance to use mine for a higher chance of it being totaled? My car is a 2014 IS F Sport with 60k miles, kept in pristine condition prior to the accident.
Yes maybe/it depends, if At-fault insurance is trying to fix it with aftermarket items instead of OEM.
If your insurance company only uses OEM parts, the estimate to repair will obviously be higher then even if labor rate stays the same. your insurance will foot the bill to the repair shop and then chase after the other insurance company to recoup the money back.

What is Blue Book value of your car for your area?

I see a $20k at least of damage estimate repair cost from the pics.
Old 11-05-17, 05:34 PM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
Yes maybe/it depends, if At-fault insurance is trying to fix it with aftermarket items instead of OEM.
If your insurance company only uses OEM parts, the estimate to repair will obviously be higher then even if labor rate stays the same. your insurance will foot the bill to the repair shop and then chase after the other insurance company to recoup the money back.

What is Blue Book value of your car for your area?

I see a $20k at least of damage estimate repair cost from the pics.
I told the adjuster that I want OEM only. And he estimated 10k in damages by just looking at it. Before I authorize any repairs being done, I will look at the estimate to make sure they are using OEM and fixing all that needs to be. $20k of damage is very close to the threshold of totaling my car.

Blue book value of my car is about 26k-28k.
Old 11-05-17, 06:38 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Like specONE said...use your own insurance and they will go after at-fault insurance. This will speed up the process and ensure you will get your car fixed without shortcuts and with new OEM parts. Now if you need a rental car, hopefully you bought that coverage on your insurance or you’ll have to go after the insurance yourself for a rental car.

On the back half, I see at least $10-15K in damages...so with front damage, axel, frame, suspension, and wheel issues...probably looking at at least $20-30K in total damages. They will probably end up repainting almost your whole car in order for the paint to match, and that will cost quite a bit. Hopefully your insurance will consider it totaled...it’ll never feel the same.

Quick Reply: Should my car be considered totaled?