IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My Engine Oil Smell Like Gas and is Very Thin. Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 02:16 PM
peppershak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Engine Oil Smell Like Gas and is Very Thin. Help Please!

Hey guys,

Went to Costco today to get a oil change on my 2015 IS250 (35k Kms) and the tech told me when he took off the drain plug oil just started splattering out (due to pressure). He was able to catch some oil and put it in a bottle for me. It literally looked like crude oil (black and thin).

The car did not go over the recommended KMs for oil change but was stored for about 7 months from feb to sept of 17.

We brought the oil to Lexus dealer and the guy said he has seen some IS250 do this, and that this is normal. But I have a weird feeling that it is not.

Has someone else experienced this?
Old 01-31-18, 04:51 PM
peppershak
Driver School Candidate

The mechanic had oil splattered all over his sleeve, and it took 6.5L to refill
Old 01-31-18, 04:53 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

get an oil analysis done by https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and the report will tell you if everything is normal or not.
Old 01-31-18, 05:28 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Was it really "runny", as in poured like water and not thick at all? could be that some sort of cleaner was thrown in?
Old 01-31-18, 06:39 PM
peppershak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CLUM
get an oil analysis done by https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and the report will tell you if everything is normal or not.

will do! Thanks!
Old 01-31-18, 06:40 PM
peppershak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Was it really "runny", as in poured like water and not thick at all? could be that some sort of cleaner was thrown in?
yeah it’s very thin, like water. I’ll give the dealership a call tomorrow to see if they add cleaners like that. Thanks !
Old 01-31-18, 06:56 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've never had oil splatter like you've described. Only pressure should be from its own weight.

You mentioned your oil smells like fuel. Assuming ab is Alberta, it's been cold on and off lately. Do you do a lot of idling? How far do you go on average? I ask because if you do a lot of short trips, and/or a lot of idling, it could be fuel contamination. During warm up phase, (first 30 seconds or so) engine practically dumps fuel to try and warm up the cats quickly. If for some reason the engine isn't allowed to get up to temp, and by that I mean oil temp not the coolant gauge on your dash, the fuel doesn't burn off or evaporate. Over time it can accumulate.

Is this bad? Yes. Fuel in your oil means that your oil can not do its job as effectively. Lubricating, cushion, etc. One of 2 choices. Change oil more often, or drive more. Personally I do both in Alberta climates.
​​​​​
Old 01-31-18, 08:06 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why I do you should do your own oil changes. Never know exactly what dealers are putting in your car
Old 01-31-18, 08:13 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

its hard to believe the oil would just "splatter" all over... It should just drain out unless the mechanic was slow at removing the oil plug, which even then I wouldn't expect it to spray all over.
Also it should never look black, the dealership who said this is normal sounds like they got some inexperienced people working there.

Get the oil analysis done as mentioned above. If not, try to go maybe 3-5k on the oil and then have a reputable shop change it again so you can see if its still turning black (and splattering out).

Just don't go to Costco to get the oil change again... or ever....
Old 01-31-18, 08:15 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
This is why I do you should do your own oil changes. Never know exactly what dealers are putting in your car
Or if you don't have the means of changing it at your place or don't want to possibly make a mess, just buy the oil and oil filter and have a shop change it for you. Doesn't cost more than 10-15 in labor for them to change it. This way at least you know they are putting in the oil you want.
Old 02-01-18, 07:55 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The 0W-20 that is in our cars is very thin and will flow quickly out and splatter A LOT especially when at operating temp. This is normal. The fuel smell however is not.

Depending upon how you drive the car you may be causing excess fuel runoff into the sump with driving habits. Short trips and not getting the car to full operating temp during those short trips contributes also lots of stop and go traffic as well. those situations can be considered "severe driving conditions" which would constitute a shorter oil change interval.