IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2017 IS 300 Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 12:11 AM
dchen298
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2017 IS 300 Wheel Bearing?

Hey guys, I just had a quick question. So I was driving my 2017 IS 300 about a week ago when there was a huge pothole in the road, so I swerved to the left to avoid it. Unfortunately, I hit the side of the road a bit with my front left wheel when dodging the pothole. Ever since then, my car has produced a loud noise that occurs when I drive over 20 mph. When I turn my steering wheel to the left, like on turns, the noise seems to subside, but when I drive normally or turn to the right, the noise persists. Is this a sign of a damaged front left wheel bearing? I know this isn't an issue with the tire, as I just replaced the tire. If this is indeed the sign of a damaged front left wheel bearing, I'd love to purchase a replacement one online myself to save a bit of money. I was browsing online and this Driveworks Wheel Bearing Assembly Part #NT590140 (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...140/11125801-P) seems to be compatible for the front left of a 2017 IS 300, but I am unsure as I'm a complete newbie in these matters. If anyone could verify that the issue I'm having is indeed a bad wheel bearing, and if anyone could verify that the part I'm trying to purchase would be compatible with a 2017 IS 300, it would be so so greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-12-18, 04:33 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had similar noise at 13,000 miles, but my symptoms were on the opposite side. Im also in NY, so the roads are terrible as you know. I took it in to the dealership and they replaced the right side wheel bearing under warranty. I would suggest you bring it in. They may just cover it for free.
Old 01-12-18, 08:05 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

That's hard to diagnose over the internet. You're likely to damage something else before a wheel bearing. tie rod maybe. does the car drive straight?

You should pull the wheel off and have a look around.
Old 01-12-18, 08:19 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

i hope you got your car inspected by a mechanic after the curb tap, because a number of things could be damaged.

Having that said, a rotational noise can only be due to something rotating obviously, so it's either your wheel, wheel bearing, brake rotor or axle (you're AWD right?)

It very well could be your wheel bearing, however it could be something as simple as your brake rotors making contact with the heat shields. When a brake rotor just barely touches the heat shield, it is very common to have noise change when turning left to right. Check that first. If the rotor is within 1-3mm of touching the rotor at rest, then it's possible it could be the culprit as it may make full contact when you turn the wheel.

If you decide to purchase a wheel bearing, make sure to buy OEM or a reputable OEM bearing company. I have no idea what bearing comes in our cars, but if it's a Koyo bearing for example, then at the very least buy a Koyo bearing from a 3rd party or best, buy OEM. Wheel bearings are very crucial parts so it's important not to buy a cheap chinese bearing.
Old 01-12-18, 08:45 AM
dchen298
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
That's hard to diagnose over the internet. You're likely to damage something else before a wheel bearing. tie rod maybe. does the car drive straight?

You should pull the wheel off and have a look around.
Thank you for your response. Yes, the car does indeed drive straight. Noise only occurs at 20mph+ when driving, and the noise only subsides when turning steering wheel to the left.
Old 01-12-18, 08:47 AM
dchen298
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CLUM
i hope you got your car inspected by a mechanic after the curb tap, because a number of things could be damaged.

Having that said, a rotational noise can only be due to something rotating obviously, so it's either your wheel, wheel bearing, brake rotor or axle (you're AWD right?)

It very well could be your wheel bearing, however it could be something as simple as your brake rotors making contact with the heat shields. When a brake rotor just barely touches the heat shield, it is very common to have noise change when turning left to right. Check that first. If the rotor is within 1-3mm of touching the rotor at rest, then it's possible it could be the culprit as it may make full contact when you turn the wheel.

If you decide to purchase a wheel bearing, make sure to buy OEM or a reputable OEM bearing company. I have no idea what bearing comes in our cars, but if it's a Koyo bearing for example, then at the very least buy a Koyo bearing from a 3rd party or best, buy OEM. Wheel bearings are very crucial parts so it's important not to buy a cheap chinese bearing.
Thank you for your response. My car makes noise driving 20mph+, not just when I turn the wheel, so could it still be a brake rotor issue? The noise just goes away when I turn my wheel to the left, but under all other circumstances during drive the noise is still there.
Old 01-12-18, 09:37 AM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Throwing my 2 cents in the pot. You might have a pebble stuck between the rotor and splash shield. I live in an area where cinder is used and this is a very common occurrence and your noise sounds exactly like what I experience. Might be worth checking and it's a very easy fix!
Old 01-12-18, 10:48 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dchen298
Thank you for your response. My car makes noise driving 20mph+, not just when I turn the wheel, so could it still be a brake rotor issue? The noise just goes away when I turn my wheel to the left, but under all other circumstances during drive the noise is still there.
it's extremely hard to diagnose noise issues over the internet, especially since you haven't described it. You should really get this checked out by a mechanic rather than guessing and throwing parts at it.
Old 02-05-18, 08:18 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if he figured it out ?
Old 02-06-18, 05:08 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Front wheel bearings on our cars are surprisingly easy to damage. OP likely has a damaged wheel bearing especially if he hit a curb at the speed I imagine when reading the description. Get it fixed soon or you will warp your rotor.