IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Generation IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18 | 10:42 AM
nykos5000
Driver School Candidate

I read I believe a Bloomberg article stating that the 4th gen IS will be shown in early 2020 as a 2021 MY. Supposedly the next gen GS will be canceled as the soon to be released ES has been caught being tested with E Classes and A6’s. AWD is on the table and supposedly the car will have two “distinct” personalities with a luxury and F Sport version.

IMO, I too wouldn’t consider an ES over a GS but if rumors are right then the next gen GS (if redesigned) would be a hatchback style coupe a la A7. The next gen IS will continue to prob carry over the turbo four and use a detuned version of the TT V6 from the LS. I think they should offer a V8 for the LS as an option... Seems like Lexus is all over the place with their cars and is focusing on SUVs since that’s their bread and butter.

Last edited by nykos5000; 04-07-18 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-07-18 | 03:02 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

I just want to see an ISF before this gen runs out, or even something like the Infiniti red sport would suffice.
Old 04-07-18 | 11:50 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nykos5000
I read I believe a Bloomberg article stating that the 4th gen IS will be shown in early 2020 as a 2021 MY. Supposedly the next gen GS will be canceled as the soon to be released ES has been caught being tested with E Classes and A6’s. AWD is on the table and supposedly the car will have two “distinct” personalities with a luxury and F Sport version.

IMO, I too wouldn’t consider an ES over a GS but if rumors are right then the next gen GS (if redesigned) would be a hatchback style coupe a la A7. The next gen IS will continue to prob carry over the turbo four and use a detuned version of the TT V6 from the LS. I think they should offer a V8 for the LS as an option... Seems like Lexus is all over the place with their cars and is focusing on SUVs since that’s their bread and butter.
While there is no confirmation on when the 4th Lexus IS is releasing, I do think the bloomberg article is within reason and its probably right. The Lexus IS runs on a 7 year cycle - this will make the 4th gen Lexus IS a MY2021 which will be released in 2020. Features to be expected: HUD, 360 Camera and Enform 2.0 with Apple Carplay are likely.

Agreed - the next gen Lexus IS will continue to have the turbo four. However, I don't think the detuned TTV6 will make its way onto the Lexus IS yet because its their baby sedan offering. If they were to offer a detuned TTV6 - it'll likely be on the Lexus GS (if redesigned) or a high-trim Lexus ES first. They'll make that for a few years - then it'll be on the Lexus IS. This is due to the fact that Lexus is slow-moving-conservative company.

Originally Posted by EXE46
I just want to see an ISF before this gen runs out, or even something like the Infiniti red sport would suffice.
I don't think they'll make a Lexus ISF for this gen. Chances are, if they do make one, it'll be next generation (4th). This is also another reason why I think Lexus won't offer the TTV6 on the Lexus IS yet. They could potentially use the TTV6 to make a IS400 to compete w/ the Q50 RS or make a IS-F with the TTV6 to compete with the M3.
Old 04-08-18 | 08:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
While there is no confirmation on when the 4th Lexus IS is releasing, I do think the bloomberg article is within reason and its probably right. The Lexus IS runs on a 7 year cycle - this will make the 4th gen Lexus IS a MY2021 which will be released in 2020. Features to be expected: HUD, 360 Camera and Enform 2.0 with Apple Carplay are likely.

Agreed - the next gen Lexus IS will continue to have the turbo four. However, I don't think the detuned TTV6 will make its way onto the Lexus IS yet because its their baby sedan offering. If they were to offer a detuned TTV6 - it'll likely be on the Lexus GS (if redesigned) or a high-trim Lexus ES first. They'll make that for a few years - then it'll be on the Lexus IS. This is due to the fact that Lexus is slow-moving-conservative company.I don't think they'll make a Lexus ISF for this gen. Chances are, if they do make one, it'll be next generation (4th). This is also another reason why I think Lexus won't offer the TTV6 on the Lexus IS yet. They could potentially use the TTV6 to make a IS400 to compete w/ the Q50 RS or make a IS-F with the TTV6 to compete with the M3.
My bet is that they have a detuned V6 turbo. Especially if the GS is canceled then the IS may be a tweener car. The hIgher trim IS has always been more powerful than the ES so the ES being FWD and more powerful doesn't make sense.

