IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How easy is it to steal a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-17, 12:00 PM
3isIexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How easy is it to steal a Lexus?

I just purchased a new Lexus IS200T!

However, one of the things that the dealership says is rampant for any car that has touch unlock, proximity unlock, etc... Is that these cars are prone to be stolen using a signal magnifier if you have the car fob on the person. What can be done to prevent this scenario?

I've heard that you can purchase the lojack system and hope cops will find it immediately, purchase a steel wheel lock, put your key fob in a RFID blocker that prevents it from sending a signal. I heard in some cars, if you click lock and lock + hold to shut off the car's headlights (essentially locking twice), it will reset the code so the proximity unlock won't work until you near the get car.

What are ways that you lower the chance that your car will be stolen. For criminals with these technologies, is it enough to buy a wheel lock? I'm guessing they won't bring a hacksaw with them either if they're using these high tech equipment.

Last edited by 3isIexus; 11-12-17 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-17, 12:57 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a good post. I've often wondered this myself.

The LoJack system is too wishy washy for it to be an effective system.

I would say a kill switch wired into the ignition and fuel pump would help make stealing the actual car more difficult.
I also wanted a system with a GPS tracker and a remote kill switch (but I've not really found a system with a reliable/proven remote kill switch)

For the wheel theft, my research says there's really no way to stop this given enough time for the thieves... however there is this one company:
http://rimlox.com/

This company backs their wheel locks with a guarantee that if anyone should legitimately steal your wheels - they will reimburse you for the entire cost of the wheels and tires.
The guarantee comes with some annoying processes though. Their wheel locks key must remained sealed for this guarantee to remain in effect, which means you have to constantly ship the key system back to them to get resealed whenever you need to use your personal 2-piece wheel lock system (comes with a "dealer" key as well which is single piece).

Their wheel lock system is one of the most unique in the market though.
  • The steel wheel locks seat super shallow/recessed into the wheels
  • The wheel lock key itself is a 2 piece system (one small piece stays with your keys and the other can be left in the car). This way the thieves will only ever have part of the key. Now, if they have your car keys as well... I'd say you have bigger problems lol.
  • The key patterns are unique (so that no one else can simply buy your wheel lock key).
  • They have a dummy cap that goes over the shallow lock, so that a thief would be caught off guard in terms of preparedness
I often just ignore the wheel lock guarantee as it's a hassle.
I simply just use the locks themselves for what it is (as its already a good system).

Phew... that was a lot of typing, I'm interested to hear in other user creative solutions.
Old 11-12-17, 01:14 PM
3isIexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSense
This is a good post. I've often wondered this myself.

The LoJack system is too wishy washy for it to be an effective system.

I would say a kill switch wired into the ignition and fuel pump would help make stealing the actual car more difficult.
I also wanted a system with a GPS tracker and a remote kill switch (but I've not really found a system with a reliable/proven remote kill switch)

For the wheel theft, my research says there's really no way to stop this given enough time for the thieves... however there is this one company:
http://rimlox.com/

This company backs their wheel locks with a guarantee that if anyone should legitimately steal your wheels - they will reimburse you for the entire cost of the wheels and tires.
The guarantee comes with some annoying processes though. Their wheel locks key must remained sealed for this guarantee to remain in effect, which means you have to constantly ship the key system back to them to get resealed whenever you need to use your personal 2-piece wheel lock system (comes with a "dealer" key as well which is single piece).

Their wheel lock system is one of the most unique in the market though.
  • The steel wheel locks seat super shallow/recessed into the wheels
  • The wheel lock key itself is a 2 piece system (one small piece stays with your keys and the other can be left in the car). This way the thieves will only ever have part of the key. Now, if they have your car keys as well... I'd say you have bigger problems lol.
  • The key patterns are unique (so that no one else can simply buy your wheel lock key).
  • They have a dummy cap that goes over the shallow lock, so that a thief would be caught off guard in terms of preparedness
I often just ignore the wheel lock guarantee as it's a hassle.
I simply just use the locks themselves for what it is (as its already a good system).

Phew... that was a lot of typing, I'm interested to hear in other user creative solutions.

Ahh, for wheel lock, I was thinking about car steering wheel lock made out of forged steel so they can't turn the wheel. Haha, sorry for the confusion. My logic is that if the high tech criminals can dupe your car's signal, they most likely won't bring a hacksaw with them to be discrete. I'm assuming a lot of things, but any criminals with these technology probably won't try to hacksaw something that they will take 5-10 minutes and be a target for onlookers.

