IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Generation IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 09:44 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350

Good advice on waiting for CarPlay. I didn't think of it that way, yeah Apple maps suck too. It might not be worth waiting for.
Yup. Apple map isn't very good and Google map isn't allowed on Apple Carplay.

Yeah. In my opinion, its not worth waiting till the 4th generation Lexus IS for Apple Carplay nor its worth even having. I only think Apple Carplay is a huge deal on "regular cars" that have awful infotainment systems. IE: A car owner with an Honda Accord w/o Navigation will likely make the most of the Apple Carplay. (Personal example - when I was in my Camaro SS rental, I only used the Apple Carplay for maps because it was a rental. I can honestly tell you that if my rental had a navigation - I wouldn't even use the Apple Carplay.) But, for luxury vehicles that already have a polished infotainment system and features, you'll find yourself not really using it.

In reality - Toyota only decided to add Apple Carplay onto their vehicles because their Toyota consumer base was complaining about how they need it. It also make sense for them to add it onto Toyota vehicles because the Corolla and Camry competes with the Civic and Accord, which already has Apple Carplay and Android Auto. <- Majority of these cars are sold without navigation and the infotainment system is definitely not as good as something luxury brands would offer. You'll find that Lexus owners would probably not use Apple Carplay.
Old 03-29-18, 10:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I will never understand the hooplah about CarPlay.

My sister and brother in law have it on their Civic and hate it. As my sister says, "Why do I have to pull out my phone and plug it in just to get my map?".
Old 03-29-18, 11:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,781 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

My sister and brother in law have it on their Civic and hate it. As my sister says, "Why do I have to pull out my phone and plug it in just to get my map?".
tbh, I just want a more responsive system for infotainment, with more intuitive menu layout. I am not opposed to Lexus adopting Car Play or Android Auto, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Customizable drive modes would be nice, too...
Old 03-29-18, 11:51 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. I never understood the hype around Apple Carplay or Android Auto either.

That's true. If someone wanted to use their phone map, they can just use a phone mount. However, I think people that own cars with lackluster infotainment system usually use the Apple Carplay/Android Auto to replace the original system - as in the Apple Carplay/Android Auto is their default. I can never see a luxury car owner with the loaded infotainment system using Apple Carplay/Android Auto over its default system.

Originally Posted by arentz07
tbh, I just want a more responsive system for infotainment, with more intuitive menu layout. I am not opposed to Lexus adopting Car Play or Android Auto, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Customizable drive modes would be nice, too...
Agreed. I don't care if Lexus adopts Apple Car play or Android, because it personally won't change anything - it'll just be a waste of space. I doubt any Lexus owner would actually use it considering the Lexus stand Infotainment system is better and more refined. On top of that, Lexus already offer free live traffic and weather on the Lexus system. Using the Apple Car play/Android Auto on a Lexus or any other luxury vehicle that is loaded is going backwards.

However, Toyota adopting Apple Carplay and Android Auto makes sense. It mostly to benefit the Toyota consumers who purchase the Corolla or Camry, where majority of the vehicles are bought without navigation and the infotainment system on those tier of cars are usually laggy and awful.
Old 03-29-18, 12:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Agreed. I never understood the hype around Apple Carplay or Android Auto either.

That's true. If someone wanted to use their phone map, they can just use a phone mount. However, I think people that own cars with lackluster infotainment system usually use the Apple Carplay/Android Auto to replace the original system - as in the Apple Carplay/Android Auto is their default. I can never see a luxury car owner with the loaded infotainment system using Apple Carplay/Android Auto over its default system.
To be clear, though, I'm not talking about the map on the phone. You have to have the phone physically plugged in to be able to access CarPlay, so you have no navigation map on your car's display screen unless you pull out your phone and plug it in. That's what my sister has an issue with.
Old 03-29-18, 12:44 PM
dmavilia
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apple Car Play is a must, plus a turbo 6 cylinder with mid 300's horsepower is a must.

Memory seats on an F Sport would be nice, too.
Old 03-29-18, 02:02 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

To be clear, though, I'm not talking about the map on the phone. You have to have the phone physically plugged in to be able to access CarPlay, so you have no navigation map on your car's display screen unless you pull out your phone and plug it in. That's what my sister has an issue with.
Ahh. Thanks for the clarification. Definitely agree though. Its annoyance to keep having to plug in the phone in order to use Apple Carplay.

Originally Posted by dmavilia
Apple Car Play is a must, plus a turbo 6 cylinder with mid 300's horsepower is a must.

Memory seats on an F Sport would be nice, too.
I'm curious. May I ask why you think Apple Carplay is a must? I just want to see what other people think because I personally think Apple Carplay is useless on luxury cars that have polished infotainment systems.

