IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2017 is300 First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 07:14 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by is300pl
Thanks for all the replies everyone, this is a great community!

From all the comments above, I think the overall theme is that this is indeed a comfortable car and can be used daily, however it wouldnt be great as a family car. While I had hoped to buy the car new and hold onto it for 10+ years, I think this is probably not feasible. That said, I think I'll look into a used is250/is350 ~ 2-3 years old. This way I can justify holding onto it for ~5 years and I can get something more practical once our family grows.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll keep you posted with my search!

On a side note, how is the power in the is250? I drove the is300 which has about 50 more hp and it seemed adequate for me. Is the is250 very underpowered or is it still fun to drive?
If you like the styling, look at the GS. It may provide you with a little more room as well in the backseat. If its between the IS, I would personally opt for the larger engine, you may feel after owning it like you wish you had the larger engine. You don't ever feel like you wished you got the smaller engine once you have the larger one The GS interior is nicer too.
Old 11-28-17, 07:53 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelifts
I’m 6’3” and 190lbs, athletic built and I find the IS to be comfortable. The hump by the gas pedal has never bothered me. The car is comfortable, love the seats. I feel in tuned with the vehicle. No issue with the power, i have a is350f sport and thats plenty of power for me for a daily driver.
And you can buy an IS300 and get our tune for about $500 and get all the performance of the IS350

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 12-02-17, 06:49 PM
mdk77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a IS300 2017 base. Love it. I am a former IS 2008 250 AWD owner. Quick question - what the hell is “the hump” everyone is talking about? Is it the leather cushion mounted lower right on the console area? If so, its no big deal to me. I am 6’0 180 lbs. No problem. Also, my 250 had 205 HP and this has 255 so its a boost for me. All relative and perspective. Just got the XPEL front kit put on today. 133 miles. It will be my DD in Chicago 60 miles per day minimum. I read about feel on roads - sensitive suspension, etc. My 250 was like that so use to it.
Old 12-02-17, 06:52 PM
mdk77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRRacing
And you can buy an IS300 and get our tune for about $500 and get all the performance of the IS350

Rafi
Can anyone do this? What is the best way to go about it?
Old 12-04-17, 02:14 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I had a great experience with my IS as a daily driver. I’m also 5’10” and 155 lbs. I found it to be very comfortable.

The only time time I ever noticed the AWD hump was on the test drive. It’s far enough back that I never bumped into it so it was never an issue for me.

Nor or did I have issues with scraping.

I did find the rear seat fine for people but ultimately got rid of the IS because it was too tight back there for multiple car seats, one of which was rear facing.

It it was a fantastic car and I’d happily own one again.

With that said, if you didn’t feel the car is right for you, I’d recommend you continue to search for a better fit. Don’t try to convince yourself to like it or you may regret it later.
i have the same feelings and were about the same height and weight too... i think the IS is a perfect size for me, and people fit just fine in the back too, i actually think the hump is nice as a leg rest to me lol
Old 12-04-17, 05:43 PM
is300pl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdk77
I just bought a IS300 2017 base. Love it. I am a former IS 2008 250 AWD owner. Quick question - what the hell is “the hump” everyone is talking about? Is it the leather cushion mounted lower right on the console area? If so, its no big deal to me. I am 6’0 180 lbs. No problem. Also, my 250 had 205 HP and this has 255 so its a boost for me. All relative and perspective. Just got the XPEL front kit put on today. 133 miles. It will be my DD in Chicago 60 miles per day minimum. I read about feel on roads - sensitive suspension, etc. My 250 was like that so use to it.
Do you have an AWD model? The hump only exists in the AWD models, it protrudes into the drivers side footwell. I actually didnt notice it much during my test drive, however i noticed later that during long car drives (I travel often 2+ hour drives for work) I do pull my foot back and wouldnt be able to do so with the hump there.
Old 12-09-17, 11:06 PM
autopal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the engineers at Lexus lazy? or just penny pinchers? I have been wondering for a while now, why on earth they can't design the IS AWD without the hump, and the ability to use the 8 speed??
The 6 speed transmission is so outdated, and is there any car on the market that the transmission you get depends on whether you choose AWD or not? I can't think of one. Lexus has consistently trail the German competition when it comes to fuel economy, I think the 6 speed auto transmission needs to be retired

Last edited by autopal; 12-09-17 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 08:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by autopal
Are the engineers at Lexus lazy? or just penny pinchers? I have been wondering for a while now, why on earth they can't design the IS AWD without the hump, and the ability to use the 8 speed??
The 6 speed transmission is so outdated, and is there any car on the market that the transmission you get depends on whether you choose AWD or not? I can't think of one. Lexus has consistently trail the German competition when it comes to fuel economy, I think the 6 speed auto transmission needs to be retired
I honestly think the programming on the six-speed is partly to blame. This is especially evident if you go into Sport mode and manual shift mode with traction control/VSC totally disabled. If you give it at least 50% throttle, you get noticeably quicker shifts than if the traction control is still on - and I think Sport has something to do with the shift timing as well. If the shifts were this quick when still in automatic, with traction control on, it would be a better transmission experience overall. From videos I've seen, the 8-speed honestly isn't that much quicker in terms of the actual shift - maybe responsiveness, but it's hard to tell on video. I think till they get something akin to the 10-speed into their lower-tier models, they are going to be losing to most of the competition in terms of shifting.