If they want to steal a car, they probably will, but I'm hoping there are measures or other suggestions people might have to prevent being a target.

picture of a random product as reference:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 3isIexus; 11-12-17 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-12-17, 01:18 PM
gte
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I could steal it in a few minutes with a roll back
Old 11-12-17, 01:43 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3isIexus
Ahh, for wheel lock, I was thinking about car steering wheel lock made out of forged steel so they can't turn the wheel. Haha, sorry for the confusion. My logic is that if the high tech criminals can dupe your car's signal, they most likely won't bring a hacksaw with them to be discrete. I'm assuming a lot of things, but any criminals with these technology probably won't try to hacksaw something that they will take 5-10 minutes and be a target for onlookers.

If they want to steal a car, they probably will, but I'm hoping there are measures or other suggestions people might have to prevent being a target.

picture of a random product as reference: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Steering-Self-defense-Broken-Windows/dp/B073YTLR8S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510521418&sr=8-5&keywords=car+wheel+lock&dpID=316fiV8tClL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Oh wow, that "wheel lock" completely crossed my mind lol! Sorry.

Originally Posted by IS300GTE
I could steal it in a few minutes with a roll back
LoL, this is true... I don't think you can prevent anyone having a tow truck/lift system from physically moving your car.

Edit:
Here's another idea: this device has the added bonus of disabling the pedal accelerator while also doubling as a throttle enhancer.
https://afepower.com/afe-power-77-16...ower-converter

It would be using the same sort of concept as a kill switch.
Strategically placed, I imagine it would help slow the thief down if they don't know what they're looking for.

Last edited by LexSense; 11-12-17 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added throttle controller idea
Old 11-12-17, 04:10 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Because of the RFID nature of our vehicles, the best thing you can do is never use the Lock/Unlock buttons on your remote, always use the touch features of the door handle.

As for the signal boosters where a thief sits next to you in a restaurant with the booster in his pocket and his buddy is outside next to your car, the best thing to do is turn off your FOB whenever you get out of the car. There is a key press that you can do which keeps it from transmitting which is what it normally constantly does.
Old 11-12-17, 04:24 PM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So what is the key press you are referring to?
Old 11-12-17, 05:22 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

If they want it they will get it.
Old 11-13-17, 12:48 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

There is a lot of preventative care in here. What happens if a car does get stolen? Can Lexus track it? Do we need an active Enform subscription?
Old 11-13-17, 02:53 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

On many occasions, the thieves will boost your car when you're at home and the car is parked outside. They will creep behind your front door and use the signal amplifier from there, while the other dude will get in the car, start it and drive away.
Ofcourse this only works, if you tend to keep the car keys right near your front door.

So after buying my IS, which is also my first car with keyless entry, I started keeping the keys further from the front door, approx. 3-4 meters, so that the signal magnifiers would not work.

As for the wheels, I'm using McGard lock nuts, which sit deep enough that it would (probably) take too long for the thieves to get them off without seriously damaging the rims.

But despite all these measures, you're never really safe and should have your car covered by insurance in case it does get stolen.
Old 11-13-17, 08:30 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
Because of the RFID nature of our vehicles, the best thing you can do is never use the Lock/Unlock buttons on your remote, always use the touch features of the door handle.

As for the signal boosters where a thief sits next to you in a restaurant with the booster in his pocket and his buddy is outside next to your car, the best thing to do is turn off your FOB whenever you get out of the car. There is a key press that you can do which keeps it from transmitting which is what it normally constantly does.
How do you shut it off?
Old 11-20-17, 08:42 AM
route66
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Break2
How do you shut it off?
Originally Posted by a1rh3adsz
So what is the key press you are referring to?
From page 152 of the PDF I have of the user manual:

Electronic Key battery-Saving Function
  • When battery-saving mode is set, battery depletion is minimized by stopping the electronic key from receiving radio waves:
  • Press <KEYFOB UNLOCK BUTTON> twice while pressing and holding <KEYFOB LOCK BUTTON>
  • Confirm that the electronic key indicator flashes 4 times.
  • While the battery-saving mode is set, the smart entry & start system cannot be used.
  • To cancel the function, press any of the electronic key buttons.

I have this activated on my spare key that I leave hidden in the house - should mean the battery will last longer.

BTW, this is my first post here - Great site!
I have already got some useful information here about how to remove the leather gaiter from the gearlever - my gaiter was twisted meaning the leather was horribly pinched when in the Park position.

Last edited by route66; 11-20-17 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Formatting ...
Old 11-20-17, 12:34 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Lojack installed on both our cars. It may not be perfect, but I get a discount on our auto insurance so it eventually pays for itself. I certainly don’t leave any valuables in the car. Beyond that, I choose not to worry about it.
Old 11-20-17, 01:30 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Low low low tech;THE CLUB on the steering wheel!!!!!!
Old 11-20-17, 05:08 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

What if op is really trying to actually steal a lexus and is just gaining information here to find out how plausible it is?

Quick Reply: How easy is it to steal a Lexus?