Toyota owner needs your help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 03:41 AM
4RunnerFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota owner needs your help!

Hello all!

I signed up on this forum to gather input from you guys regarding 3rd gen Lexus IS models. Few notes to add before I go on here - I am not purchasing this vehicle for myself. I drive a 2007 Toyota 4Runner Sport as my daily. I come from T4R.org in peace seeking help from you all. I have tried doing research on these models and couldn't really get reliable results...some reports indicates a negative rating for "reliability" but others are slightly more positive, etc. I figured I'd get better info. from forums such as this one.

I am compiling a list of vehicles for my father to review. He is looking into getting a daily for himself and asked me to expedite the process by making a list of available vehicles matching his specs. for purchase. I'm not going to go into detail regarding the list here but I'd like to gather some input from you guys who currently own a 3rd gen 350 series! My father will start test-driving vehicles next week.

I am currently reviewing 2014/2015 Lexus IS 350 models.
  1. Like Toyota 4Runners, there are major maintenance work that will need to be done at one point.
    1. What major maintenance do I need to worry about in regard to this model - and on average when do they have to be replaced? (i.e. 4Runner requires timing belt to be replaced every 90k - recommended to replace water pump at the same time)
  2. Are there any known major issues connected to said year(s) that need be verified in-person prior to purchase of said vehicle?
  3. I have read issues about the on-board nav. system...is it truly mouse-like movement where it might be difficult to use while driving at low speeds? My father is nowhere tech savvy at all but I'd like for him to be able to use on-board nav. with ease without getting frustrated.
  4. How's the performance of paint on these vehicles? Given it's only 2018 but I'm not sure of Lexus's track record when it comes to paint long-term for earlier models, too. Toyota had issues with paint for early 4th gen 4Runners but they corrected their mistakes.
  5. Would this vehicle be ideal for lifetime use (with proper maintenance, that is...) or is it best to trade in every couple of years?
    1. In our family, we do not generally care for "new cars" every few years. My father has purchased a '91 Corolla and drove it until family got bigger so he needed to trade in for a bigger vehicle. He ended up going with a '95 4Runner and gifted the '95 4Runner to my brother upon high school graduation in '04. He bought an used benz right after and eventually signed an international assignment contract with his employer in '08 where he sold the benz and moved overseas. He is now back in the states and is looking for a new baby to keep.
  6. Why did you guys choose a 3rd gen IS 3 series model? For current owners, do you regret making the purchase still?
It's about 6:20am here and I can't really think of anything else to ask right now so hopefully you guys have some information that may be useful to me when answering my questions!

Bonus pic tax of my 4Runner (35% windshield, 4% front/rear) - satoshi grille - rigid light bars on lower grille, hood scoop, rigid dually flood pods on rear bumper
Attached Thumbnails Toyota owner needs your help!-tybee.jpg  

Last edited by 4RunnerFan; 02-12-18 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 07:43 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

buy 2017+ 2014-2016 has Navigation reboot problem that i'm having right now, firmware update wont fix
Old 02-13-18, 01:27 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

1. Same maintenance as any other toyota/lexus vehicles. These cars are very reliable so nothing to worry about until you hit the 50k/100k mark.
2. 2014 seems to have the most issues as a first year model. Most kinks are worked out in 2015 model.
3. The mouse takes a bit getting used to. Entering an address for NAV takes 6 months so I never do it. Voice recognition only understand jibberish. The Enfotainment system is the least favorite aspect of this car, for me.
4. Paint is thin. Rocks chips everywhere after 2 years of driving.
5. Up to the driver and needs. It's a small compact sport-ish car. Not good for hauling around kids or things. But it is very reliable and requires low maintenance for lifetime use.
6. No regrets. It's a great car, especially if you're coming from the Civic/corolla class.
Old 02-13-18, 02:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
buy 2017+ 2014-2016 has Navigation reboot problem that i'm having right now, firmware update wont fix
What? I knew the 2014s had issues with that, but does it apply to all the pre-refresh IS years?

Regarding the paint, try to get paint protection film. I totally regret not getting it - first car I have bought new that didn't have it, and I have some rock chips as well after a year.

As far as the car goes, I think I made a good choice. I look forward to driving it even to the grocery store.
Old 02-13-18, 03:30 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
What? I knew the 2014s had issues with that, but does it apply to all the pre-refresh IS years?

Regarding the paint, try to get paint protection film. I totally regret not getting it - first car I have bought new that didn't have it, and I have some rock chips as well after a year.

As far as the car goes, I think I made a good choice. I look forward to driving it even to the grocery store.
mostly 14-15 and some 16 too bro, for the 14 if its not Battery drains its Navigation reboot, overall its the best model of all.