IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Grinding Fan Sound In Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 12:10 AM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grinding Fan Sound In Dash

Has anyone had this issue? Happens when the car is just started and cold outside. It sounds like when a computer fan starts to wear out. I think it might be related to the heated seats but why would the noise be in the dash.

Old 11-15-17, 11:47 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Were you enjoying some Coke while recording that vid, lol?

It goes away when warm, right? I noticed that you were in R during that vid, does it make the same noise even in Park? When the car is in gear, the engine shifts a bit, and maybe those vibrations are coming from the change in load, but that is a bit louder than normal.

In general, cars do weird things when cold. It's like us humans cranky in the morning when just waking up, but that is louder than I would personally like as well. If the car is under warranty, maybe take it to the stealership to let them have a look.
Old 11-15-17, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

What year is your car and how many miles/km on it? It could be the blower motor.

My 2014's with 76k on it sounds a bit noisier at full speed now that it is winter and cold out.. It made a little noise at high speed but it didn't bother me to get it addressed right away. I would not be surprised if it's on it's way out and don't have anyone's car to compare it too.... I'm thinking it is normal wear and tear as blower motors usually get squeaky and make noise over time. I can see in a car like ours with automatic climate control working a lot harder than a car with your basic heater/AC/fan controls. I'm out the 4 year comprehensive warranty now and forgot to mention it when I had the headlight, media screen and child seat latch cover replaced before it ended. If yours is still under warranty, definitely get it checked out.

Fortunately, the part is relatively cheap, I may attempt a DIY eventually.
https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Le...wd=&origin=pla

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-le...wer-motor.html
Old 11-15-17, 07:06 PM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
What year is your car and how many miles/km on it? It could be the blower motor.

My 2014's with 76k on it sounds a bit noisier at full speed now that it is winter and cold out.. It made a little noise at high speed but it didn't bother me to get it addressed right away. I would not be surprised if it's on it's way out and don't have anyone's car to compare it too.... I'm thinking it is normal wear and tear as blower motors usually get squeaky and make noise over time. I can see in a car like ours with automatic climate control working a lot harder than a car with your basic heater/AC/fan controls. I'm out the 4 year comprehensive warranty now and forgot to mention it when I had the headlight, media screen and child seat latch cover replaced before it ended. If yours is still under warranty, definitely get it checked out.

Fortunately, the part is relatively cheap, I may attempt a DIY eventually.
https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Le...wd=&origin=pla

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-le...wer-motor.html
It sounds exactly like a computer fan that is starting to wear out. If I hit the side of the dash it changes noise. It is def some sort of fan. I just can't believe how cheap cars are made now. I have had a lot of weird issues with this car. My 2005 Corolla XRS I bought new never had any issues.
Old 11-27-17, 01:21 AM
sheltop225
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That almost sounds like my seat fans if I put them on high...but that's bc they are on high lol...

But I do get a creaky sound on startup...kinda like when the radio/ac powers up and there are some actuator noises for a second or two...like maybe it's switching from recirc to fresh or something...
Old 11-27-17, 07:54 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is the air servo, usually happens if you didn’t use the AC for long time and kept the vent open . It happened to me and after 1 week everything returned to normal as soon as I started again to use the AC.

Last edited by AMNss; 11-27-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 11:59 AM
fflores
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is suffering from a similar issue, when you start the car, if you set the heat to upper and lower and you set the temp to 73 and then change to 74, you will hear the sound, it might be from the center console, it might be coming from the dashboard. I stopped by a my local lexus dealership and made a appointment to review this with the service department. I am still under warranty so i'll have them fix this and report back what they found and did