I disagree. Apple Carplay is not a must. While the next generation Lexus IS will definitely have Enform 2.0 with the trackpad and Apple Carplay, Apple Carplay is pretty much null on any Lexus product and won't be an important factor. Owners who have fully packaged luxury vehicles will probably never use Apple Carplay because there's no reason to. IE: A Lexus IS owner will never use Apple Carplay because with navigation (which has free live traffic/weather updates), you'll never have to. With Siri Voice Control (you use bluetooth to pair the car to your phone), you'll never have to plug in your iPhone and you can use Siri to access your phone contacts/music. The Lexus Infotainment system is miles ahead of Apple Carplay - it would not be unnecessary to use it. Similarity - another example: an Audi A4 owner with Virtual Cockpit and MMI would never touch Apple Carplay or Android Auto because its a huge step backwards compared to Audi's system.

I agree. I would want a detuned TTV6 Lexus IS as well - but unfortunately - I think Lexus will keep the 2GR-FKS on the Lexus IS350 until a few years has passed on the 4th generation. My guess is that the Lexus GS will most likely be the first get the detuned TTV6. Since the 2GR-FKS was trickled down from the GS, they will probably give the TTV6 to the GS first and then trickle it down to the Lexus IS350 later.

Lexus IS F Sport does have memory seats. There is memory seats, memory steering wheel and memory outside mirror settings. These options are added on via Comfort Package.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 03-29-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 02:35 PM
dmavilia
Driver School Candidate

Apple apps and Lexus’ built in navi with traffic obviously get their info from different sources. I find Lexus’ system to be inaccurate many times. I think many people would want the option to use car play.

also, the 2015 IS 350 F Sport did not offer memory seats or a comfort package. F Sport package superseded all other packages. They have special seats that did not allow for memory. I ordered and own this car currently. Definitely would have opted for that package if it was available.
Old 03-29-18, 02:52 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Apple apps and Lexus’ built in navi with traffic obviously get their info from different sources. I find Lexus’ system to be inaccurate many times. I think many people would want the option to use car play.

also, the 2015 IS 350 F Sport did not offer memory seats or a comfort package. F Sport package superseded all other packages. They have special seats that did not allow for memory. I ordered and own this car currently. Definitely would have opted for that package if it was available.
True - I thought about the ability to use Apple Apps as well but Apple App selection is limited at best. Majority of apps don't work on Apple Carplay. Majority of the apps are pretty much Phone, Music, Audio Book, Music streaming services, and Messaging. The Lexus' infotainment system can do phone, music and messaging (Siri Voice Control) for you already. That's why I think using Apple Carplay on Lexus' infotainment system is backwards when the Lexus system is already better. The only reason I think Lexus drivers might want to use Apple Carplay is if they are a heavy music streamer or audio book listener. Other that - every other function can be done by the car's standard infotainment system and that's why I think whole hype of carplay is pretty confusing when it comes to the luxury market.

I watch this vlogger on YouTube and he drives an Audi S3 w/ Virtual Cockpit. He talked about how he never uses Apple Carplay or Android Auto. His points were similar: he already has Virtual Cockpit and MMI - he didn't need the carplay stuff.

Lexus gets their live traffic and weather from HD Radio. While the Lexus navigation is no god-send of a navigation, it is miles ahead and better than Apple Maps.

Gotcha! I thought you own a refreshed Lexus IS because I believe the memory option came to be during refresh.
Old 04-02-18, 03:02 PM
dmavilia
Driver School Candidate

With a wife who is 6 inches shorter than me, memory seats would have been awesome. Should have waited for the refresh!

Also, my wife hates the tech in the Lexus. I think for many people who aren't into learning features and getting into the technology in these cars, Apple Car Play would be a good option for someone who isn't used to the car because the interface is pretty universal. It is my primary car, so I got what I wanted. But when I need my wife's SUV and we switch cars for the day, she needs more ease of use... and I need an easier way to get my seat back the way I like it.

Chicks, man....
Old 04-03-18, 06:55 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,781 Likes on 1,919 Posts

With a wife who is 6 inches shorter than me, memory seats would have been awesome. Should have waited for the refresh!

Also, my wife hates the tech in the Lexus. I think for many people who aren't into learning features and getting into the technology in these cars, Apple Car Play would be a good option for someone who isn't used to the car because the interface is pretty universal. It is my primary car, so I got what I wanted. But when I need my wife's SUV and we switch cars for the day, she needs more ease of use... and I need an easier way to get my seat back the way I like it.

