IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Warranty Experts: Headlight assembly not covered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 04:18 PM
DNSVXV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Warranty Experts: Headlight assembly not covered?

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 2015 Lexus IS 250 from a local Volvo dealership months ago but last week my LED headlight went out so I took it to the Lexus dealership. To my surprise the Lexus rep informed me that the headlight assembly replacement would not be covered under the basic 48 month warranty?! I was under the impression otherwise?

Quote was $1,500 for parts + $380 for labor.

He did say that the vehicle was previously in a front-end accident... I wasn't aware of this and it has a clean Carfax... Is that why the headlight assembly replacement is 'not covered'? I just reached out to Lexus corporate but any other advice on how to proceed here?

Obviously I can purchase the assembly on the after market and have a local mechanic fix at a much lower cost but I'd prefer to have Lexus or original dealership do it for free

Am I out of luck here?

Thanks,
Old 01-28-18, 01:06 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My left LED headlight went out and they covered it under basic warranty. Not sure if the prior accident has any effect on why they are not covering you.
Old 01-29-18, 09:27 AM
DNSVXV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Is your headlight housing damaged in any way, or did the LED just go out?

There was a Technical Service Bulletin issued for LED Headlight Housing Fracture & Condensation Accumulation back in January of 2015 (L-SB-0002-15). The TSB references an opening / fracture near the uppermost mounting tab of the headlight - if this concern is not present, the dealer most likely will not cover it under the TSB / warranty.

Also, the dealer may be assessing the prior accident as the cause for the headlight damage, if it is damaged and that's what led to the light going out - or maybe it's just that the LED light went out?
Hi PatrixUSA,

Thanks for your reply--very helpful.

Actually, I did notice when I purchased the vehicle that there was significant condensation in the same driver's side headlight assembly (this seemed to be ultimately taken care of by the Volvo dealer before they handed me the keys)... So then, perhaps regardless of whether there was a prior fender bender, can I cite this Technical Service Bulletin as grounds that they should replace it anyway? (provided they observe the same opening/fracture indicative of this 2015 issue?). This may be my best bet--much thanks.

And to your other point, the headlight just all of a sudden flickered out so the true cause is likely not due to the original fender bender which must have occurred many months ago... The trouble would be proving that though:/

Thanks,
Old 01-29-18, 01:15 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had both my headlights replaced on my 2014 350 fsport under warranty a few months ago but my car never been in an accident. Keep in mind that it different from dealership to dealership and also depend on the service advisor and if they are willing to do the work.
Old 01-29-18, 01:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

$300 or so part on eBay and takes maybe an hour to install. don't pay no ridiculous money for an already antiquated outdated headlight. things are diamond dozen on the used market
Old 01-29-18, 01:40 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSVXV
Hi PatrixUSA,

Thanks for your reply--very helpful.

Actually, I did notice when I purchased the vehicle that there was significant condensation in the same driver's side headlight assembly (this seemed to be ultimately taken care of by the Volvo dealer before they handed me the keys)... So then, perhaps regardless of whether there was a prior fender bender, can I cite this Technical Service Bulletin as grounds that they should replace it anyway? (provided they observe the same opening/fracture indicative of this 2015 issue?). This may be my best bet--much thanks.

And to your other point, the headlight just all of a sudden flickered out so the true cause is likely not due to the original fender bender which must have occurred many months ago... The trouble would be proving that though:/

Thanks,
you could also try swapping controllers (it's a small control box) which is responsible for driving the LEDs--you can see if the problem transfers to the other side. If so, buy a new (used) set on eBay. if the problem doesn't switch sides, then you know your problem lies with the LED/board itself inside the projector, necessitating a replacement headlight. Probably corroded out the PCB.
Old 01-29-18, 01:49 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a very similar incident. I suggest you go to a different dealer. How do they know it was in an accident? They said that about my car and I know in fact it was not! I guess stealerships need to make money some how. Luckily Corporate came to my aide and I went to a different dealer.