IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

20k service for IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 02:34 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by eman27
yah i decided to hold off on the brake pads. no freaken way im dropping $555... i called my uncle and he said to just buy the parts and he will have one of his buddies install it for me.

the $242 was for the scheduled maintence check up plus oil change, air filter, tire rotation stuff etc etc.

just wondering, do you guys do everything yourself? when do you guys actually go to the dealer for maintenance?
Just do what you can yourself. Many people on these forums can provide you with good information and help you figure out solutions. Not sure if you saw the post on changing the cabin air filter which I posted the other day here, but that's simple stuff which you can do at home.

Oil changes, air filters, things like that are where dealerships will charge you a grip and make their money. Many indy shops can do this for you like half the cost of a dealership as well. Just keep your records of what you've done and at what mileage in case if you ever want to sell the car.
Old 02-09-18, 03:04 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Like I posted here, I just check the maintenance schedule to see what the car's due for at whatever mileage I'm at, then have the dealer perform specifically whatever I can't do (or don't want to do ;-) - some of the easier stuff I do myself, but for the services that require lifting the car or specialized tools, I'll have the dealer do it, I just know before hand and request that specifically be done, never just a "certain mileage service". I recommend never going in and asking for a "20k mile service" - or any certain mileage service - I always go in with specific requests for what I want done - but again, that's me, for some folks the "this mileage service" is what works for them.
Out of curiosity, any reason why you go to dealership vs. independent shops?
Old 02-09-18, 03:45 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
To each their own, but for me it comes down to recourse mostly, and quality of service regarding knowing that qualified and experienced Lexus techs are working on the car (gives me peace of mind, as I have a trusted relationship with my dealer), as well as, but to a lesser extent, dealership perks. Recourse meaning I know Lexus will always treat me well if something goes wrong with the service (something breaks, they damage something, etc.), as well as the convenience of knowing they can perform any work needed on the car (aside from collision damage), as they are the OEM representative with access to OEM parts. Plus, I prefer for a Lexus dealer to work on the car for warranty's sake and resale value when it comes time to sell. But that's just me
Makes sense, but end of the day that all comes with a premium cost. I haven't had to service my vehicle outside of the free services yet, only have 11k miles on it but when I do I may cross reference a dealership quote with a Lexus specializing independent shop we have nearby.
Old 02-09-18, 05:40 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I did my 20k service last Saturday at local Lexus dealer for a grand total of $175.00
Old 02-09-18, 05:42 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

$65 at Toyota dealership to have the exact thing done. This is with full synthetic.
Buy your own cabin filter for $10 bucks. Install it in 3 minutes. That is what I did for my 20k.
Old 02-09-18, 05:52 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
I did my 20k service last Saturday at local Lexus dealer for a grand total of $175.00
wonder if price has anything to do with location of dealer? where you located?
Old 02-09-18, 06:11 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

South Florida, JM Lexus. It's the dealer, there are some here that add a whole bunch of frills just so they can increase the price. JM goes by the manual.
Old 02-18-18, 07:35 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope no one takes offense, but you might have your man card pulled for not being able to accomplish the 20-30k service in your garage in about an hour.

I mean, jack up front of car, put a couple of jack stands under it and change oil.
4 clips and a fastener to change air filter.
Pop open glove box and R/R cabin filter.
(Brake fluid change - definitely optional at only 30k).
Drop it and clean up.

You are excused if you have physical limitations or live in an apartment with no garage or some such situation.

If you can use a search box on a browser and watch a youtube video, you are golden.

I'm not dropping any transmissions either but I'm astounded that people actually willingly pay a dealer to do this stuff.

YMMV.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 02-18-18 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 06:53 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,770 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumbergh
I hope no one takes offense, but you might have your man card pulled for not being able to accomplish the 20-30k service in your garage in about an hour.

I mean, jack up front of car, put a couple of jack stands under it and change oil.
Drop it and clean up.

You are excused if you have physical limitations or live in an apartment with no garage or some such situation.

If you can use a search box on a browser and watch a youtube video, you are golden.

I'm not dropping any transmissions either but I'm astounded that people actually willingly pay a dealer to do this stuff.

YMMV.
Or you have a full time job and don't want to spend the time to learn how to do it, so already paid for the service plan, which is only $20 a month or so, so might as well use it? Guess my man card is revoked. Also, women drive these cars, so man card means squat, really.
Old 02-20-18, 01:16 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

YMMV.
No offense, but I didn't get to a station in life where I can pay cash for a luxury car to throw my mandals on hairy toes, bubba jack it up in my front lawn for my neighbors to see me changin the oil in my wife beater and plaid shorts that show off a plumbers crack.
I'll take it to the dealer and get a starbucks while some high school drop out does it for me, thank you. Then I'll earn my man card the proper way by doing my hot girlfriend for hours cause I never broke a sweat.
Old 02-20-18, 04:42 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Drop it and clean up.

YMMV.
I am huge DIY'er, so i agree with you wholeheartedly. Plus i do it myself just to make sure it's done properly (and done at all tbh). I've heard of way too many horror stories of dealerships not tightening drain bolts enough, not changing oil filters at all to save time and cost, etc. Sure they will *hopefully* take responsibility of covering the replacement of a new engine but who wants to go through that hassle?

HOWEVER at the same time, I realize there are people who don't even know "righty tighty, lefty loosey" and then get confused when the bolt is facing down vs up. So then, working on their own car might be a dangerous affair.

In the end it just comes down to this: If you don't want to DIY, then you have to pay to play. Pay whatever the shop wants to charge...

Quick Reply: 20k service for IS