Rattle when closing the trunk.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 10:42 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Rattle when closing the trunk.

Hi guys,

I've been having a fairly loud rattling noise when closing my trunk. I had been unable to track it down until today. Initially, I thought it was my license plate, but it is secure. I tapped around and was able to trace it to this hole. Does anyone know the purpose of this space / hole? Something has come loose inside there, and it is rattling around whenever the trunk is closed. I am able to feel it and shift it around when poking my finger through there. It appears to be a metallic part. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm not sure how I can even get in there to check it out. It appears that the trim piece that surrounds the camera and plate lights may be removable, but I did not want to go ahead and try to pop anything out without checking in with you guys first.

This picture is not of my car (credit: CL member otakusan), but the area in question is circled in green. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it, because my trunk sounds worse than that of my old '83 Buick Regal when I close it!

Thank you guys
Old 01-26-18, 10:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

3IS has one of the worst sounding/fitting/engineered trunks i've ever experienced. baffling how Lexus got it so wrong. it shuts, fits, and sounds like poo even brand new. mine sounds like absolute junk when i close it.

contrary to my 2016 CT200h where the tailgate shut with authority and precision. same as my 2002 BMW trunk... like a bank vault. precise and fully engineered.

the 3IS trunk rattles and flops around and shudders, vibrates and wiggles when shut. sounds, looks, and feels like the trunk is some third party junk. embarrassing every time i shut it. brand new.
The following users liked this post:
CriMe (01-26-18)
Old 01-26-18, 11:43 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by CriMe
Hi guys,

I've been having a fairly loud rattling noise when closing my trunk. I had been unable to track it down until today. Initially, I thought it was my license plate, but it is secure. I tapped around and was able to trace it to this hole. Does anyone know the purpose of this space / hole? Something has come loose inside there, and it is rattling around whenever the trunk is closed. I am able to feel it and shift it around when poking my finger through there. It appears to be a metallic part. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm not sure how I can even get in there to check it out. It appears that the trim piece that surrounds the camera and plate lights may be removable, but I did not want to go ahead and try to pop anything out without checking in with you guys first.

This picture is not of my car (credit: CL member otakusan), but the area in question is circled in green. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it, because my trunk sounds worse than that of my old '83 Buick Regal when I close it!

Thank you guys
That's a keyhole to pop your trunk. Your keyfob has a mechanical key in it. It could be that the cylinder came loose or not properly secure. Take it back to the dealership and have them fix it.
The following users liked this post:
CriMe (01-26-18)
Old 01-26-18, 01:32 PM
CriMe
Rookie

MX73, thank you! I am due for service, so I will definitely alert them upon my next visit. Now that I've learned this, I am hoping that nobody was tampering with my car.

Thanks a ton.
Old 01-27-18, 02:29 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Follow up:

Had some free time today, so I decided to have a look. I removed the trunk lid liner and found that the manual lock cylinder is affixed to a thin sheet metal bracket. This bracket was somehow split on one side, thereby allowing the lock cylinder to rattle around when closing the trunk.

Thank you both for the replies.