IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

OEM spoiler to OEM spoiler - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 10:30 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr
So glad you posted! That looks really good, can’t wait to get mine installed. Thanks again for the pics!
NP. One tip. Hard lesson learnt from my first failed install with the supplied 1/4 inch 3M tape. Use the taping technique that specONE uses in his install of the NA spoiler on YouTube. A VERY important step and probably more so for the int'l spoiler. The int'l spolier flexes slightly when you place it in its final position on the car (at least that was my experience) so you should expose the adhesive side of the 3M tape touching the body only as a FINAL step of your install when the spoiler is in that final stationary position. It'll make perfect sense when you watch specONE's video. Please reach out on any Q's. GL
Old 03-17-18, 10:38 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you happen have a link to his install video?
Old 03-18-18, 07:00 AM
TinoPing
Driver

Lexus 3IS OEM spoiler install IS350 IS250 IS200t:

Old 03-18-18, 07:07 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TinoPing

It looks awesome, thanks for sharing, ordering now.
Old 03-28-18, 08:40 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TinoPing

NP. One tip. Hard lesson learnt from my first failed install with the supplied 1/4 inch 3M tape. Use the taping technique that specONE uses in his install of the NA spoiler on YouTube. A VERY important step and probably more so for the int'l spoiler. The int'l spolier flexes slightly when you place it in its final position on the car (at least that was my experience) so you should expose the adhesive side of the 3M tape touching the body only as a FINAL step of your install when the spoiler is in that final stationary position. It'll make perfect sense when you watch specONE's video. Please reach out on any Q's. GL
Just received my spoiler, although mine didn’t come with any tape, I did go ahead and buy extra as suggested. Curious though, the weather here hasn’t been good enough to mount just yet, so I did test fit it. Did yours seem to have to be pressed into place quite a bit to get a good fit? Asking before I go and try to mount it and possibly cause damage. Test fit to my trunk just seemed as though I will have to really press into place to get it settled, too, I’m hoping that it isn’t too much pressure, don’t want the spoiler to go flying off on the highway one day. Lol
Old 03-28-18, 09:58 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Just received my spoiler, although mine didn’t come with any tape, I did go ahead and buy extra as suggested. Curious though, the weather here hasn’t been good enough to mount just yet, so I did test fit it. Did yours seem to have to be pressed into place quite a bit to get a good fit? Asking before I go and try to mount it and possibly cause damage. Test fit to my trunk just seemed as though I will have to really press into place to get it settled, too, I’m hoping that it isn’t too much pressure, don’t want the spoiler to go flying off on the highway one day. Lol
Congrats for finally receiving and hilarious @flying off on the highway. That picture did cross my mind, driving all cool in traffic one fine day and the spoiler flies off and hits the car behind me lol. I had the exact first impression as you, will it hold - but weeks later after installing its been solid under all conditions. Nothing to worry about. Here are some of my tips, sorry if some are a repeat from earlier:

1) Test fit: Yes, I did have to press somewhat and hold it in place just in order for the spoiler to sit completely flush with the trunk. When I placed the front/forward part of the spoiler flush to the upper trunk, I noticed the lower part i.e. The area right above the license plate) had about 1/2 inch gap or so. That's the area I needed to press in place.

2) Clean the underside of the spoiler well - the entire surface area where the 3M tape will go. Mine was slightly dusty, and that didn't help in getting the tape to stick well. When I removed the 3M tape from the first failed install, I noticed the surface got smoother and the tape stuck way better with the second install. I suggest running normal masking tape a few times over that surface as a way to clean/dust. Apply the 3M tape only once when the surface is finally ready. For the other side of the tape i.e. side that will stick to the trunk, use the method in the speONE video as mentioned in earlier post by creating tabs that you'll only pull out AFTER the spoiler is pressed and firmly held in that final flush-to-trunk position. This is a MUST do step for a good tape install given the spoiler flex issue. I'd say you definitely need two people for this step to do it well.

3) Use a heat gun on the trunk if you have one. I saw that used by other on tape-only installs on YouTube to warm up the metal. I think it makes for better tape adhesion.

