IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

windshield wipers not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19 | 05:32 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Usually when the wipers don't stop (Park) in the proper position, but stop in a random position on the windshield, it's the fault of the Wiper Motor.
The motor receives a signal to stop wiping, but the motor is what controls the final Park position once it receives the signal to stop operation.
If the vehicle is experiencing a bunch of issues with the wipers that includes not parking at the proper position, then I would replace the motor.
While the relays or switch can cause some of those issues, the only part that will cause the wipers to not park in the proper position is the motor.
The fact the wipers will stop (anywhere) tells me that the switch and relays are working properly, at least at that moment.
​Mine were having an intermittent issue. It'd behave as it should with the one wipe, int, etc. After driving through the rain I had it at max speed, afterwards when it stopped raining I flicked up as normal to stop. It just stopped dead in it's tracks. I did a soft push down and it went back to max. Luckily it started raining again so I wasn't too concerned. Strangely enough as it stopped raining again it behaved normally again.

Then it repeated itself every so often. If it rains again and symptoms persist I'll know for my case it wasn't the relays
Old 09-29-19 | 01:40 PM
s80heb
Rookie

Originally Posted by itsx
​Mine were having an intermittent issue. It'd behave as it should with the one wipe, int, etc. After driving through the rain I had it at max speed, afterwards when it stopped raining I flicked up as normal to stop. It just stopped dead in it's tracks. I did a soft push down and it went back to max. Luckily it started raining again so I wasn't too concerned. Strangely enough as it stopped raining again it behaved normally again.

Then it repeated itself every so often. If it rains again and symptoms persist I'll know for my case it wasn't the relays
Did you sort it, im going to buy relays from lexus tomorrow.
Old 09-29-19 | 01:44 PM
s80heb
Rookie

Originally Posted by huskies

Has anyone fixed this issue. I have already replaced the relay. The wipers get stuck all the time in the intermittent mode. Thanks
Did you change both relays? Did it fix the problem
Old 09-29-19 | 03:12 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by s80heb
Did you sort it, im going to buy relays from lexus tomorrow.
i replaced my relays and my problems went away. I bought them from rockauto for way cheaper than what the dealer wanted. check post 14 for part numbers
Old 09-30-19 | 12:48 AM
s80heb
Rookie

i replaced my relays and my problems went away. I bought them from rockauto for way cheaper than what the dealer wanted. check post 14 for part numbers
Lexus price £177 for 2 relays, i need them for work but they said it will be here Wednesday, cant find a number for rockauto its all online and i think parts from the US
Old 09-30-19 | 01:37 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Lexus price £177 for 2 relays, i need them for work but they said it will be here Wednesday, cant find a number for rockauto its all online and i think parts from the US
Try searching just the part numbers through your favorite online retailers. Amazon, Ebay etc
Denso 567-0002
90987-04004
156700-0860

Maybe these ones? I assumed you were in the uk
Amazon Amazon
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90987-040...kAAOSwutNdcl99
Old 09-30-19 | 01:41 PM
s80heb
Rookie

Try searching just the part numbers through your favorite online retailers. Amazon, Ebay etc
Denso 567-0002
90987-04004
156700-0860

Maybe these ones? I assumed you were in the uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fincos-9098...dp/B07SQYC7Z4/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90987-040...kAAOSwutNdcl99
I did find used ones, but i want to use new ones plus alot of them are not UK sellers, i need the parts asap as i use the car for work and we have heavy rain.
Lexus said it'll be here on Wednesday. Il keep you updated
Old 10-02-19 | 06:15 AM
s80heb
Rookie

Just changeded both relays and its still the same.
Old 10-02-19 | 06:22 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Just changeded both relays and its still the same.
What is your specific issue? Several have chimed in with a variety of slightly different issues, so not necessary there is one fix for all.
For instance, wipers that don't park when turned off, but rather stop wherever when the switch was turned off, are usually remedied by replacing the motor.
Old 10-02-19 | 06:56 AM
s80heb
Rookie

What is your specific issue? Several have chimed in with a variety of slightly different issues, so not necessary there is one fix for all.
For instance, wipers that don't park when turned off, but rather stop wherever when the switch was turned off, are usually remedied by replacing the motor.
Auto works fine but sometimes just stops on a random place, if i press auto 2 it will start again.

If in auto and i push down wipers stop randomly unless i time it correctly to stop when its down

If in auto and i turn auto off it WILL park properly

If i turn off the car and its on auto it will again stop on a random position not park its self properly.

Not auto:-

If i press up i get one single swip.

If i light press down it will continuously wipe, i can cancel this by pressing up, if i hard push down wipers stop randomly.

Pulling foward, i get water and stops and parks properly.

Main issue is with hard push down, i get nothing to start the wippers, and which ever setting am in if i press it all the way down the wippers stop randomly
The following users liked this post:
Danno999 (03-06-20)
Old 10-02-19 | 03:57 PM
s80heb
Rookie

Am told the motor is fine as it does park its self in auto, iv been told the is another relay in the switch/stalk and its best if i replace the whole stalk. It seems possible but am guessing this is going to cost another £100 or so.

I managed to take the cover of the back of steering wheel, managed to take of both the connectors, anyone no how to pull the stalk out?
I dont want to break anything cant find a video
Old 10-02-19 | 04:23 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Am told the (1)motor is fine as it does park its self in auto, iv been told the is (2)another relay in the switch/stalk and its best if i replace the whole stalk. It seems possible but am guessing this is going to cost another £100 or so.

I managed to take the cover of the back of steering wheel, managed to take of both the connectors, anyone no (3)how to pull the stalk out?
I dont want to break anything cant find a video
I bold'ed 3 sections from your message:

1. The Park function can work intermittently until it fails completely...that fact that it parks in Auto is just coincidental.
2. There is no other relays in the stalk switch. It's just a series of switches in the stalk switch (Auto, different wiper speeds, and washer fluid spray)
3. The wiper stalk can only be removed by removing the steering wheel

This is the inside of the wiper stalk switch...no relay

Photo from when I replaced my light control switch for one with the fog light switch...it would be the same process if replacing the wiper stalk
Old 10-02-19 | 04:27 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Here's what the inside of the wiper motor looks like...the yellow circle on the right i drew around the mechanism that controls the Park function.

As you can see, it's just not a motor
Old 10-02-19 | 04:31 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Auto works fine but sometimes just stops on a random place, if i press auto 2 it will start again.

If in auto and i push down wipers stop randomly unless i time it correctly to stop when its down

If in auto and i turn auto off it WILL park properly

If i turn off the car and its on auto it will again stop on a random position not park its self properly.

Not auto:-

If i press up i get one single swip.

If i light press down it will continuously wipe, i can cancel this by pressing up, if i hard push down wipers stop randomly.

Pulling foward, i get water and stops and parks properly.

Main issue is with hard push down, i get nothing to start the wippers, and which ever setting am in if i press it all the way down the wippers stop randomly
There are several scenarios in bold where the wipers don't park in Auto and non-Auto mode...this is a clear indication the motor has an issue. Whether it's the motor itself or the circuit connected to the motor, I can't tell from here.
But based on everything mentioned so far, it appears to be the motor itself.
Old 10-02-19 | 04:37 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the Problems Symptoms Table from the repair manual...basically it tells you the problem you have on the left and the areas to check on the right.
Based on your issue...the first item is the wiper motor...the second item is the stalk..the third is the harness. They are listed from "Mostly Likely" to "Least likely".

Quick Reply: windshield wipers not working properly