The reliability of the Germans is getting pretty good so if they don't bring more HP, I see a lot of enthusiasts leaving.
Old 04-08-18 | 06:30 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Even if they don't offer the 3.5-liter turbo, there's gotta be an up-level offering on the engine. Just having a 2.0-liter turbo four with different outputs for different trims would be lame, though we've seen that before (BMW's 320i versus 330i for example). I suspect there will be a smaller-displacement turbo V-6 sometime soon.
Old 04-08-18 | 11:17 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
My bet is that they have a detuned V6 turbo. Especially if the GS is canceled then the IS may be a tweener car. The hIgher trim IS has always been more powerful than the ES so the ES being FWD and more powerful doesn't make sense.

The reliability of the Germans is getting pretty good so if they don't bring more HP, I see a lot of enthusiasts leaving.
The rumor floating around is the ES might merge with the GS. IE: They'll have a Lexus ES with luxury package and sport package. If this rumors hold true, you can assume the Lexus ES sport package will come with AWD being the Lexus GS replacement. And it'll also might come with a power boost with the TTV6 to make sure the Lexus ES sells. I'm not saying the Lexus won't have the TTV6 - I'm saying it'll trickle down at a later time to make Lexus' other vehicles sell.

Originally Posted by arentz07
Even if they don't offer the 3.5-liter turbo, there's gotta be an up-level offering on the engine. Just having a 2.0-liter turbo four with different outputs for different trims would be lame, though we've seen that before (BMW's 320i versus 330i for example). I suspect there will be a smaller-displacement turbo V-6 sometime soon.
I think they will offer a detuned TTV6 on the Lexus IS - just at a later time. Especially with the ES/GS limbo going on - I think Lexus wants to use the TTV6 to make sure the new Lexus GS sells. Or, if they cancel the GS, to make sure the new Lexus ES sells since it merged with the GS. The best way to do it is with a new TTV6 in them. Because of that, its likely the Lexus IS might get the shorter end of the stick for the first few years. Just my assumption.
Old 04-09-18 | 09:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Note that the 2nd gen IS had an 8 year run (2006 - 2013).
Old 04-09-18 | 10:18 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Note that the 2nd gen IS had an 8 year run (2006 - 2013).
I know. The 2nd generation was a 8 year run and the 1st generation was a 7 year run. Its totally possible for them to do a 8 year cycle for the Lexus IS again. I was doing a conservative guess on Lexus doing a 7 year cycle for the IS.

Note: Its unlikely it'll be a 6 year cycle for the Lexus IS because that would make it a 2019 release and we have yet to see any spy shots. With a 2019 release for MY2020, we would have spy shots by now or at least a bit of information. Also - they are too busy working on the Lexus ES at this time.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 04-09-18 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-10-18 | 02:38 AM
evident
Racer

Agreed. I never understood the hype around Apple Carplay or Android Auto either.

That's true. If someone wanted to use their phone map, they can just use a phone mount. However, I think people that own cars with lackluster infotainment system usually use the Apple Carplay/Android Auto to replace the original system - as in the Apple Carplay/Android Auto is their default. I can never see a luxury car owner with the loaded infotainment system using Apple Carplay/Android Auto over its default system.

Agreed. I don't care if Lexus adopts Apple Car play or Android, because it personally won't change anything - it'll just be a waste of space. I doubt any Lexus owner would actually use it considering the Lexus stand Infotainment system is better and more refined. On top of that, Lexus already offer free live traffic and weather on the Lexus system. Using the Apple Car play/Android Auto on a Lexus or any other luxury vehicle that is loaded is going backwards.

However, Toyota adopting Apple Carplay and Android Auto makes sense. It mostly to benefit the Toyota consumers who purchase the Corolla or Camry, where majority of the vehicles are bought without navigation and the infotainment system on those tier of cars are usually laggy and awful.
your last paragraph describes my exact experience with the IS infotainment system.
Old 04-10-18 | 07:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars

I don't see why having the option of Android Auto or Carplay is bad. Besides, it means you can navigate using your phone, without the need for a factory nav system. That said, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

AutoGuide's recent comparo of the IS to the TLX is proof of this - if you read the comments, an awful lot of people complain that it seems like the TLX won the comparison because A) it's bigger and B) it has Android Auto and Apple Carplay. They didn't really talk about the Lexus at all, and the comments section has a lot of people saying "yeah Apple Carplay isn't the end all be all of car infotainment".

PS - I am now unsubscribed to that channel, since they are going to do blatantly sponsored reviews, lol.
Old 04-10-18 | 09:33 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evident
your last paragraph describes my exact experience with the IS infotainment system.
So you think the Lexus IS infotainment system is awful and laggy? That's fine. That's your opinion. I have a question though: how long have you had your Lexus IS, how long do you plan to keep it, and how often do you switch cars?