4) Definitely go for 1/2 inch 3M double sided tape not the 1/4 inch. Also make sure it says for outdoor use/ all-weather. There was cheaper non-3M brand that didn't say that but I'm happy now I didn't go for that.

Goodluck and reach out on any Q's. Please post pics when done.
Old 03-29-18, 07:19 PM
trinhtd
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Flashkid
Anyone know any sellers that's sell this in white?
i got one in ultra white the one in the first pic
Old 04-15-18, 01:00 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Just curious, been working on getting this installed, but I just can’t keep the paint from flaking off it to get the tape to hold. Fingers crossed that I can get it to work.
Old 04-15-18, 01:29 PM
TinoPing
Driver

I presume you're talking about the underside of the spoiler, the section/strip where the 3M tape is supposed to go? Mine wasn't painted, it was just a grey color, presumably the primer. Maybe you can try sanding it a bit? Use the 3M tape only once when ready. The tape loses its adhesiveness right away if you try to reapply a second time. That tape is not cheap. Did you buy the 3/4 inch 3M? Good luck.
Old 04-15-18, 02:51 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Yeah that tape isn’t cheap at all, lol. That’s why I was concerned. I went with the 1/2” 3M tape, mine was painted all the way to the underside beyond the taping surface, a lot of primer over spray as well. I cleaned it once and the flaking began, so used the masking tape to try and get rid of the extra flaking of the paint and cleaned again. Then I applied the 3M, after it sat for a minute I noticed finishing up on the bottom edge it was coming up from the paint peeling up from the spoiler. This I wound up redoing it again and a lot of the paint came off. Well sufficed to say I got it to stick and got it mounted without fail, but I have now noticed some more coming off now along the surface of the spoiler. Almost seems as though the paint isn’t bonded to the surface of the spoiler, improper primer, or something is keeping it from sticking to the poly of the spoiler. I have a feeling it is going to have to be taken off in the end, I just don’t like how this is looking.
Old 04-15-18, 07:04 PM
TinoPing
Driver

I made a typo in my last post. I went with 1/2" too. That's the best.

I hear ya on the spoiler quality. If I recall I paid $99 for mine painted and delivered. So we can't expect the best quality. Even I specified ultra white and provided the paint code, I now notice it's nowhere near the same as the body. It's white not pearl, that's the only good thing I can say about. If we want OEM int'l spoiler presumably we'll have to get one from Japan or something.
Old 04-18-18, 06:12 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Well needless to say, less than a week and a good rain, the flaking continued. 😢 What do ya do, I’m chalking it up to a loss. The factory ones from Japan are far from my price range at $700+. Granted, they come with everything to do it right (or over do it), trunk bars, etc. Now I’m back to looking for one in 085 Eminent white other than the US spec spoiler.

Old 04-18-18, 08:50 PM
TinoPing
Driver

That doesn't look good. Sorry bro. I must've lucked out. Rains like crazy here in WA but no signs of paint cracking/coming off on mine. These aftermarket parts, mostly Taiwan sourced I believe, are a hit n miss. You could buy a primed but unpainted one and have it professionally painted? I saw those on eBay going for about $49.
Old 04-18-18, 10:10 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 249 Posts

Well needless to say, less than a week and a good rain, the flaking continued. 😢 What do ya do, I’m chalking it up to a loss. The factory ones from Japan are far from my price range at $700+. Granted, they come with everything to do it right (or over do it), trunk bars, etc. Now I’m back to looking for one in 085 Eminent white other than the US spec spoiler.
Sorry thats to hear.
I think you should just remove it and then have a body shop repaint it the right way.
They will prep/sand it and then repaint.
Old 04-19-18, 09:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Interesting. Not bad. But I still prefer the "dog bone" style. I think it looks more refined and more smoothly integrates into the car.

The international one kinda reminds me of a mustache. Sort of an afterthought. I think they were going for more subtle for the NA market? Either way it's factory so it's still pretty nice. but probably suits other markets better.

Quick Reply: OEM spoiler to OEM spoiler - need help