Chicks, man....
Well, she isn't alone - I for one don't like the trackpad-like interface in other Lexus models. The updated, sharper screens in some of them look quite nice though.
Old 04-03-18, 11:20 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Well, she isn't alone - I for one don't like the trackpad-like interface in other Lexus models. The updated, sharper screens in some of them look quite nice though.
Speaking of the trackpad...one of my relatives was over this past weekend and had a rental from Lexus while car was being worked on...so I got about an hour to play with the trackpad on a 2018 NX and the screen was excellent but I hated the trackpad. It wasn't due to the size but the form. I was constantly over and under shooting where I wanted to be. It was so flusterating and I left saying I could never get use to that trackpad. I really hope the IS model never gets that trackpad. I found it terrible.
Old 04-03-18, 11:57 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
something tells me the next generation of the IS is going to be good, the LS is a benchmark for the engine and the 10 speed and i haven’t read or heard any complaints with power so far. this might make the next gen IS350/IS400 a much more compelling competitor in the luxury sports sedan class. the real issue is weight and they need to drop it back to the 2IS’s weight, which was a very fast car for its time

I would call the 2IS 350 quick, but not fast per say as its too fat and runs out of steam above 70.
On that note I weighed it once 4,000 lbs. Front 2,200, Rear 1,800 lbs. Its the 4.08:1 diff gear giving it good 0 - 60ft and 1/8th mile times.

With all the small displacement engines getting boost it seems their longevity may not balance well with current brand **reliability** requirements.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 04-03-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-03-18, 12:42 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Chicks, man....
Good point. There are many people that hate to learn all these new features and would rather have a simple universal infotainment system. But this begs the question - why would you buy a Luxury car that cost over 40K if you don't want any of these features and want something simple? That would be a waste of money. IE: The Audi Virtual Cockpit MMI system will take some time to learn. Why would anyone pay over 50Gs for an Audi A4 with Virtual Cockpit, think its too difficult to learn, and use a cheaper (non-luxurious) Apple Carplay? You'll literally cheapen the vehicle by doing that. At that point - you are better off buying a point A to B car with an infotainment system that is lackluster with no features then the Apple Carplay will be an important feature.

At the end of the day - majority of consumers in Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and etc... don't even use their Apple Carplay/Android Auto system because they are paying for the car's own infotainment system that controls majority of their features.

I think the trackpad frustration and wanting Apple Carplay is kind of two different subjects. Regardless if you have trackpad 1.0 or 2.0, you'll still need the trackpad to control Apple CarPlay. So if you hate the standard Lexus trackpad (which some people do, just like how some people hate MMI or iDrive etc...), Apple Carplay or Android Auto won't save you from using it.

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Speaking of the trackpad...one of my relatives was over this past weekend and had a rental from Lexus while car was being worked on...so I got about an hour to play with the trackpad on a 2018 NX and the screen was excellent but I hated the trackpad. It wasn't due to the size but the form. I was constantly over and under shooting where I wanted to be. It was so flusterating and I left saying I could never get use to that trackpad. I really hope the IS model never gets that trackpad. I found it terrible.
Its likely the Lexus trackpad will make it onto the next gen Lexus IS. This is evidence by the fact that the Lexus LS is using it. I think going forward - Lexus is pushing the trackpad. For me personally, I prefer the joystick over the trackpad.
Old 04-03-18, 01:35 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

What I find ironic is on my 2007 IS 350 the Nav was touch screen and I remember reading on all the forums how much people liked the touch screen. The more complaints was that you couldn't use it while driving. Then on the BMW forums back then, people commended idrive for being able to use it while driving but how they wished BMW would also allow you to touch the screen too. So jump to 2017/2018 and now BMW idrive allows the user to not only use the controller but also touch the screen (something I never thought BMW would incorporate) yet they did. So now it's like BMW is doing what Lexus did with touch screen and Lexus IS going to a track pad instead of touch screen. How crazy is that?

I'm a huge tech nerd and can easily adapt to new stuff but let me tell you I could not get use to the feedback of the Lexus trackpad in that NX. It had the most beautiful large screen and it worked perfectly with connecting my iPhone with lightening but to maneuver around the Nav interface pose a great challenge and I spent too much time trying to get to where I wanted to go it really got me flustered and it was all the trackpad.

In that hour I had with it I even paired my iPhone over blue tooth (before I got my lightening cable) and it paired perfectly, phone and music worked perfectly. I noticed though that pairing by Bluetooth wouldn't use the artwork I had instead used a generic grace note album artwork but when I used my lighting cable all my own cover art I imported showed up as normal.

The reason I sound so surprised/happy that it all worked was that I'm running an older iOS 9.3.5 on a 6s iPhone.

Last edited by Xanadu350; 04-03-18 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: New Generation IS