I ask these questions because these are factor questions into how people think about their infotainment systems. If someone is more likely to jump cars every three years, they'll never take the time to vest into their car. They'll be jumping from multiple infotainment system every 3 years. This will likely affect the way you feel about it because you keep switching it without getting used to it.

Also - the Lexus IS infotainment system, no matter how you feel about it, its definitely better than Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Especially when it already has Siri hands-free to do your text messages/make phone calls/etc... for you.

Originally Posted by arentz07
I don't see why having the option of Android Auto or Carplay is bad. Besides, it means you can navigate using your phone, without the need for a factory nav system. That said, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

AutoGuide's recent comparo of the IS to the TLX is proof of this - if you read the comments, an awful lot of people complain that it seems like the TLX won the comparison because A) it's bigger and B) it has Android Auto and Apple Carplay. They didn't really talk about the Lexus at all, and the comments section has a lot of people saying "yeah Apple Carplay isn't the end all be all of car infotainment".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhz9XhMYoMI

PS - I am now unsubscribed to that channel, since they are going to do blatantly sponsored reviews, lol.
I agree having Android Auto or CarPlay is not a bad thing but I think its redundant and a waste of space.

Navigation was one of the points I addressed. Take Apple Carplay for example: it only allows you to use limited Apps and Apple Maps only for Navi. Apple Maps is hands-down garbage. Its not better than any factory navigation. On top of that - Lexus already offers free weather and traffic through so you don't even Carplay/Android Auto feed you with live traffic. This goes back to my point - Carplay/Android Auto is a good feature and probably an important feature for awful infotainment systems that don't have navigation. That will give owners a chance to replace the original factory one and use their Carplay/Android Auto as standard. In my experience with Carplay/Android Auto, I only used it in my rented Camaro SS because it didn't have navigation.

The thing is though - quite a bit of people think Android Auto and Apple Car play is a must. (Which is quite strange to me, because I never thought Carplay/Android Auto to be anything big and I still don't think its a big deal.) Its definitely not a deal-breaker - especially in the luxury segment. I have yet to see a BMW or Audi owner replace their iDrive or MMI Virtual Cockpit to use Carplay or Android Auto solely. Besides - someone who blows 40-50K on a luxury vehicle to just use Carplay/Android Auto, instead of their default infotainment system because its hard to learn, is just wasting their money.
Old 04-10-18 | 10:13 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

I was watching some videos of how car play works in the BMW and it looks pretty easy to navigate back and forth. Basically there was a little tab on the screen toward the bottom left that when you touch it takes you from the BMW interface direct to the Apple Car play screen and when your done it's just 1 click or touch to take you out of Car Play back to BMW's interface. I'm not sure how Lexus will incorporate it but if it will be like that then I would like it because it makes it super easy to toggle back and forth. My issues would be with Lexus trackpad which I hated using in the NX.
Old 04-10-18 | 11:11 AM
dmavilia
Driver School Candidate

Bippu - while the technology in these cars is very important, especially at this price point, the way it drives is #1 for me (and I suspect for the majority of people commenting here). Driving experience including handling, acceleration, cornering, and fun is always paramount. Quality of craftsmanship, fit and finish, and nice materials is 2nd place for me. Now tech is 3rd place because of the little supercomputer I carry in my pocket everywhere (iphone).

Tech is nice but in the end, this is a car that's meant to be driven. If I wanted to **** around on a computer, I'd stay home.
Old 04-12-18 | 09:54 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Was at my Lexus dealer tonight...my sales guy is expecting MY2020 with a Sept 2019 release for the next gen IS.
Old 04-12-18 | 10:59 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Was at my Lexus dealer tonight...my sales guy is expecting MY2020 with a Sept 2019 release for the next gen IS.
Dealership sales people tend to know pretty much nothing.

Based on the 1st and 2nd generations - the Lexus IS runs a 7 year and 8 year cycle. Similarly - Lexus' competition: the C-Class, 3 Series, A4, and Q50 runs on a 7-8 year cycle. Best assumption is the Lexus IS will be on another 7 - 8 year cycle as well.
This will leave it to be MY2021 (2020 release the earliest); MY2022 (2021 release the latest).

Also - if the 4th gen Lexus IS was indeed a MY2020, then there should be spy spots by now. If not spy shots, then rumors/information at the very least.

Quick Reply: New Generation IS