IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

windshield wipers not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 04:38 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I think what I'm trying to say is...it's the Wiper Motor...LOL!
Old 10-02-19, 11:38 PM
s80heb
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I think what I'm trying to say is...it's the Wiper Motor...LOL!
Wow
You're been helpful. Il take this on board and let you know how i get on.
So can't be the wiper ecu?
Old 10-03-19, 04:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s80heb
Wow
You're been helpful. Il take this on board and let you know how i get on.
So can't be the wiper ecu?
There's no Wiper ECU...the switch is basically the control unit for the system based on how you set it.
You set the switch, the motor does the rest. Since you have Auto wipers, the input from the Rain sensor is taken into account.

The key here is that when the switch is shut off and sends that signal to the motor, it's up to the motor to Park itself in the right spot.
Once the switch has stopped sending a signal to the motor, the rest is up to the motor.
Old 10-03-19, 05:27 AM
s80heb
Rookie

There's no Wiper ECU...the switch is basically the control unit for the system based on how you set it.
You set the switch, the motor does the rest. Since you have Auto wipers, the input from the Rain sensor is taken into account.

The key here is that when the switch is shut off and sends that signal to the motor, it's up to the motor to Park itself in the right spot.
Once the switch has stopped sending a signal to the motor, the rest is up to the motor.
Auto electrician will see it on the 15th, they said its not likely to be wiper ecu. Said pretty much what you said and will find out when he tests everything, he did say its a high high chance its the harnes/clock spring.

But when i opened the cover it looked like the harnes from the wiper stalk gos under the clock spring.
Old 10-03-19, 05:56 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Auto electrician will see it on the 15th, they said its not likely to be wiper ecu. Said pretty much what you said and will find out when he tests everything, he did say its a high high chance its the harnes/clock spring.

But when i opened the cover it looked like the harnes from the wiper stalk gos under the clock spring.
I think you need a new mechanic...cause some of the stuff you are being told is starting to scare me.

First they thought it was the relay in the Wiper stalk...which there is no relay.
Then they thought it was the Wiper ECU...which doesn't exist.
Now they think it's the harness/clock spring...um, the light control switch and wiper control switch DO NOT go through the clock spring...ONLY the controls on the actual steering wheel go through the clock spring (i.e. Horn, Airbag, audio controls, etc.).
The wiper and light control switches are behind the clock spring and connect to the vehicle harness independent to the clock spring.

I hate to see them charge you labor time to diagnose it and either make a wild guess again, or finally come to the conclusion it's the motor...when all along it was always the motor.
Unless the vehicle has been in an accident, or someone has been messing with the harness, or an animal has damaged the harness, then I can't see it being the harness.
Old 10-03-19, 06:17 AM
s80heb
Rookie

I think you need a new mechanic...cause some of the stuff you are being told is starting to scare me.

First they thought it was the relay in the Wiper stalk...which there is no relay.
Now they think it's the harness/clock spring...um, the light control switch and wiper control switch DO NOT go through the clock spring...ONLY the controls on the actual steering wheel go through the clock spring (i.e. Horn, Airbag, audio controls, etc.).
The wiper and light control switches are behind the clock spring and connect to the vehicle harness independent to the clock spring.

I hate to see them charge you labor time to diagnose it and either make a wild guess again, or finally come to the conclusion it's the motor...when all along it was always the motor.
Unless the vehicle has been in an accident, or someone has been messing with the harness, or an animal has damaged the harness, then I can't see it being the harness.
Ok mate, there is another mechanic but he's not available till the 15th aswell, will keep this page updated
Old 10-15-19, 01:59 PM
s80heb
Rookie

It was checked today, mechanic tested the motor and all is fine, he said to order a stalk
Old 10-15-19, 02:35 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

It was checked today, mechanic tested the motor and all is fine, he said to order a stalk
Do you know the cost of the stalk and motor where you are?

I'm not doubting the mechanic, cause really he had the car to check in person and i didn't, but, there is one universal fact that is undeniably true, the wiper motor controls the parking of the blades when you turn the stalk switch off.
Throughout the thread you mentioned that there are times when you turn off the wipers and they stop wherever they are on the windshield...there is absolutely no doubt that is a wiper motor issue.
Unless those statements about it stopping wherever are not accurate, then the stalk will not resolve anything.
This does not preclude the stalk from having it's own issues, but to have a motor and stalk both go at relatively the same time is highly improbable.

Thankfully it's not terribly difficult to change either part, so after you change the stalk and it still has an issue, the motor is next in line...really it's the only thing left that can be wrong.

Let us know how it turns out...I don't think we've had an IS with either a wiper motor or stalk failure yet.
Old 10-22-19, 01:24 AM
s80heb
Rookie

Do you know the cost of the stalk and motor where you are?

I'm not doubting the mechanic, cause really he had the car to check in person and i didn't, but, there is one universal fact that is undeniably true, the wiper motor controls the parking of the blades when you turn the stalk switch off.
Throughout the thread you mentioned that there are times when you turn off the wipers and they stop wherever they are on the windshield...there is absolutely no doubt that is a wiper motor issue.
Unless those statements about it stopping wherever are not accurate, then the stalk will not resolve anything.
This does not preclude the stalk from having it's own issues, but to have a motor and stalk both go at relatively the same time is highly improbable.

Thankfully it's not terribly difficult to change either part, so after you change the stalk and it still has an issue, the motor is next in line...really it's the only thing left that can be wrong.

Let us know how it turns out...I don't think we've had an IS with either a wiper motor or stalk failure yet.
My is300h is a uk version with auto wiper function,
Can anybody find out what the wiper motor part is?
Found a lhd one with part number 85110-53070 i know all the linkage is no good to me but can i use that motor with part number 85110-53070?
Old 10-22-19, 06:54 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

My is300h is a uk version with auto wiper function,
Can anybody find out what the wiper motor part is?
Found a lhd one with part number 85110-53070 i know all the linkage is no good to me but can i use that motor with part number 85110-53070?
With some Google searching it looks like that is the correct part number for the motor.
Unfortunately here is North America we don't have RHD or the IS300h, so all our part diagrams are useless for your vehicle as there's no way to know if the part is correct or not.
I'm sure some parts are the same, but we don't know for sure which.