IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

SUGGESTIONS: Windshield repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 06:32 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default SUGGESTIONS: Windshield repair or replace?

Well, I knew this day will come..

Just the other day, a rock flew at me at 21921931mph, left a star shape cracked on the windshield; its no bigger than the diameter of a nickle.

Seeking advice, should I just have it repaired (filled) or get it replaced (thru insurance, I have a $100 deductible for glass loss, but does not state if it cover OEM or not [FARMERS INSURANCE])

LOCATED: lower passenger side.

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-31-18, 07:03 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That's definitely repairable. I've done a few on my own car.
Old 01-31-18, 08:00 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I think glass places won't repair cracks bigger than a quarter.
Old 01-31-18, 08:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Completely depends on the repair shop. Some will not repair that, others will repair most any damage even a crack 2 feet long.
Old 01-31-18, 08:27 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

got a small chip repaired on my old car, was never really noticeable unless i deliberately looked for it. if you do decide to repair it, do it asap before it gets worse.

i’ve also had the front windshield replaced on my work vehicle. the shop did an ugly job with the seals.

Old 01-31-18, 09:20 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Definitely repair. Lots of insurance policies will cover repair for free with no deductible for chips.

Replacement is an ugly and painful process. It's not usually done with the utmost care and can leave the body paint scratched, leading to rusty and leakage.
Old 01-31-18, 09:37 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by computerwi
Definitely repair. Lots of insurance policies will cover repair for free with no deductible for chips.

Replacement is an ugly and painful process. It's not usually done with the utmost care and can leave the body paint scratched, leading to rusty and leakage.
This is the main concern with replacing.. I'm afraid that it may ruin or weaken the structural integrity of the windshield.

For such a small area, and not in my line of visibility, I think I will just seek out pros for filling it.

If paying out of pocket, whats a reasonable price?*

*just wondering, I have a $0 deductible for repairs. But, will have to deal with the processing of filing claims I believe.
Old 01-31-18, 11:11 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
This is the main concern with replacing.. I'm afraid that it may ruin or weaken the structural integrity of the windshield.

For such a small area, and not in my line of visibility, I think I will just seek out pros for filling it.

If paying out of pocket, whats a reasonable price?*

*just wondering, I have a $0 deductible for repairs. But, will have to deal with the processing of filing claims I believe.
Just to be cautious, I'd make sure even if it's $0 deductible for repairs that it wont affect your monthly premium in any way for the future.
If it does, you're probably better off paying out of pocket and not even telling insurance about it.
Old 02-01-18, 09:47 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Here in Canada, the average repair cost is around 30 cdn. Or you can pick up one of those diy kits at your local parts store and do it yourself. I find that if you do it yourself, and with a little patience, you actually end up with a better result than if you get someone to do it.
​​​​​​
Old 02-01-18, 01:24 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I did a quick quote on Farmers Auto Claims website, they use Safelite as their default shop.

Paying out of pocket would cost me $120 for this chip lol.

If I file a claim, and go thru insurance, I will have a $0 deducible but will HAVE to go to Safelite.

Anyone had experience with Safelite? And curious if claiming would increase my premium.
Old 02-01-18, 01:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi

this.. mostly the rusty/damage part. if this happened to you during your usual route, it's possible it can happen again. i'd wait til you gather a few of those nasty suckers before spending money on a full replacement. as long as a glass guy thinks he can repair it.
Old 02-01-18, 02:47 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I found a local shop, amazin reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/hi-tech-aut...-city?q=repair

To repair my chip, it will be $45 out of pocket, they said. Worth? lol
Old 02-01-18, 03:13 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

yes, repair it already!
Old 02-01-18, 03:58 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
yes, repair it already!
Yup, thats the plan. Made an appointment for tomorrow morning, will post pictures of results.

*My crappy insurance does not cover OEM replacement. I will have the pay the difference, which can be upwards of few hundred for Lexus glass. smh.

I need a new insurance company.
Old 02-02-18, 12:27 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Here are the results!

The crack def looks better. However, you can still see two impact points. One, is the rock hitting. Two, the repair guy had to manually drill a tiny hole to let more resin into the glass.

Although you can still see the "nicks", I think its a pretty well done job to prevent it from cracking further. Better yet, the guy didn't charge me. =]

Quick Reply: SUGGESTIONS: Windshield repair or replace?