IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

AWD F-Sport and front tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-19 | 07:34 PM
Mathsss
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arentz07
Are you talking about the rim protector? I do think the Turanzas actually had decent rim protection. I definitely have some minor scuffs on the rim of one of my wheels from what I assume is hitting a pothole. I never got anything like that when I had the Turanzas.

However, I would not buy the Turanzas again. They wore out quickly, weren't especially smooth-riding, and didn't have remotely the same performance as the Comp-2 A/S that I have now.

Honestly, whether a tire is a good choice is up to you. What do you want to get out of the tire? If you want the max performance but need all-seasons, the Michelins and BFGoodrich are the way to go. The Continentals will be more comfortable and more capable in snow, but they are much less responsive than the other two. I've heard the Yokohama A/S tires are a nice middle ground and more affordable than the top tiers. Personally I've had a great experience with my BFGoodrich's, and I have pushed them pretty hard a couple of times (for example, this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-missouri.html). They are better than the Turanzas in snow, too, FWIW.
For sure I am not buying the Turanza. Like I within my previous thread I am looking for a summer tire since in Quebec winter tires are mandatory (I have Nokian Hakk R3). Additionally I want a tire that is good on the rain, stick well and not too noisy and if possible rim protector like the turanzas.

People said in previous responses that Michelin does not last long so I was thinking about the Continental DSW 06 or something around 1K$ CAD and below. I fall on the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 while browsing at possible tire reacement and the reviews are geat and threadwear pretty good and way cheaper (40%). Looks like they want to push the sales of that new tire.
Old 05-04-19 | 09:58 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm no tire expert, but I ran two sets of DWS's on my Z4. They were definitely nicer-riding than the stock runflats, and on the first set I got well over the rated 80,000kms+ out of them. Were very good in all conditions, although we don't typically get heavy snow here and I usually wouldn't drive in it anyway. Considering the IS isn't a convertible, I was immediately astounded at what I perceive to be road noise from the tires in an otherwise quiet car. Certainly more than the soft-top Z4 Contis. I use one set year round, so when the Turanzas are done I'm likely going back to the DWS. As for protection, the previous owner curbed every single rim, so not sure how much that counts for.
Old 05-08-19 | 05:12 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you talking about the rim protector? I do think the Turanzas actually had decent rim protection. I definitely have some minor scuffs on the rim of one of my wheels from what I assume is hitting a pothole. I never got anything like that when I had the Turanzas.

However, I would not buy the Turanzas again. They wore out quickly, weren't especially smooth-riding, and didn't have remotely the same performance as the Comp-2 A/S that I have now.

Honestly, whether a tire is a good choice is up to you. What do you want to get out of the tire? If you want the max performance but need all-seasons, the Michelins and BFGoodrich are the way to go. The Continentals will be more comfortable and more capable in snow, but they are much less responsive than the other two. I've heard the Yokohama A/S tires are a nice middle ground and more affordable than the top tiers. Personally I've had a great experience with my BFGoodrich's, and I have pushed them pretty hard a couple of times (for example, this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-missouri.html). They are better than the Turanzas in snow, too, FWIW.
Hey arentz07, what kind of tread life have you gotten out of the BFGoodrichs?
Old 05-08-19 | 05:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by AVIAT0R
Hey arentz07, what kind of tread life have you gotten out of the BFGoodrichs?
Too early to say, as I have put only about 7,000 miles on the tires. That said, about 1,000 miles ago I checked the inners of the front tires, and they seemed to be better than I would have thought. I really need a tread depth gauge...
Old 05-08-19 | 05:56 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Too early to say, as I have put only about 7,000 miles on the tires. That said, about 1,000 miles ago I checked the inners of the front tires, and they seemed to be better than I would have thought. I really need a tread depth gauge...
Oh okay, yeah a gauge is really nice to have. You can see how much the tire wore down so far in the first 7000 miles and can roughly calculate estimated remaining life.

It also lets you see whether certain parts of the tire are wearing faster than others, which may not be easy to spot just eyeballing it until the tire is close to end of life.
Old 05-08-19 | 08:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Oh okay, yeah a gauge is really nice to have. You can see how much the tire wore down so far in the first 7000 miles and can roughly calculate estimated remaining life.

It also lets you see whether certain parts of the tire are wearing faster than others, which may not be easy to spot just eyeballing it until the tire is close to end of life.
Yeah, you are giving me a reason to go ahead and order one. It would come in handy to help catch tire wear issues early and gauge exactly how much life is left.

Yeah my last "measurement" was with a quarter. Honestly I couldn't tell a difference between inner and outer tread depth using that method.
Old 05-08-19 | 08:37 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Yeah, you are giving me a reason to go ahead and order one. It would come in handy to help catch tire wear issues early and gauge exactly how much life is left.

