IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ikon Diffuser Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18 | 07:14 PM
RU4Rhyl
Rookie

Default Ikon Diffuser Help

Hi Folks...so not to make this a lengthy explanation before my predicament.... Starting to fiddle around with my 3IS and got a nice christmas present from my fiance a TRD style front lip from Ikon and the Ikon IS-F Diffuser... The front lip went on no issues about the fitment but the diffuser is wrecking my brains a bit, mind you it is still winter here in Toronto so I cnt get under my car myself...so here is the deal has anyone had any experience with the Ikon diffuser and if so how did you guys install yours? I've attached the image of the diffuser and input would be much appreciated.

Note:

I have brought it to 2 workshops and both has said it is a bad fit and the only way is to "maybe" mold the diffuser to my bumper...I'm hoping not to go that far...
Attached Thumbnails Ikon Diffuser Help-ikon.jpg  
Old 02-03-18 | 07:20 PM
specONE
Racer

Can you show us where the poor fitment?
It's probably polyurethane.
It may help to leave it in the baking sun for a couple of hours let it correct its shape. Might be hard since you say it's cold where you are.
Maybe heatgun instead?
Old 02-03-18 | 07:29 PM
RU4Rhyl
Rookie

Originally Posted by specONE
Can you show us where the poor fitment?
It's probably polyurethane.
It may help to leave it in the baking sun for a couple of hours let it correct its shape. Might be hard since you say it's cold where you are.
Maybe heatgun instead?
I will quote the tech who looked at the car earlier "the poor fitment is everywhere" ... I will use the biggest one our bumper sorta curves towards the bottom where the bumper meets the diffuser and that is an issue because the ikon diffuser will overlap a bit into the bumper. yes the diffuser is made of very thick polyurethane and it isnt exactly what I would call flexible...

I guess what I am trying to get too here is what is a good way to install this diffuser that did not come with any tabs whatsoever apart from molding them together is there tabs in our bumper from the bottom that I can just screw on?
Old 02-03-18 | 11:29 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Idk if you tried it but you have to remove the oem diffuser first before installing an aftermarket one
Old 02-04-18 | 02:47 AM
spraytask
Rookie

The diffuser from Ikon has terrible fitment. I live in cali and personally went to their warehouse. I asked to see the part and line it up against my rear bumper, right away I saw that the diffuser was pretty bad. I told them that it just didn't go and couldn't see how I could install this on my car. Their suggestion was to use 3M double sided tape on the diffuser, then slowly back up my rear bumper against a wall and let it sit there while the sun softens it up and molds on to the bumper. I didn't get it because it just looked bad in my opinion but I guess maybe it's something you can try?
The following users liked this post:
RU4Rhyl (02-04-18)
Old 02-04-18 | 12:48 PM
RU4Rhyl
Rookie

Originally Posted by spraytask
The diffuser from Ikon has terrible fitment. I live in cali and personally went to their warehouse. I asked to see the part and line it up against my rear bumper, right away I saw that the diffuser was pretty bad. I told them that it just didn't go and couldn't see how I could install this on my car. Their suggestion was to use 3M double sided tape on the diffuser, then slowly back up my rear bumper against a wall and let it sit there while the sun softens it up and molds on to the bumper. I didn't get it because it just looked bad in my opinion but I guess maybe it's something you can try?
it sounds like the only way to make this work is full rear bumper removal and actually molding the 2 pieces together...question now is do I want to do that...
Old 02-08-18 | 01:05 PM
kawaii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
Idk if you tried it but you have to remove the oem diffuser first before installing an aftermarket one
Not 100% true. Only some requires removal of OEM diffuser. The one OP bought goes right on top of it.

I have the same one but not from Ikon specifically. FItment isnt that great, has some weird bends and curves but the shop I went to installed it in around 30 mins or less.
Old 02-08-18 | 07:57 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by RU4Rhyl
it sounds like the only way to make this work is full rear bumper removal and actually molding the 2 pieces together...question now is do I want to do that...
Im in TOronto too, just bought aftermarket rear diffuser for my Gen3 IS before Winter , every shop of my friend told me to return it because the fitment is bad and won't fit perfect ! doesn't matter how ive explained to them "even 600$ carbon Diff still has bad fitment, nothing will fit perfect for aftermarket, we have to do a little Mod, even OEM Diff didn't look perfect on my car, i see Gap and improper line up, like GM Vehicles lol.

