Gauge cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-20, 05:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Arafath974
Hey guys,
i wanted to know that isnit possible to Swap my Gs350 2015 AWD Instrument Cluster to a GSF 2016 Cluster?
Considering the F cars use gauge clusters that are distinctly different from the normal cars, I am not sure. You would probably get a better answer in the 4GS forums.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...3-present-237/
Old 08-26-20, 09:21 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Just did this swap after finding a unit for less than $200 shipped. Remove and replace only took 20 mins. I tried as much to get a unit as close to my car (2016 IS200t non-navi, no IPA/PCS/DRCC/BSM/RCTA) and even though the unit came from a vehicle with BSM/RCTA, it did not trigger any warning lights.

Regarding the mileage, I was expecting the true vehicle mileage to be available in Techstream with the assumption that the data was stored in the ECU separate from the cluster, but it turns out Techstream just pulls the number from the cluster. I dug around Techstream and was unable to find the mileage on my original cluster, so that's interesting... in any case, my "new" unit is 40k over my original so I'm planning on getting it re-programmed eventually.
Old 08-28-20, 07:21 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

How hard is it to physically swap the cluster out? Also, for base models switching to the fsport cluster, it sounds like the steering wheel can still change the cluster position like a true fsport after the swap even though nothing similar exists in the base?
Old 08-28-20, 09:49 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cliffhokie
How hard is it to physically swap the cluster out? Also, for base models switching to the fsport cluster, it sounds like the steering wheel can still change the cluster position like a true fsport after the swap even though nothing similar exists in the base?
It is physically not hard to remove the cluster. Pop-off 2 trim pieces, un-clip 3-5 cables, and remove 4 phillips screws. The most tedious part is getting the cluster out of the dash area once it is unscrewed since it is a bit tight. I referred to these instructions in this RC forum thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ster-swap.html

Yes, the cluster is able to slide to the right just like the actual F-sport. The button just sends the signal to the cluster, the cluster itself takes care of the slide control.
The following users liked this post:
cliffhokie (08-28-20)
Old 08-28-20, 05:54 PM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
It is physically not hard to remove the cluster. Pop-off 2 trim pieces, un-clip 3-5 cables, and remove 4 phillips screws. The most tedious part is getting the cluster out of the dash area once it is unscrewed since it is a bit tight. I referred to these instructions in this RC forum thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ster-swap.html

Yes, the cluster is able to slide to the right just like the actual F-sport. The button just sends the signal to the cluster, the cluster itself takes care of the slide control.
Thanks for the info. Where did you find the cluster for that price? Cheapest I found was$500 on eBay.
Old 08-28-20, 07:22 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cliffhokie
Thanks for the info. Where did you find the cluster for that price? Cheapest I found was$500 on eBay.
I was keeping an eye out on eBay for the longest time and found the lowest price to be $300, and that wasn’t even from a same motor IS.

Car-part.com was super helpful. Put in your model year, motor, and search for “Speedometer” under the Electrical parts. You can try searching “Gauges” or “Instrument Cluster”, but I had the best results using the speedo search. You’ll get a list of matches for the part across many different salvage yards. It’ll be up to you to work with the vendor to verify the part. Always ask for the originating VIN, input into the Lexus website, and make sure the specs matches your vehicle. It is best to match all specs, but again I found that the originating vehicle having BSM/RCTA and mine not worked fine for me still. This method is more work and more risky than eBay since you have less consumer protections.
Old 09-22-20, 06:51 AM
Sethman919
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bgeims
If you swap your base model gauge for an F-sport gauge, all functions will work IF both gauges are from the same model year. I did the swap awhile ago and re-programmed my mileage.

You cannot simply sell a vehicle that has a discrepancy between the mileage indicated on the dashboard and the actual vehicle mileage. You either have to re-program the mileage to match or deal with paperwork and possible headaches down the road when you want to sell the vehicle. If you do not re-program to match, or take the proper steps when selling the vehicle to disclose the actual mileage, that would be a federal offense.

Additionally, the mileage on the odometer is recorded every time you get your car serviced. Having the correct mileage will aid in easier record keeping if your service center publishes this information online/in a database. Think of CarFax and Lexus Online Service History, those types of databases.

I did it for the peace of mind and because my Lexus Service Rep said they would honor my vehicles warranty only if my new odometer reading matched my actual mileage.

