Lost Bluetooth Control and Media Information When Connecting Phone

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 01:42 PM
N3XTLEVEL
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Bluetooth Control and Media Information When Connecting Phone

2016 Lexus IS 350

I had zero issues connecting my phone (Nexus 6) to my car console. The controls worked to skip songs and the media information was displayed on the screen.

Recently, I updated the software on my phone (now Android 7.1.1) and the controls no longer work and the screen just shows the "Connected" image:

The phone part works fine and the music still plays through.

I updated the console firmware to the latest I found on the Lexus website.

Is anyone else having issues with their Android device? Can anyone suggest troubleshooting ideas? I've reset my phone and reconnected it. Still no luck.

Does it maybe have something to do with the supported profiles? I am not sure what profiles my phone requires.

Is there a way to add more profiles? I am doubtful the dealership will be any help or really care at all to help me.
Old 02-01-18, 07:31 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by N3XTLEVEL
2016 Lexus IS 350

I had zero issues connecting my phone (Nexus 6) to my car console. The controls worked to skip songs and the media information was displayed on the screen.

Recently, I updated the software on my phone (now Android 7.1.1) and the controls no longer work and the screen just shows the "Connected" image:

The phone part works fine and the music still plays through.

I updated the console firmware to the latest I found on the Lexus website.

Is anyone else having issues with their Android device? Can anyone suggest troubleshooting ideas? I've reset my phone and reconnected it. Still no luck.

Does it maybe have something to do with the supported profiles? I am not sure what profiles my phone requires.

Is there a way to add more profiles? I am doubtful the dealership will be any help or really care at all to help me.

You can try deleting the profile, reboot the infortaintment system (try holding down the power button for around 5 plus seconds) then re add in your profile. Remember the sequencing must be exact. Let me know how that goes...Good luck!
Old 02-02-18, 07:42 AM
N3XTLEVEL
9th Gear

Originally Posted by minhael
You can try deleting the profile, reboot the infortaintment system (try holding down the power button for around 5 plus seconds) then re add in your profile. Remember the sequencing must be exact. Let me know how that goes...Good luck!
I appreciate the suggestion. Tried this morning, but no luck. I think the bluetooth connection screen might be stuck. I have been looking up ways to do a harder reset of the infotainment system, and might have to disconnect from battery or pull fuses. I will also see if the issue remains when pairing other devices to confirm that it is a problem with the console and not my phone.

Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old 02-02-18, 01:39 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

It could be the phone itself. Sometimes, the carrier or the phone manufacture will disable transferring certain data to the infotainment screen. I've rooted my S3 a long time ago and notice that it displayed more the information on infotainment screen compared to the Samsung stock ROM.

Android is so fragmented that the phone manufacture will do whatever they want to the phone's OS including disabling certain protocols.
Old 02-02-18, 03:30 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by N3XTLEVEL
I appreciate the suggestion. Tried this morning, but no luck. I think the bluetooth connection screen might be stuck. I have been looking up ways to do a harder reset of the infotainment system, and might have to disconnect from battery or pull fuses. I will also see if the issue remains when pairing other devices to confirm that it is a problem with the console and not my phone.

Any other suggestions are welcome!
I am running Android 7.0 with no issue so maybe it's your 7.1 android version. Hope you figure it out soon.
Old 03-15-18, 03:02 AM
N3XTLEVEL
9th Gear

UPDATE

For anyone else running into this issue, it was indeed Android version 7.1.1. It was consistent with 2 devices, my Nexus 6 and Essential PH-1. It almost never showed the media content and prevented me from using the in-car controls.

After updating to 8.0 and 8.1, the issues are gone.
Old 03-15-18, 06:42 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Glad it got sorted out and thanks for the tip