IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Owners With Expiring Warranty - Did you buy extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 07:47 AM
Chedeng88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3IS Owners With Expiring Warranty - Did you buy extended warranty?

The factory warranty on my 2014 IS350 AWD is expiring next week. It only has 33K miles but the 4 years will be up.
In that span, the following were replaced under warranty:

1. Climate control panel
2. Network Gateway ECU
3. Both headlights (condensation TSB)
4. Battery

I'm debating if it would be worth it to get an extended warranty (4 years, 75K miles) for around $2K. From the list above, a $2K warranty would have been worth it.
Are there any other known expensive 3IS issues that hasn't been addressed in mine?

3IS owner with expiring factory warranties, did you purchases an extended warranty?
Old 02-12-18, 07:59 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I purchased an extended warranty for my '14 IS350 RWD. I purchased it because of things behind the dash. I had my nav unit replaced pretty early on. I haven't had any issues since then, but peace of mind goes a long way.
The warranty is transferrable and/or if I trade it in before the warranty expires I can get back a prorated amount.

If you plan on keeping the car a while and the price is in your budget, why not?
Old 02-12-18, 08:49 AM
Chedeng88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I purchased an extended warranty for my '14 IS350 RWD. I purchased it because of things behind the dash. I had my nav unit replaced pretty early on. I haven't had any issues since then, but peace of mind goes a long way.
The warranty is transferrable and/or if I trade it in before the warranty expires I can get back a prorated amount.

If you plan on keeping the car a while and the price is in your budget, why not?
Thanks for the reply. How long of a warranty did you get and how much?
When you say transferable, is it only when trading in for another Lexus vehicle?
Old 02-12-18, 09:46 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

I’m pretty sure it’s transferable to a private party. If/when I trade it in I’d just get back whatever prorated amount I’m due. This is what I did on an Acura I had a few years ago that I traded. I got the most expensive coverage - Platinum I think - and paid $2k or so (give or take). 7 yr / 75,000 miles. I had about 41,000 miles on the odo when it kicked in at the end of Nov.
Old 02-12-18, 10:13 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have the money, why not for a piece of mind? Just shop for the right price. I didn’t have the money so I did not purchase it. Pretty worried but it IS a Lexus. I had a few things replaced but hopefully nothing major in the future. Just have to keep a savings for repairs and etc
Old 02-12-18, 10:50 AM
Chedeng88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
If you have the money, why not for a piece of mind? Just shop for the right price. I didn’t have the money so I did not purchase it. Pretty worried but it IS a Lexus. I had a few things replaced but hopefully nothing major in the future. Just have to keep a savings for repairs and etc
I came from a Mercedes AMG and switched to Lexus hoping for better reliability and cheaper maintenance cost. While the engine and transmission has proven to be bulletproof, it's the electronics and things behind the dash that I'm not too confident about (based on what has failed and has been replaced so far). It also doesn't help that doodlebug mentioned that his nav had to be replaced early on. If that happens on mine, that alone would more than pay for the extended warranty itself. I guess I'll bit the bullet.
Old 02-12-18, 11:09 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chedeng88
I came from a Mercedes AMG and switched to Lexus hoping for better reliability and cheaper maintenance cost. While the engine and transmission has proven to be bulletproof, it's the electronics and things behind the dash that I'm not too confident about (based on what has failed and has been replaced so far). It also doesn't help that doodlebug mentioned that his nav had to be replaced early on. If that happens on mine, that alone would more than pay for the extended warranty itself. I guess I'll bit the bullet.
When I got the invoice from the dealership after the unit replacement, I looked up the part number to see the price. It was like $5000 or something crazy. Not to mention what labor would've cost.
Old 02-13-18, 05:25 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the Warranty. Just one item needing replacement will cover the cost of the insurance. My first Lexus had an Airbag and Infotainment problem during the warranty period.

My second Lexus the XM and sunroof problems fixed on the extended warranty. I'm on my 3rd right now and I have the CPO warranty.
Old 02-14-18, 04:52 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Give this guy a call. He has the best prices I’ve had quoted to me when I had my nx.

Attached Thumbnails 3IS Owners With Expiring Warranty - Did you buy extended warranty?-5b7fef91-d3f8-469a-a990-138164a47883.jpeg  
Old 02-15-18, 07:18 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I buy extended warranty when my L/certified expires?
Old 02-15-18, 09:59 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can only buy these factory extended warranty’s while in your original bumper to bumper warranty
4 years , 50,000 miles.

Thats from the original in-service date.
Old 02-26-18, 02:36 PM
HopRock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Something for readers to keep in mind... it is my understanding that Lexus has stopped dealers from selling Lexus Extra Care extended warranty plans to out-of-state buyers. But if you are shopping plans, might as well ask the question just to make sure.
I asked this specific question today and was told that Toyota stopped allowing out-of-state purchases, but Lexus still allows it. I have successfully purchased Toyota VSAs from this dealer in the past and have confidence that he knows what he's talking about.
Old 02-26-18, 03:17 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by HopRock
I asked this specific question today and was told that Toyota stopped allowing out-of-state purchases, but Lexus still allows it. I have successfully purchased Toyota VSAs from this dealer in the past and have confidence that he knows what he's talking about.
he's wrong.
Old 02-27-18, 06:29 AM
HopRock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
he's wrong.
Are you saying he's wrong about Toyota, or wrong about his being able to sell Lexus VSAs to out-of-state buyers? He seems very eager to sell me one-not sure why he would be if it wasn't permitted.
Old 02-28-18, 11:08 AM
HopRock
Driver School Candidate

Thought I'd mention that my local dealer was willing to match the price I was quoted from out-of-state. I know that doesn't answer much, but it was interesting that he would match a price from a dealer that he knows is out-of-state.

If anyone wants the dealer's name, send me a PM.

My $.02

HR

Last edited by HopRock; 03-02-18 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 3IS Owners With Expiring Warranty - Did you buy extended warranty?