Hey, just got an Fsport cluster and wanted wantedt with you a bit about the eeprom programming. I can't pm yet though.
Old 10-19-20, 12:55 PM
toxiclexis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering doing the swap, does anyone have any information on the sport and sport+ drive modes and if it works with the cluster since we don't have sport+?
Old 10-19-20, 03:46 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toxiclexis
I'm considering doing the swap, does anyone have any information on the sport and sport+ drive modes and if it works with the cluster since we don't have sport+?
I don’t have any issues with not having Sport+ mode and have not seen anyone else complain about it. I don’t think the cluster cares about it if the car ECU doesn’t send the signal
Old 10-20-20, 01:48 PM
toxiclexis
Driver School Candidate

I don’t have any issues with not having Sport+ mode and have not seen anyone else complain about it. I don’t think the cluster cares about it if the car ECU doesn’t send the signal
So I assume the tach won't go into the sport+ style?
Old 10-20-20, 05:55 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toxiclexis
So I assume the tach won't go into the sport+ style?
I don't believe it would be possible without doing some sort of mod to fake the signal
Old 10-27-20, 03:00 PM
Phantom3IS
Driver School Candidate

I was keeping an eye out on eBay for the longest time and found the lowest price to be $300, and that wasn’t even from a same motor IS.

Car-part.com was super helpful. Put in your model year, motor, and search for “Speedometer” under the Electrical parts. You can try searching “Gauges” or “Instrument Cluster”, but I had the best results using the speedo search. You’ll get a list of matches for the part across many different salvage yards. It’ll be up to you to work with the vendor to verify the part. Always ask for the originating VIN, input into the Lexus website, and make sure the specs matches your vehicle. It is best to match all specs, but again I found that the originating vehicle having BSM/RCTA and mine not worked fine for me still. This method is more work and more risky than eBay since you have less consumer protections.
I've been interested in this swap for a while but never did it because I had trouble finding a matching cluster to my car's mileage/specs. This method has been a great help, thank you! I've found a cluster close to my cars mileage that's decently close to my car's specs. Would you happen to know if navigation matters for the cluster to function properly? I have a 2016 IS200t base (non-navigation) and the cluster that I'm looking at would be coming from a 2016 IS200t F-sport with navigation. I tried searching for a cluster from a 2016 IS200t F-Sport without navigation but there were none to be found. Would it be a better idea to keep searching for a cluster from a non-navigation F-sport or am I all good to go on the cluster I've found?
Old 10-27-20, 03:21 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phantom3IS
I've been interested in this swap for a while but never did it because I had trouble finding a matching cluster to my car's mileage/specs. This method has been a great help, thank you! I've found a cluster close to my cars mileage that's decently close to my car's specs. Would you happen to know if navigation matters for the cluster to function properly? I have a 2016 IS200t base (non-navigation) and the cluster that I'm looking at would be coming from a 2016 IS200t F-sport with navigation. I tried searching for a cluster from a 2016 IS200t F-Sport without navigation but there were none to be found. Would it be a better idea to keep searching for a cluster from a non-navigation F-sport or am I all good to go on the cluster I've found?
I do not know for sure. I don't see any navigation-related warning messages in the user manual, so I wouldn't expect a warning message to be able to appear on the cluster. Connector-wise, there is a navigation specific plug but I don't see why the cluster wouldn't work as long as you had the other connectors plugged in.

My guess is that you won't have any issues, besides having a non-functional navigation tab on the cluster info screen. I believe some users have used a navigation cluster on a non-navigation vehicle, but I did not find any reports of issues.
The following users liked this post:
Phantom3IS (10-27-20)
Old 10-27-20, 03:24 PM
Sethman919
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not know for sure. I don't see any navigation-related warning messages in the user manual, so I wouldn't expect a warning message to be able to appear on the cluster. Connector-wise, there is a navigation specific plug but I don't see why the cluster wouldn't work as long as you had the other connectors plugged in.

My guess is that you won't have any issues, besides having a non-functional navigation tab on the cluster info screen. I believe some users have used a navigation cluster on a non-navigation vehicle, but I did not find any reports of issues.
The issues you will have are for any optional systems the Fsport car had. Its difficult to tell which are which. The warnings you might get are VGRS, LDA, DRS, and PCS. You will also have to correct the mileage.
Old 10-27-20, 03:46 PM
Phantom3IS
Driver School Candidate

I see, thanks for the quick reply! I'd like to source a non-navigation cluster, but they're hard to come by as I think most F-sport models without navigation had to be special order iirc. For your cluster were you lucky enough to source a matching non-navigation F-sport cluster or did you just go with a cluster from a car with navigation? (I saw that the cluster you sourced came from a vehicle with BSM/RCTA but didn't see a mention of navigation vs non-navigation for the new cluster)

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster swap