IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rusting issues for those in the North

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 06:08 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rusting issues for those in the North

So I got my '14 IS350 AWD last June and this is my first winter with it and love it! But after washing it I noticed rust coming through by the bottom rear door on both sides. Dealer touched this up when I purchased the car but now from all the salt it's starting to show up again and it's really bugging me seeing this. Do any of you guys in Canada or northern states have this issue? If so how do I go about fixing it for good? It's only 4 years old and 81kms and I keep it mint and clean and this still happens!

Old 02-17-18, 09:05 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

North fella here ! its rock chip, maybe big one hits it thus made a big damage and someone unprofessionally touched up since 2011+ Lexus paint is cheap , Canadian Lexus gets this kind of rust often, i got 3-4 rust spots by stone chip like yours, but i've done it myself when it comes to rust, you're not alone, clean out the dirt and rust before you touch up with the pen.
Old 02-18-18, 10:35 AM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Solara350
North fella here ! its rock chip, maybe big one hits it thus made a big damage and someone unprofessionally touched up since 2011+ Lexus paint is cheap , Canadian Lexus gets this kind of rust often, i got 3-4 rust spots by stone chip like yours, but i've done it myself when it comes to rust, you're not alone, clean out the dirt and rust before you touch up with the pen.
Thanks for your reply. Perhaps on the outside edge it could be from stones, but it's rusting on the inside too, where it would be protected from the door I would think.
I was thinking of escalating it at the dealer and wondering if anyone has and the outcome of that. I still find it odd that it would just rust like that, I've had a few other Lexus models before and some much older and never had this happen!
Old 02-18-18, 10:57 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you had the recall done on your vehicle?
Old 02-19-18, 04:24 AM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rL-gT
Have you had the recall done on your vehicle?
yes I took it in last fall to get the rear fender wells checked and they said it looks fine and gave me a piece of paper saying everything is ok. All it took them was like 15 mins to check it so I'm hoping they actually looked at it and didn't just brush me off...
Old 02-19-18, 08:59 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFLexy

yes I took it in last fall to get the rear fender wells checked and they said it looks fine and gave me a piece of paper saying everything is ok. All it took them was like 15 mins to check it so I'm hoping they actually looked at it and didn't just brush me off...

Redline just pointed out something there, i forgot about Fender Arch recall, ive done mine at Lexus Downtown, if you say rust from inside out then i suggest go redo your bodywork Lexy, that thing will spread really fast when it rains and then sun then next winter you'll hit salts again beside this , Lexus paint is so thin easily damage by mini stone chips, here some tips prevent rust !

1, Get rust protection and undercoat every 2 years, 120$ somewhere in Toronto area, "Kenshaw Lexus" do everything for i think 300-400$ but they have 4-5 years warranty
2, Get yourself a Can of WD-40 and soft clog from Canadian Tire, whenever you see Yellow like appears on your Paint, spray on it and RUB it OFF right away (Yes it works, ive done this for 10+ years on my 2001 Toyota SOlara, yes my Solara a NO RUST car, ive learnt this from a (Solaraguy.com) back in the days)
3, Get yourself a Soft Tower a bottle of (WAX CAR WASH SHAMPOO) a small bucket "Dolarama 1$ store has that bucket for 2$" (well if we can save $ save it, bucket from 1$ store no different to 10$ from walmart) all from China. You would want to do your own CAR WASH at least once a month with HAND WASH and WAXED SHampoo, the Blue one at Canadian Tire is awesome, you have to wipe it everywhere inside out LICK it KISS it whatsoever, Sing a Song and relax don't be hurried, I do HAND WASH once a week or every 2 weeks but at least in a month (Summer time), before and after Winter starts, i double check for mini rust and stone chip.
4, Winter time like this year, get your car into a Touch Less Machine wash from "Esso Station etc." buy the Luxury wash because Esso Luxury wax has that option called "TRI-COLOR" shampoo that protects your paint and rush, plus these touchless Machine has a very important thing "UNDER WASH" thats the reason i always come.

I hate Brush wash, they dont just damage your paint but also no under wash and damage your clear coat, Touch less wash is not perfectly clean but thats OK because Clean off the SALT and Protect from the RUST is what we need here in Canada, no car looks SHINE in the Winter anyways, like i said the "Tri-color shampoo at Esso Luxury wash is awesome. Whenever i have free time i spend on all my cars, exercise and relax. ( NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR CAR THAN YOURSELF ) myself very sensitive I LOOK INTO EVERY little DETAILS how the people Services and do their JOB

PS: some folks on here blamed on Location and Province where the Car came from, like Quebec and the North has a lot of snow and salt etc, Honestly Bro, Quebec or Ontario when the Car comes to me , you will never see RUSTS, Rust does not apply to me. Ontario actually used more SALTS than QUebec, Quebec has more SNOWS doesn't mean they use more SALTS. Cars from Quebec isn't cheap and its not about the MONEY Talk.

