IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Signature Lexus IS abnormal extreme inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 02:42 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marsmango
I was considering installing this, since others reported this fixes the inner tire wear issue. But I'm concerned about excessive NVH as some people reported it makes the ride quality much worse than stock
At first, it was a bit stiffer in the front. Which is a GOOD thing! I've felt that the silicone has broken in a bit, or maybe I'm just getting use to it.
Old 01-19-18, 03:43 PM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found an alignment helped and not using sport modes often (which sucks). Also rotate the tires (don't buy directional or this will not work).
Old 01-20-18, 04:59 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
i could not understand anything of what you wrote there, bud.

the problem i'm having is in the front.

this *particular* wear exists on no other brand new car. this is just an engineering mishap at Lexus. This suspension is basically Toyota's second attempt at a performance/luxury blended suspension...with the first being in the first-gen Lexus IS. bmw has been at this game since the late 70s when BMW deliberately started designing a suspension that moves around (compliance), but sporty (good roadholding) at the same time--while wearing nicely and minimal harshness. The engineering philosophy was dubbed "Elastokinemtics" over in Bavaria and has been the cornerstone of just about every modern car company's luxury/sport suspension since. Yes Lexus could up the durometer/rating of the front bushing as to limit dynamic toe changes but they'd introduce a ton of harshness and noise to the cabin. So they are learning here. The next IS will have a brand new front suspension design--watch.
Sorry, thought you were talking of rear tire wear - my bad.
Old 01-20-18, 05:44 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

What an alignment tech needs to do is when they align the vehicle, they should not be zeroing the toe but instead have a bit of toe in but still within spec (green zone in their screen) then this will compensate for movement when the suspension compresses deflection at that lower bushing everyone changes out.
Old 01-21-18, 01:01 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
What an alignment tech needs to do is when they align the vehicle, they should not be zeroing the toe but instead have a bit of toe in but still within spec (green zone in their screen) then this will compensate for movement when the suspension compresses deflection at that lower bushing everyone changes out.
In theory that should work, although that could also generate other sets problems such as outer tire wear and reduction in handling and slower turn-in's.
I, however, had this wear problem when the alignment showed excessive positive toe (toe in). The dynamic toe is causing beyond the reasonable negative toe (toe out), I would say greater than -2 to -3" degrees when factory recommended settings are at between 0.11"degrees to +0.11" degrees.
As I mentioned this to E46CT on the other threads, this is not an alignment issue nor an intentional dynamic toe (There is nothing to gain by using soft bushings other than comfort, you could actually feel the wheels moving independently from each other creating instability especially during braking). It simply and literally is wheel wiggling around during accelerating and braking due to very soft LCA bushings. And there really is no other solution than harder bushings.
Old 01-22-18, 08:05 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Spec for Lexus includes 0 toe, but doesn't necessarily demand it. I believe the spec is +/- 0.8 either direction. So at zero I'm smack in the middle. Since 99% of driving is done going straight without any load, this should help minimize wear.

Got my new front ties and I'm very happy. The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s are actually rebranded Bridgestine RE003s. So it's a very good tire by all research I've done. Like shockingly good. Beats out the Conti DWs. The thing I like about this tire compared to stock is it doesn't have that stupid stretched look the stock ties have. This has a consistent rim guard/sidewall that's just flush. I like that. meaty

Checked my alignment and it's strange the tire that wore the most was actually within spec. The right front was a tick out of spec, and one rear was a tick out of spec. The rears are wearing nicely with a hint of inner strip wear on one.

Either way I got all four wheels aligned, toe set to 0.

My front camber is 1.15 and .80 (negative)
Rear camber is 2.20 and 2.10 (negative)

lowered 1/2" on Tein H Tech.

Toe zeroed out.

The tires are very responsive, but not as much feel as the OEMs--primarily due to the OEMs being worn down.

$279 installed for both fronts.

Last edited by E46CT; 01-22-18 at 08:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
purushotam (03-11-20)
Old 01-24-18, 01:53 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Sitting at 26k miles.

My front summer tire set has been destroyed already (Conti DW 225/35R19 - Inner cords showing)
My front winter tire set is already showing heavy wear (Pirelli Sottozero 3 225/40R18 - Inner tire wear)

A bit ridiculous in my opinion.
Old 01-26-18, 08:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

at 26k that's normal. that's in fact really superior tire performance on a car like this-- how did you manage that?! lol

I know from BMW sports sedan territory I would get about 20-25k on a set of tires. So 26k is GLORIOUS. kudos/props to you.

My rears aren't looking too shabby... a hint of inner wear but i think i can push them to 20k.
Old 01-26-18, 11:23 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

26k is normal for 2 front sets of tires?!
Old 01-26-18, 02:31 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rL-gT
many are averaging anywhere from 10k to 25k depending on how you are driving.
i changed mine at 18k and the metal treads were barely visible. Rears still had good 10k left on them.

Old 01-26-18, 03:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rL-gT
Usually about 20-25k on summer tires (gotta pay to play) but on this particular car, the fronts seem to wear a bit fast. maybe 15-20k.
Old 01-26-18, 04:23 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkonquer

many are averaging anywhere from 10k to 25k depending on how you are driving.
i changed mine at 18k and the metal treads were barely visible. Rears still had good 10k left on them.

Oh wow. Good to know.

Thought I was going crazy but I guess it is what it is.

I'm upgrading to the figs bushing soon so that should help me out a bit.
Old 03-10-20, 04:00 PM
crnamedic
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Inner Tire Wear...Who Hasn't Experienced It??

I'm still new to Lexus and have been reading that the IS models typically experience inner wear on the front tires because of soft lower control arm bushings, thus creating dynamic toe. My recently acquired 2017 IS300 F-Sport has just over 15,000 miles and I was wondering if it's worth switching the LCA bushings over to RR racing or Figs to preserve the life of my brand new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s. Have you all experienced this type of wear or is it on a case to case basis? For the time being, I'm only averaging 15-20 miles a day and drive pretty conservatively compared to my younger years. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-20, 05:17 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

First time I am saying this.. but this has been asked so many times.

1) OEM tires are trash (Bridgestone Turanza I believe?) They wear out fast
2) Stiffer bushings help, I have the RCF / GSF ones.. the RR racing / FIGS are more stiff and require periodic lubrication or they squeak
3) I'm at 20-25K on my AS3s, still some life left.. they're rated at 50K tread wear but you have to rotate them to get them so expect half
Old 03-10-20, 06:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,952 Posts

There are lots of threads on this issue within the forums. You're doing the right thing coming here asking for insight, but I don't think it's helpful to add to the very long list of threads that already cover this topic.

One of the first threads I can remember talking about this was here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...re-wear-2.html

I am considering consolidating some of these threads to reduce clutter/confusion. edit: And, done.
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (03-11-20)

Quick Reply: Signature Lexus IS abnormal extreme inner tire wear