IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ugh. Tiny nick on windshield from stone

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 03:19 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ugh. Tiny nick on windshield from stone

Hi everyone. I usually avoid highways for this purpose, but I was driving home this evening and a truck far in front of me must’ve kicked up the stone. I heard the noise as it made contact with the windshield and thought f@*k! Well, now there are two tiny nicks on the glass that look like crushed glass. You can feel it with your fingernail but they aren’t deep.

Can these be fixed so that they are nice and smooth and unnoticeable, or am I pretty much stuck with dealing with it. They are tiny but my OCD is getting to me! 😟
Old 03-02-18, 03:52 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Here is a picture. Sorry about the flash. Circled the little boogers in red!
Old 03-02-18, 04:16 PM
Jada27
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes they are fixable, i had the same thing on my car. I work for nissan and i do small repairs to windshields. I have a kit that is able to fix these pits and leave it smooth and almost unnoticeable. I'm sure if you go to a shop that repairs windshield they will be able to fix it for you.
Old 03-02-18, 04:24 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jada27
yes they are fixable, i had the same thing on my car. I work for nissan and i do small repairs to windshields. I have a kit that is able to fix these pits and leave it smooth and almost unnoticeable. I'm sure if you go to a shop that repairs windshield they will be able to fix it for you.
Thanks for the comfort! The chips are actual on the passenger side towards the top. I guess that’s the norm driving in NJ. Had I driven more on the highway, there’d probably be even more of them. It’s a shame that nothing can be done cosmetically. 😞
Old 03-02-18, 04:27 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Sucks, I know (CA freeways), my windshield if full of em. Unless there's a crack, with a chip that size, I don't know that there's much to be done. If if bothers you that much, you could have a windshield / glass place assess to see if they could fill in the chips with resin and then smooth them out, or polish them out if they are really shallow chips maybe... short of that (and a replacement) hopefully they are not in your direct sight line.
It’s a shame the glass isn’t more resilient. I know it’s made to crumble if in serious collision. Someone should make a foldable clear and lasting shield that attaches easily to the front and is easily removable that can be used specifically for highway driving!
Old 03-02-18, 04:30 PM
Jada27
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FUZCO

Thanks for the comfort! The chips are actual on the passenger side towards the top. I guess that’s the norm driving in NJ. Had I driven more on the highway, there’d probably be even more of them. It’s a shame that nothing can be done cosmetically. 😞
Its the same thing here in New York. If you get them fix post a picture of it, i would like to see how they come out compared to mine.
Old 03-02-18, 04:43 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Its the same thing here in New York. If you get them fix post a picture of it, i would like to see how they come out compared to mine.
Will do. Do you think it’s just in areas where there’s rock salt on the roads or all over the place?
Old 03-02-18, 05:46 PM
xsrhaym
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they're fixable, but I wouldn't bother with fixing it. Lexus glass and headlight housing plastic apparently is very soft and easily chipped. My windshield has so many, my friend actually thought the dealership didn't wash my car properly, thinking the pits were dust particles. If you drive on freeways often, expect to get more of these down the road.

- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eld-glass.html
- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-pitted.html
Old 03-02-18, 06:47 PM
stephenmat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a car meant to be driven.
Old 03-02-18, 08:34 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Got many of those "nicks" from CA freeways. smh. Unfortunately, those "nicks" cannot be fixed. Just gotta get use to em.

My latest injury...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-replace.html
Old 03-02-18, 09:38 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Some insurance have a windscreen replacement clause 1 screen a year. I know I have but I'm in the GREAT LAND OF OZ CHEERS
Old 03-03-18, 03:22 AM
dcmr1888
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar chip on my windshield on the passenger side top corner. You will need a resin pit filler and later a pit glaze compound to polish the repaired chip. If done correctly it is barely visible.
Old 03-03-18, 10:14 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

I’ve heard that the resin usually leaves a small cloudy spot instead of completely clear. Can you confirm?
Old 03-03-18, 10:17 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dcmr1888
Had a similar chip on my windshield on the passenger side top corner. You will need a resin pit filler and later a pit glaze compound to polish the repaired chip. If done correctly it is barely visible.
That’s where mine are too. Did you do it yourself? Is there a milky white cloudy appearance when the resin dries? I heard that usually there still is a white spot even though the surface is smooth.
Old 03-03-18, 11:35 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO

I’ve heard that the resin usually leaves a small cloudy spot instead of completely clear. Can you confirm?
True,
I honestly wouldn't bother to fix these, as they are not crack, and cannot get "Worse". And the money you spend on "fixing" them, you're better off getting a new windshield (thru insurance, if possible) in the long run. Cause these nicks will happen again.....

Quick Reply: Ugh. Tiny nick on windshield from stone