IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

strange noise when shifting into drive this morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 12:57 PM
Audi2Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise when shifting into drive this morning

Two weeks ago I purchased a CPO 2015 Lexus IS250. The car has been great so far. I've noticed some slight body creaking when making turns at low speeds (parking deck at work), but other than that I've been very happy.

This morning I noticed two strange things that I'm a bit concerned about.

1. I started my car after it was sitting outside over night. It was probably around 30-35*F outside this morning. After about a minute, I shifted into drive and started driving to get out of my apartment complex. All was fine/normal. I noticed that one of the exits had a large chunk of snow blocking part of it.. so I decided to reverse and go through a different exit. I put the car in reverse, backed up a slight incline, put my foot completely on the brake, and then shifted into drive. While my foot was still completely on the brake - I heard an odd sound from the rear of my car. It wasn't a clap, or a grind really. It didn't sound like a missed shift in a manual car, but more of a gear struggling to turn or rubbing against something. It's hard to describe because it caught my completely off guard. It lasted about a second or so - and then the car drove completely normally. It shifted smoothly and everything was back to normal. Any ideas?

2. I was stopped at a traffic light and my foot was completely on the brake. I'm trying to think as hard as I can but I'm pretty sure my foot never let off the brake at all. However, out of nowhere the car seemed to rock forward for a split second and i heard a bit of a creak from the front drivers side. Once again, this caught me completely off guard.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any ideas? The car has 26,XXX miles, brand new tires, and new brakes.

Last edited by Audi2Lexus; 03-15-18 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 01:10 PM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your brakes. Happened to me.

When the brakes are in good shape, you barely have to press the pedal for a full stop. As they wear out, you'll still be applying the same pressure, but they won't bite as hard. So your car will inch forward a bit and you'll hear a grinding sound.

This may or not be what you heard in scenario one, but most likely scenario two.

If there was a problem with your tranny, you'd get a light instantly.

Edit: Just saw that you have new brakes, but perhaps they're not squeezing your rotor hard enough.
Old 03-15-18, 05:31 PM
Audi2Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the response. The dealer told me the brakes were new (probably pads, not rotors) when I purchased the car. I checked the CPO documents and they wrote 10mm all around.

I also thought it was a little strange that with this car... if i let off the brake at idle - sometimes the car doesn't really move forward on its own. I need to test this out more. If i'm on perfectly flat ground or a decline it will.. but a few times when I was on even just a slight incline, or reversing into a parking spot and let off the gas, the car would eventually come to a stop and not really move on its own. Makes me wonder if something's up with the parking brake; although I haven't touched that since I bought it.
Old 03-15-18, 08:12 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi2Lexus
I appreciate the response. The dealer told me the brakes were new (probably pads, not rotors) when I purchased the car. I checked the CPO documents and they wrote 10mm all around.

I also thought it was a little strange that with this car... if i let off the brake at idle - sometimes the car doesn't really move forward on its own. I need to test this out more. If i'm on perfectly flat ground or a decline it will.. but a few times when I was on even just a slight incline, or reversing into a parking spot and let off the gas, the car would eventually come to a stop and not really move on its own. Makes me wonder if something's up with the parking brake; although I haven't touched that since I bought it.
If you drive hurry like Taxi, the transmission makes crack noise when you put in R and that will damage your gear. 2nd, Toyota/Lexus new braking system tend to make creaking noise if you press-hold the brake pedal, happened to me everyday when the car sit over or sit for so long, my Brand New Toyota Rav4 2017 same thing , the Rav4 has 5k miles/ Km lol

Check your brake, caliper might as well seized loose the E-brake too
Old 03-16-18, 12:38 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,916 Posts

You got it two weeks ago, so I'd say you're still in range of just taking it to the dealership and trying to show them the problem. For whatever that's worth.