IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

SD Card NAV Wont work... NEED HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 04:20 PM
rsalazar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SD Card NAV Wont work... NEED HELP !!

Just got a 2014 IS250 FSport. It didnt come with the SD Card.. the carlot I work for, they have the same year car model. I took the SD card from that car to put it in mine and it doesnt work... It says " the card cannot be read and to contact the dealer." I dont understand why it works in the other car and it is not on mine. I took it to the dealership and they say I would need a brand new one... $300. I kinda dont trust them. I think there should be a cheaper way of doing it... Please I need help..
Old 02-22-18, 04:45 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rsalazar
Just got a 2014 IS250 FSport. It didnt come with the SD Card.. the carlot I work for, they have the same year car model. I took the SD card from that car to put it in mine and it doesnt work... It says " the card cannot be read and to contact the dealer." I dont understand why it works in the other car and it is not on mine. I took it to the dealership and they say I would need a brand new one... $300. I kinda dont trust them. I think there should be a cheaper way of doing it... Please I need help..
I believe your cars VIN is linked to the NAV update. I don't think you can swap SD cards from one car to the other, simply because if you could... you could just copy the data to a new SD card and use it.
Old 02-22-18, 05:06 PM
Aleksei
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rsalazar

First thing I would try to update multimedia software on your car.
Here is the link to it https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads
Then I would try again inserting that sd card from that same year car you had on your lot.

I don’t think that sd locked to a specific car, data on the card is locked to specific card to avoid a copy to a different sd.
Old 02-23-18, 08:40 AM
rsalazar
Driver School Candidate

Thank you.. I will check on that...
Old 02-23-18, 05:30 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

My understanding from Toyota is that the Toyota micros SD cards can be moved from vehicle to vehicle without issue, once it's the same type of navigation system.
However, on the Lexus models, the micro SD card is "married" to the Navigation unit once inserted...it cannot be used on another vehicle that uses the same card type.
Your options are to buy a new micro SD card, or get a new head unit to use with the card from the lot car. Obviously the second option is just crazy.
If you swap the navi unit and card from the lot vehicle, then it will work.
Old 02-24-18, 08:46 AM
rsalazar
Driver School Candidate

thats ture about the toyota.. I have done it before on my toyotas cars... Thanks
Old 02-24-18, 12:53 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

You can't pull the nav card out of another vehicle. It won't work. You will need to get a new card from the dealership.
Old 02-24-18, 09:41 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleksei

First thing I would try to update multimedia software on your car.
Here is the link to it https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads
Then I would try again inserting that sd card from that same year car you had on your lot.

I don’t think that sd locked to a specific car, data on the card is locked to specific card to avoid a copy to a different sd.
It is locked to a specific car.... that's why it doesn't work...

OP, maybe go back to the place you got the vehicle from and inquire about it, did you know in advance? I'm sure they probably wont give a **** now since they made the sale, but maybe they'll work with you.

Last edited by premier3IS; 02-24-18 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 08:58 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Having said all that, the original card that was taken out will only work in a new head unit, so the card is really of no use to anyone, unless they have a new head unit to put it in. If they have the card, they might as well give it to you since it will only work in your car.