OK to do a better install i mean try the best...(but not perfect) your rear Bumper has to be removed, take off the OEM Diff, don't put on top it will look ugly
You need to make some custom holes, im on my laptop don't have pictures here, otherwise ill show you.
Before i thought we dont need to remove bumper but i can't reach the 2 holes for the cliff in Parking Lot and Toronto weather is so damn cold, if you can reach that when car on hoist its better otherwise remove bumper.
Toronto Mechanic shops all wants $$$$ unlike the USA guys, they willing to do anything for you.
Old 02-10-18 | 01:22 PM
RU4Rhyl
Rookie

Originally Posted by kawaii
Not 100% true. Only some requires removal of OEM diffuser. The one OP bought goes right on top of it.

I have the same one but not from Ikon specifically. FItment isnt that great, has some weird bends and curves but the shop I went to installed it in around 30 mins or less.
I think some models may go on top of the OEM diffuser but the one from Ikon is a full replacement(also confirmed by the guys at Ikon), the material is too thick to be an overlay...I will have to do a full mold as I really hate uneven gaps on my car so I'll just have to invest a bit more and get it properly molded in...
Old 02-10-18 | 01:23 PM
RU4Rhyl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Solara350
Im in TOronto too, just bought aftermarket rear diffuser for my Gen3 IS before Winter , every shop of my friend told me to return it because the fitment is bad and won't fit perfect ! doesn't matter how ive explained to them "even 600$ carbon Diff still has bad fitment, nothing will fit perfect for aftermarket, we have to do a little Mod, even OEM Diff didn't look perfect on my car, i see Gap and improper line up, like GM Vehicles lol.

OK to do a better install i mean try the best...(but not perfect) your rear Bumper has to be removed, take off the OEM Diff, don't put on top it will look ugly
You need to make some custom holes, im on my laptop don't have pictures here, otherwise ill show you.
Before i thought we dont need to remove bumper but i can't reach the 2 holes for the cliff in Parking Lot and Toronto weather is so damn cold, if you can reach that when car on hoist its better otherwise remove bumper.
Toronto Mechanic shops all wants $$$$ unlike the USA guys, they willing to do anything for you.
which diffuser did you get and do you have pics?
Old 02-12-18 | 10:51 AM
kawaii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RU4Rhyl
I think some models may go on top of the OEM diffuser but the one from Ikon is a full replacement(also confirmed by the guys at Ikon), the material is too thick to be an overlay...I will have to do a full mold as I really hate uneven gaps on my car so I'll just have to invest a bit more and get it properly molded in...
Ikon Motorsports for 14-16 IS? If so, it's suppose to go over the OEM. All Walker-style diffusers are the same- shipped from China then "branded" by different US companies. I asked them again on eBay and they told me it goes over, not replace. I live right down the street from them but might be a little awkz for me to drive over and ask when I have one on already lol.
Old 02-12-18 | 05:16 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Ikon Motorsports for 14-16 IS? If so, it's suppose to go over the OEM. All Walker-style diffusers are the same- shipped from China then "branded" by different US companies. I asked them again on eBay and they told me it goes over, not replace. I live right down the street from them but might be a little awkz for me to drive over and ask when I have one on already lol.

Based on my understanding...Only the Stillen diffuser for the 2014-2016 IS is a layover the existing bumper. The rest are pure replacement.
Old 02-14-18 | 06:55 AM
spraytask
Rookie

That's correct, when I went to Ikon's warehouse they told me that the walker style diffuser goes over the stock one, it does not replace it. Told me to use a **** load of 3m tape, screws and maybe a heat gun to make it hug the bumper/diffuser. Ended up going with seibon and looks way better.

Good luck with the install!