Yeah my last "measurement" was with a quarter. Honestly I couldn't tell a difference between inner and outer tread depth using that method.
Do you have the GSF/RCF bushing installed? I can't remember who all has installed them haha.
Old 05-08-19 | 08:37 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Super handy! You are lucky your tires are wearing evenly!
Old 05-08-19 | 08:38 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flash5
Do you have the GSF/RCF bushing installed? I can't remember who all has installed them haha.
I remember reading that he didn't have any bushings changed.
Old 05-08-19 | 08:50 AM
arentz07
drives cars

I remember reading that he didn't have any bushings changed.
Correct. The only change I've done is slight toe-in at the front, at the recommendation of the dealer service advisor. Maybe it is working. But we'll see when I have actual numbers.
Old 05-08-19 | 09:13 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Correct. The only change I've done is slight toe-in at the front, at the recommendation of the dealer service advisor. Maybe it is working. But we'll see when I have actual numbers.
I wonder the difference between AWD and RWD in terms of inner tire wear.
Old 05-08-19 | 09:49 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flash5
I wonder the difference between AWD and RWD in terms of inner tire wear.
Very good point, now I'm wondering the same lol.
Old 05-12-19 | 02:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Post Got measurements

I got my tread depth gauge today and took some measurements. It's an analog gauge, so not very precise, but definitely still precise enough to tell if there's going to be an issue, IMO.

How to interpret: O = outer, M = middle, I = inner
Numbers are 1/32nd-inch.

Code:
    O / M / I
FL 8.0/7.5/7.5
FR 8.0/7.0/8.0
RL 7.0/7.0/7.5
RR 7.5/7.0/7.0
I had 28,500 miles on the clock and replaced my old tires at roughly 21,500. Factory tread depth is 9/32" on both front and rear tires, so that means there's been about 1.5/32" of wear on average per tire. Granted, I put these tires on in the fall and went through a winter. I expect them to wear a bit faster in the coming warmer months. So, if I round up to 2/32" per 7,000 miles, I'd say these will easily last another 10,000-12,000 miles before they dip below 5/32". That is pretty typical for this car, but the main thing I appreciate is the more even wear. Looks like the alignment change actually helped a lot.
Old 05-13-19 | 08:35 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

I got my tread depth gauge today and took some measurements. It's an analog gauge, so not very precise, but definitely still precise enough to tell if there's going to be an issue, IMO.

How to interpret: O = outer, M = middle, I = inner
Numbers are 1/32nd-inch.

Code:
O / M / I
FL 8.0/7.5/7.5
FR 8.0/7.0/8.0
RL 7.0/7.0/7.5
RR 7.5/7.0/7.0
I had 28,500 miles on the clock and replaced my old tires at roughly 21,500. Factory tread depth is 9/32" on both front and rear tires, so that means there's been about 1.5/32" of wear on average per tire. Granted, I put these tires on in the fall and went through a winter. I expect them to wear a bit faster in the coming warmer months. So, if I round up to 2/32" per 7,000 miles, I'd say these will easily last another 10,000-12,000 miles before they dip below 5/32". That is pretty typical for this car, but the main thing I appreciate is the more even wear. Looks like the alignment change actually helped a lot.
Thanks for the update! Your tires seem to be wearing slower than mine. I have the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ F sport stock everything. My tires lost 2/32 in 4000 miles. :/

These seem to be wearing faster than avg? I mostly drive normally.
Old 05-13-19 | 08:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Thanks for the update! Your tires seem to be wearing slower than mine. I have the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ F sport stock everything. My tires lost 2/32 in 4000 miles. :/

These seem to be wearing faster than avg? I mostly drive normally.
I don't know whether it's a significant difference, and even the tire specs listed by the manufacturer could be rounded down. Anything 1/32" or less is immaterial, really.

There are a lot of factors though. Temperature, tire pressure, and road conditions come into play. For what it's worth, I try to keep the tires at least at the factory-recommended 36 PSI. In colder weather, I don't mind if they dip down to 35, but they're at least 36 PSI when the car is garaged. Now that the weather is warming up, my tires will be at 37 PSI when I leave the office. I probably could run a slightly lower pressure if I wanted, but I like the steering response and ride quality trade-off as is.

It also depends on how you drive. I've admittedly been driving more aggressively since I put the new tires on, since it's just more fun now. I think that explains why the rears are more worn than the fronts. Even so, it's a negligible difference.

The PS A/S 3+ have slightly more tread depth and a higher treadwear rating, so I would expect them to last longer overall, everything else being equal. Intuitively, anyway.

Quick Reply: AWD F-Sport and front tire wear