IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Deck Removal To Access Stock Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 08:13 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know your right that was and is a big concern for me as well. The NX had that advantage of an open hatch.
It looks like there’s a lot more work than I had planned to disassemble the car to get to the connector.
I might have to wait until some warmer weather to tackle this as it’s pretty cold here in NY.

I want to to thank everyone for taking the time to contribute information on my thread and as soon as I get it done I will update.

Thanks guys
Old 02-05-18, 08:46 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I've been through several sub setups with my car. When I just bought it, I listened to a ported JL 10w6v3 HO WEDGE enclosure. The store that I bought it from demo'd it for me in an Rx350. I was sitting in the RX and was surprised at the output. I bought it and installed it in my IS w/ a matching amp. it sounded good, but nothing like the RX - a lot of the bass was swallowed up in the trunk lol. I don't like pounding, booming bass, but I do appreciate a clean, full sound and it left something to be desired.

I figure that even if you try the sub on the factory amp, and find that it doesn't sound as good as the setup in the NX, you can always add a small amp later on. Adding an amp is a pretty painless process for our cars. So it's definitely worth a shot. Let us know what you decide to do once it warms up a little.

Another option may be to tap into the harness at the factory amp. This way, you won't have to disassemble the rear deck. The harness may be cramped, so it may be a little tough to squeeze in the wire taps. But where there's a will, there's a way lol

Last edited by CriMe; 02-05-18 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 03:04 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Since we are on the topic, is there a like for like drop-in sub replacement without adding an amp, that will somehow sound better than existing stock one? Obiously, a car audio noob here...
Old 02-06-18, 06:26 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Since we are on the topic, is there a like for like drop-in sub replacement without adding an amp, that will somehow sound better than existing stock one? Obiously, a car audio noob here...
Member r2digital dropped in an Image Dynamics ID8v4 powered by a dedicated amp. It looked great - very clean install and he retained all of his trunk space. He said that it sounded better than the stock, but he ended up wanting more and replaced it with a sealed box. Perfecting the sound with those IB installs can be tough. I installed a shallow mount JL in my infiniti. Sounded good to me, but my rear deck rattled like no other, and this was after applying copious amounts of sound deadening material. Also, in addition to sealing off your trunk, you have to make sure that you've got a good seal between the cabin and the trunk or you may lose some sound quality.

You can check out the thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-upgrade.html
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (02-06-18)
Old 09-12-21, 03:41 PM
Is200tieu
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
Here you go, courtesy of OEM Audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Ni...ature=youtu.be
do you know how to do the same for the Lexus RC? I blew my stock sub lol. It rattles like crazy now