IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking at a new IS 300 awd. Not F sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 12:43 PM
nozz3857
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a new IS 300 awd. Not F sport

Wife wants to trade in her 15 Acura TLX for the IS. I've read conflicting reviews. Consumer reports rates it not great. Said it rides rough and lots of road noise. Need advice from owners. She's also considering a NX 300
Old 12-28-17, 01:12 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nozz3857
Wife wants to trade in her 15 Acura TLX for the IS. I've read conflicting reviews. Consumer reports rates it not great. Said it rides rough and lots of road noise. Need advice from owners. She's also considering a NX 300
Well the NX and IS are far from similar. What's she looking for? Commuter? Fun-to-drive? Comfy? Etc.

Said it rides rough and lots of road noise.
Those claims are somewhat overblown, especially in the non F Sport. Granted, it has firmer suspension tuning than most cars, and it has a little more road noise than you would expect. However, my previous car, a Camry SE, was both louder and less sorted on bumpy pavement. The NX might ride a little better than the IS over bumps, but both have similar noise levels inside.

To be honest, you'll need to have her test drive them. Don't let her or yourself buy a car this expensive without knowing what you want.
Old 12-28-17, 01:22 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I never thought it rides rough or lots of road noise. Has a little noise from my tires but they are cheap ones. I think it's a better upgrade than dealing with german maintenance. Like above said, best to test drive and feel for yourself.
Old 12-28-17, 02:31 PM
nozz3857
Driver School Candidate

We drove both the other day. My wife has never had an suv but thinks she might like one.
Her current car is a loaded 15 TLX fwd. It's super quiet and really drives and handles nice. The premium sound system is very good as well. But it's not that sporty looking.
She likes the look of the IS 300 a lot but doesn't want to take a step back. And the awd is a plus. I've also read where the IS gets bad mpg but some say it's fine. She likes the size of her TLX and doesn't want to go any bigger.
Also, She drives about 60 miles a day round trip to work so mpg is a concern, but not huge.

The NX is really nice too. We know they're 2 different animals. She's just trying to decide which fits our lifestyle best. We're empty nesters. So we only haul 4 people about once a week and one of the grandkids now and then.
We're both 60. But we're sure as hell not ready for boring vehicles. lol
Old 12-28-17, 03:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by nozz3857
We drove both the other day. My wife has never had an suv but thinks she might like one.
Her current car is a loaded 15 TLX fwd. It's super quiet and really drives and handles nice. The premium sound system is very good as well. But it's not that sporty looking.
She likes the look of the IS 300 a lot but doesn't want to take a step back. And the awd is a plus. I've also read where the IS gets bad mpg but some say it's fine. She likes the size of her TLX and doesn't want to go any bigger.
Also, She drives about 60 miles a day round trip to work so mpg is a concern, but not huge.

The NX is really nice too. We know they're 2 different animals. She's just trying to decide which fits our lifestyle best. We're empty nesters. So we only haul 4 people about once a week and one of the grandkids now and then.
We're both 60. But we're sure as hell not ready for boring vehicles. lol
I wouldn't view the IS as being a step back in anything other than, perhaps, acceleration and interior space. If she's not really an enthusiast she probably wouldn't care too much about weight balance or handling feel - but I would expect the IS to be somewhat better in those areas thanks to its RWD-based platform.

The NX is a nice car. In fact if I could have two cars all to myself - say, a "fun" car and a daily - I think something similar to the NX would be my daily/utility car. It wouldn't be a bad choice at all - I like the seats, the looks, the way it rides - though I did find myself wishing it had a smidge more power.
The following users liked this post:
nozz3857 (12-28-17)
Old 12-28-17, 03:42 PM
Panzer126
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you should be looking at the NX more than the IS. You are the target market for the NX. The IS while a great car, is designed to be somewhat sporty and somewhat luxurious but it doesn't do either that well. I love my is350 but it's no 340i/440i.

The only 3is worth getting IMO is the is350 fsport, that is the car the 3is was designed to be. All other trim levels are just to fit into a pricepoint. You can make the argument for the 300, as you can tune it easily but you get my point.

The IS is horrible on gas and the car is really low. All my friends have made comments about climbing in and out of my 350. Test drive a nx with all the bells and whistles and see what you think.
Old 12-28-17, 04:02 PM
nozz3857
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Panzer126
Sounds like you should be looking at the NX more than the IS. You are the target market for the NX. The IS while a great car, is designed to be somewhat sporty and somewhat luxurious but it doesn't do either that well. I love my is350 but it's no 340i/440i.

The only 3is worth getting IMO is the is350 fsport, that is the car the 3is was designed to be. All other trim levels are just to fit into a pricepoint. You can make the argument for the 300, as you can tune it easily but you get my point.

The IS is horrible on gas and the car is really low. All my friends have made comments about climbing in and out of my 350. Test drive a nx with all the bells and whistles and see what you think.
Thanks for the advice. You're probably right. She just told me she likes her Acura. So why just buy another car.
Actually the reason we started looking was to look at the NX. I was the one that got her looking at the IS because I thought it looked pretty badass. But the more I think about, she's right. We wouldn't really be gaining that much.
After all, her TLX is a nice car. Plus, I don't like the idea of bad gas mileage since she drives about 20k per year.
Old 12-29-17, 02:16 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jameshan
I never thought it rides rough or lots of road noise. Has a little noise from my tires but they are cheap ones. I think it's a better upgrade than dealing with german maintenance. Like above said, best to test drive and feel for yourself.
mines an f-sport. it definitely rides rougher and has more road noise than my wifes 5 series. i don't mind it though. it's better than my old vette on both counts (which i didn't mind either).
Old 12-30-17, 08:56 PM
wirelessg
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The IS300 AWD is definitely quiet and rides great in my books! The car absorbs the rough roads nicely and is 100x more comfortable than my old STI (stock and Tein coilover).
Old 12-31-17, 12:58 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Nozz....I was an Acura guy through and through until I bought my IS350 F sport (2015) and then my 2017 model. I had 2 TSX(2006 and 2009), 1 TL (2012), 1 RDX (2013) and 1 ILX (2014) between me and the g/f. The TLX was going to be on my shopping list until I started reading about the ZF unit which scared me away. After enjoying the Lexus, I am not sure I'll ever go back to Acura - The IS is simply amazing and I just love it so much....but I hear what you are saying about the money aspect. We don't have kids and I love cars so that is my indulgence but you will NOT regret the IS.

The only thing is that its a bit smaller interior than the TLX.