IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Invidia Q300 Axleback Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 07:40 AM
WhoDeyB7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Invidia Q300 Axleback Question

A few nights ago I installed the Q300 Axelback on my '14 IS350 RWD. It is super quiet...like you can barely hear any noise compared to stock. I ended up using the original OEM exhaust donuts (bought the axelback used and it didn't come with flange gaskets) Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if there is a slight leak which is causing the quiet sound out of the rear. May be in the market for midpipes.

Pic for attention!

Old 03-08-18, 07:54 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you had an exhaust leak premuffler it would be louder not quieter due to the gases escaping before they could be muffled.

Welcome to the forums!
The following users liked this post:
WhoDeyB7 (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 07:59 AM
WhoDeyB7
Driver School Candidate

That was my initial thought too. I am just super surprised at how quiet it is. I went with the axleback because I don't want too much noise. However, I did expect more. Anyone else have a similar experience with only doing an axleback? I'm afraid midpipes will be too loud for what I want.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 03-08-18, 08:08 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by WhoDeyB7
That was my initial thought too. I am just super surprised at how quiet it is. I went with the axleback because I don't want too much noise. However, I did expect more. Anyone else have a similar experience with only doing an axleback? I'm afraid midpipes will be too loud for what I want.

Thanks for the welcome!
You could do long tube PPE headers to get more sound and power and leave the factory mid-pipe.
WhoDeyB7 (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 08:34 AM
WhoDeyB7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by loophole35
You could do long tube PPE headers to get more sound and power and leave the factory mid-pipe.
I've thought about doing that, but I really don't want too much noise. I just wish I got a LITTLE bit more from the Q300 axelback.
Old 03-08-18, 08:50 AM
WhoDeyB7
Driver School Candidate

Side note: Does anyone have a link to where I can buy the replacement gaskets? I can't find anything and like I said before, I re-used the oem donut gaskets.
Old 03-08-18, 10:12 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

1. I used the OEM gaskets and hardware and it works just fine.
2. Invidia made 2 different Q300 exhausts. One is louder than the other. The older version was notorious for being on the quieter side. The version they make now has more sound to it. The way to know if you have the newer version is to see if the back of the muffler opposite side of the tips is stamped with an 'H'.
3. If it does have the H, you could consider switching to the louder JoeZ or Apexi axle back.
WhoDeyB7 (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 10:14 AM
WhoDeyB7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
1. I used the OEM gaskets and hardware and it works just fine.
2. Invidia made 2 different Q300 exhausts. One is louder than the other. The older version was notorious for being on the quieter side. The version they make now has more sound to it. The way to know if you have the newer version is to see if the back of the muffler opposite side of the tips is stamped with an 'H'.
3. If it does have the H, you could consider switching to the louder JoeZ or Apexi axle back.
Interesting. I'm like 90% sure I saw the H before I installed. I will have to double check though.
Old 03-08-18, 10:48 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

The above is correct. You can add a midpipe to make it louder though.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-08-18, 10:56 AM
henrymc8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Side note: Does anyone have a link to where I can buy the replacement gaskets? I can't find anything and like I said before, I re-used the oem donut gaskets.
I also bought a used Invidia Q300 axelback and did not come with exhaust donuts. I called Invidia directly and they said I can use the oem exhaust donuts.

Do anyone have any suggestion diy how to loosen the oem exhaust bolts? All the bolts look a little rusted and having trouble with them. All quotes have been $80 to install axelback in Houston, TX.

Old 03-08-18, 10:59 AM
WhoDeyB7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by henrymc8
I also bought a used Invidia Q300 axelback and did not come with exhaust donuts. I called Invidia directly and they said I can use the oem exhaust donuts.

Do anyone have any suggestion diy how to loosen the oem exhaust bolts? All the bolts look a little rusted and having trouble with them. All quotes have been $80 to install axelback in Houston, TX.

Get a can of PB blaster and cover those bolts to help break them loose. A buddy and I installed my axleback in literally 15 minutes. Air tools and a lift obviously helps lol
Old 03-08-18, 11:01 AM
WhoDeyB7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
The above is correct. You can add a midpipe to make it louder though.

-Josh
Of all of the big name mid pipes (Joe Z, Invidia, Tsudo etc) which one is the most quiet? I want a little more noise but not too much to where its obnoxious.
Old 03-08-18, 01:54 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Of all of the big name mid pipes (Joe Z, Invidia, Tsudo etc) which one is the most quiet? I want a little more noise but not too much to where its obnoxious.
Invidia.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-08-18, 03:00 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i installed an invidia q300h axle back in early january. first impression, it was very quiet and i was pissed. 8 weeks later, it’s actually rather noisey. hilariously, i found it got louder everytime i drove it, its been about 8 weeks now.

ive heard another member on the street with the full system, that’s way too loud. give it about 500 miles / 3 tanks of gas and then decide if you want the midpipe.

keep in mind, cabin noise is much quieter as the lexus appears to be insulated from noise quite well. have a friend take it for a spin while you listen from outside (again, drive 500 miles first)

overall, im relatively satisfied. just wish it was a tad louder, but not catback loud. hope this helps, GL. .
WhoDeyB7 (03-09-18)
Old 03-08-18, 03:05 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

when you order from invidia, its shown as q300. when it arrives, q300 H is stamped
on the box and i also found the H on the muffler.

Quick Reply: Invidia Q300 Axleback Question