Last edited by Solara350; 02-19-18 at 09:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cochonet (11-24-21)
Old 02-19-18, 10:56 AM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Solara, THANKS very much for your indepth reply! I will try what you do and hope I have better luck with the rust issue. Since you brought up the part about using WD-40 and a soft cloth, I have noticed on my pain and even my rear bumper which is plastic, these small dots that appear to be rust spots, so if WD-40 is in fact safe on paint and clear coats I'll definitely tackle it , because like yourself, I'm very picky and take extra care and pride in my cars.
I greatly appreciate all your input!
Old 02-19-18, 01:21 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Solara, THANKS very much for your indepth reply! I will try what you do and hope I have better luck with the rust issue. Since you brought up the part about using WD-40 and a soft cloth, I have noticed on my pain and even my rear bumper which is plastic, these small dots that appear to be rust spots, so if WD-40 is in fact safe on paint and clear coats I'll definitely tackle it , because like yourself, I'm very picky and take extra care and pride in my cars.
I greatly appreciate all your input!
Glad i could helped Lexy, yep WD-40 is safe for any paint, i have some other tricks but start to learn the Basic 1st i havn't checked mine i'm sure its the same like yours and its a piece of cake to me, for Stone chip, when you do Touch Up, clean the dust inside the hole with the touch pen from Lexus OEM pen, and then wipe it with Baby Wiper sold at Walmart, let it dry for 3-5 mins before you apply the touch up pen. Sometimes we go outside do Car's stuffs and relax, everyone gets Stressed out for work !
Old 02-19-18, 04:22 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Solara350
Glad i could helped Lexy, yep WD-40 is safe for any paint, i have some other tricks but start to learn the Basic 1st i havn't checked mine i'm sure its the same like yours and its a piece of cake to me, for Stone chip, when you do Touch Up, clean the dust inside the hole with the touch pen from Lexus OEM pen, and then wipe it with Baby Wiper sold at Walmart, let it dry for 3-5 mins before you apply the touch up pen. Sometimes we go outside do Car's stuffs and relax, everyone gets Stressed out for work !
well just tried to wipe those small rust dots with wd-40 and a cloth and they came right off! In the spring I'll be going over the entire car.
So when going through those touchless car washes, I always thought it wasn't good for the paint from all that high pressure water required to clean off the dirt? That's why I always go to those self wash bays and use lower pressure, but this could be a myth since you say Solara that it works for you. I'll have to search and see which wash near me does the underbody as well. Thanks for the heads up again! Lol
Old 02-19-18, 05:48 PM
Solara350
Instructor

well just tried to wipe those small rust dots with wd-40 and a cloth and they came right off! In the spring I'll be going over the entire car.
So when going through those touchless car washes, I always thought it wasn't good for the paint from all that high pressure water required to clean off the dirt? That's why I always go to those self wash bays and use lower pressure, but this could be a myth since you say Solara that it works for you. I'll have to search and see which wash near me does the underbody as well. Thanks for the heads up again! Lol
Actually the water pressure they use at touchless is not strong enough to damage the paint, thats why we see dirt still there sometimes , the reason why people don't like touchless is because its not as clean, but i like said i go to Esso touchless for under wash and Tri-color shampoo those will protect the paint and under body rusts, summer i do self-wash with Bucket so i can lay down on the car kiss it hug it and lick it LOL its like You and your Girl in the bathtub hahahaha
Old 02-20-18, 09:42 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

paint damage is often a result of rock chips on those areas... no matter how strong the paint is, it can't handle impact from a rock... If the rust is only on surface, some light sanding and touch up paint should do the job, but if it's spreading already, you may be in for expensive body work. If you do managed to get it repaired, I suggest taking car to shop to have those high impact areas all wrapped in paint protection film. I live in Alberta where they sand the crap out of the roads every winter.. i had 80% of the car wrapped when i bought it new... 2 winters now, the film did have cuts in them from rocks, but the paint underneath survived the rock impacts... film can be replaced easily... paint work gets expensive
Old 02-20-18, 10:55 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Had the same problem. See how I had this resolved here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10010482
Old 02-21-18, 03:19 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by computerwi
Had the same problem. See how I had this resolved here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10010482
i saw many 14-15 IS has rust in that spot, why ? i will check mine tomorrow lol i bet mine has that rust too , thanks for your info bro, did you guys bring the car in for Fender arch recall ?
Old 02-21-18, 07:04 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I think i will try to go by my dealer and see what they say. If they offer to fix it properly i'll let them do it,and hope that they apply the 3M lower to the edge. I'm very mechanically inclined, but when it comes to body work stuff, i know i will mess it up somehow lol!

Solara, i did bring mine in for fender recall, but who knows what they checked, according to them its ok no issues found.
Old 02-26-18, 12:58 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

fyi. There's a TSB for this issue and it'll cover you under warranty.

Quick Reply: Rusting issues for those in the North