IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 11:37 PM
tom_s
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sticker glue residue

I recently installed a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my IS350. I had the tire store remove the tire stickers for me to keep. On the drive home I was shocked how loud the tires sounded. When I got home I checked out the tread and could see exactly where the stickers were because there was a lot of sticker glue residue, so much that the residue actually spanned the tire tread ribs here and there...looked like black lace. I started to pick the stuff off with my fingers but soon gave up as the residue was really sticky and dirty. And I was not about to go at it with a rag and citrus solvent. So I just ignored it. Guess what--after about 150 miles all the sticker glue residue is gone and the tires are quiet. Perhaps all that sticker glue residue was causing all the noise. I love the tires. Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-18, 04:49 AM
gthal
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tom_s
I recently installed a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my IS350. I had the tire store remove the tire stickers for me to keep. On the drive home I was shocked how loud the tires sounded. When I got home I checked out the tread and could see exactly where the stickers were because there was a lot of sticker glue residue, so much that the residue actually spanned the tire tread ribs here and there...looked like black lace. I started to pick the stuff off with my fingers but soon gave up as the residue was really sticky and dirty. And I was not about to go at it with a rag and citrus solvent. So I just ignored it. Guess what--after about 150 miles all the sticker glue residue is gone and the tires are quiet. Perhaps all that sticker glue residue was causing all the noise. I love the tires. Hope this helps.
After 300 miles the Pilot Sport AS 3+ are just as noisy as day 1. In my case, it's not just a loud tread but a loud resonance at fast speeds. My wife compares it to driving over metal grates. Again, they are quiet until higher speeds on the highway when the tread just resonates sound.

The dealer is swapping them for Pilot Sport 4S tires this week under Michelin's satisfaction warranty. I should have just bought the 4S in the first place. I kind of thought the 4S were overkill for the IS350 given the IS350 is a great handling luxury sedan and not really a sports car. However, the 4S will only improve the responsiveness and grip with little sacrifice otherwise so will keep the car in uber fun mode

Last edited by gthal; 04-01-18 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 06:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't think I've heard people complain about the Super Sport noise. I've had Super Sports for 25k miles and love them. They only last 20k miles so that is the compromise over the AS3+. Keep us informed on the PS4 as I'll try them out next
Old 04-01-18, 09:47 PM
Megaman
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had my A/S 3+s on for about 500 miles and I love them.

Theyre better than the stock Turanzas in every way possible.
Old 04-20-18, 05:05 PM
gthal
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
After 300 miles the Pilot Sport AS 3+ are just as noisy as day 1. In my case, it's not just a loud tread but a loud resonance at fast speeds. My wife compares it to driving over metal grates. Again, they are quiet until higher speeds on the highway when the tread just resonates sound.

The dealer is swapping them for Pilot Sport 4S tires this week under Michelin's satisfaction warranty. I should have just bought the 4S in the first place. I kind of thought the 4S were overkill for the IS350 given the IS350 is a great handling luxury sedan and not really a sports car. However, the 4S will only improve the responsiveness and grip with little sacrifice otherwise so will keep the car in uber fun mode
The Pilot Sport 4S were a huge improvement over the AS 3+. Awesome tire. Unfortunately, I decided to get rid of the IS so off they came (with less than 150 miles on the tires, long story) and the OEM Turanza's went back on before it went back to the dealer. If anyone wants a set of 4S tires, they are for sale in the "for sale" section of the forum.
Old 05-07-18, 06:57 AM
dashmer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had seen this thread before I bought a set of AS 3+ last week. I am having the same issue with a strange harmonic sound at ~112 KM/Hr. Lexus technician confirmed that there have been issues with this tire and the IS. I am now considering my options for a change out. Beware to others.
Old 05-07-18, 08:13 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by dashmer
I wish I had seen this thread before I bought a set of AS 3+ last week. I am having the same issue with a strange harmonic sound at ~112 KM/Hr. Lexus technician confirmed that there have been issues with this tire and the IS. I am now considering my options for a change out. Beware to others.
I wonder if this is just a problem with this particular car because I’ve used BOTH the PSS and the PS3+ on my G37S and haven’t had issues and really loved both tires.
Old 05-07-18, 08:17 AM
dashmer
Rookie

It was my understanding from the technician that it is just with the IS.
Old 05-07-18, 08:52 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by dashmer
It was my understanding from the technician that it is just with the IS.
Hmmm I wonder if it has to do with the Pilot family of tires having the contact patch technology (basically keeping the tires very squared and flat to keep massive grip) and the whole camber issue with the IS?
Old 05-07-18, 12:53 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I have AS 3+'s on my 16 200t - I haven't noticed with a strange sound at 70+ mph. I'll pay more attention next time I get the chance, but I also put on some sound-deadening material in my wheel wells when the car was new.
Old 05-07-18, 06:35 PM
dashmer
Rookie

The sound is there at lower speeds but becomes more noticeable over 110 KM/Hr. It does not sound like road noise but more a mid frequency droning sound. Bought them from Lexus so they are looking at other options for me. I am at a loss for what tire to go with now. I originally wanted the Pirelli PZero All Season Plus but, at least in Canada, the rear tire is not available. Not interested in the Michelin PSS, so not sure where to go from here.
Old 05-08-18, 07:47 AM
Will31894
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

After having my continentals for 5k miles i can say all is quiet is smooth!
Old 05-08-18, 08:20 AM
dashmer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Will31894
After having my continentals for 5k miles i can say all is quiet is smooth!
You are using the Continentals ExtremeContact DWS06? If so, could you compare them to the OEM Turanzas in terms of noise, handling, treadlife? I dont care about snow as I have dedicated winter tires.