IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Safe To Take 2014 IS250 to Valvoine Instant Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 01:33 PM
curio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe To Take 2014 IS250 to Valvoine Instant Oil Change

Was thinking about taking my 2014 IS250 to Valvoline to avoid dealer charges for the oil change. I know the manual says it recommends Toyota motor oil, but you think it'd be okay to take it to Valvoline? I feel like dealerships and doctors are the same, the more you stay away from them, the less problems you have.
Old 03-16-18, 01:38 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

You should be fine as long as they use 0-20 synthetic

You could even buy the oil yourself such as Mobil 1 at Walmart
Old 03-16-18, 02:11 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

sure, if you want to pay a premium for their services.

Go to Walmart, get Mobil 1 oil. Take it to an indy shop and tell them to just put it in for you. That way you know exactly the oil your car is getting. They charge like 10-15 bucks to do this usually and if its anything more, just go to another shop.
Old 03-17-18, 06:13 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

yep +1 for Mobile 1 synthetic 0-20 for your IS ! i can guaranty you Mobile 1 is Best Performance and Protection Proven ! even my old Mom can feel the different between other brand oil and Mobile 1 Synthetic
Old 03-17-18, 07:27 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I’m going to say you’d be fine taking it there. I ask the tech at my Lexus dealership what oil they were putting into my IS and he said valvoline full synthetic, so I can’t see where it would truly matter. The dealer will just look and inspect other points the instant change won’t, but in the end does it warrant the up charge? I’m not wanting to start a flame war, but I don’t personally like Valvoline, so I’m not going back. I’ve always preferred Mobil 1 or Amsoil for my vehicles, and can’t see paying $110 for an oil change and wiper fluid.
Old 03-17-18, 02:22 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
! i can guaranty you Mobile 1 is Best Performance and Protection Proven ! even my old Mom can feel the different between other brand oil and Mobile 1 Synthetic
A lot of oil can guarantee engine protection. Personally, I use Eneos or Mazda Moly 0W-20 in my Lexus. When I had my 2014 Mazda 6 with the new SkyActive Engine, I was able to go 20k before an oil change. I had hard proof of that on paper from Blackstone Labs.

Feeling the difference is also subjective. I can change the oil and initially, it will feel and sound a lot smoother. But, also at the 3k interval, I can feel the difference because the acoustic\vibration signature is slightly different. Changing oil at whatever interval you decide will definitely make it "feel" better for X amount of miles until the chemistry breaks down.

Last edited by MX73; 03-17-18 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 09:19 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by MX73
A lot of oil can guarantee engine protection. Personally, I use Eneos or Mazda Moly 0W-20 in my Lexus. When I had my 2014 Mazda 6 with the new SkyActive Engine, I was able to go 20k before an oil change. I had hard proof of that on paper from Blackstone Labs.

Feeling the difference is also subjective. I can change the oil and initially, it will feel and sound a lot smoother. But, also at the 3k interval, I can feel the difference because the acoustic\vibration signature is slightly different. Changing oil at whatever interval you decide will definitely make it "feel" better for X amount of miles until the chemistry breaks down.
Doesn't hurt bro, even if you use regular oil, but Mobil 1 itself is a LONG LASTING Best performance and Engine Protection proven, i've been using Mobil 1 for more than 10 years, i've tried "Motul Royal Purple Lexus OEM full Syn, Castrol, i don't like them.

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr
I’m going to say you’d be fine taking it there. I ask the tech at my Lexus dealership what oil they were putting into my IS and he said valvoline full synthetic, so I can’t see where it would truly matter. The dealer will just look and inspect other points the instant change won’t, but in the end does it warrant the up charge? I’m not wanting to start a flame war, but I don’t personally like Valvoline, so I’m not going back. I’ve always preferred Mobil 1 or Amsoil for my vehicles, and can’t see paying $110 for an oil change and wiper fluid.
That's your point of view and your tastes, the people like me NEVER ASKED what kind of ENGINE OIL should be used in their car, couple years ago when i 1st came on Club Lexus, people argued me about Transmission fluid should NOT be changed due to the LIFE TIME etc. even Lexus Dealership changed their mind after and recommend 150km or 200k km, as i know LEXUS CANADA always recommend 200k km , but some Lexus dealership still says NO CHANGE. I can't argue about that. it's their opinion. Engine oil does not make any different to you, i can't argue about that either. I see a whole lot of Lexus Driver went to our Shop and change Engine Oil with "RECYCLED" one, i asked them and they said no different !

If you drive like Grandma its truly no different, but if you drive like "Nascar or street racer, you'll feel the different, most Lexus, BMW Mercedes Audi Dealerships in Toronto Canada uses MOBIL 1 synthetic for their customers if they want better engine oil. PORCH recommend only MOBIL 1

Last edited by Solara350; 03-18-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 12:56 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Wonder how much Mobil 1 paid Porsche for that endorsement?

Yeah let's not get into a war on which oil brands are good, as there are plenty of threads out there already. If there are any to avoid, that'd be good to know though.
Old 03-19-18, 07:13 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
Wonder how much Mobil 1 paid Porsche for that endorsement?

Yeah let's not get into a war on which oil brands are good, as there are plenty of threads out there already. If there are any to avoid, that'd be good to know though.
lol Mercedes Audi and VW also recommends Mobil 1 , i think most German cars , Lexus Dealer OEM Synthetic engine oil name "TOYOTA" on the bottle lol i don't like it hahaha ya let not War.
Old 03-19-18, 11:44 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mercedes recommends Petronas
Ferrari recommends Shell / Pennzoil
Mercedes AMG recommends Shell

My mechanic said that as long as the certification for the oil is right, most brands are the same
Old 03-20-18, 12:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Mobil 1 is great. But really, all modern oils, as long as they meet manufacturer spec (most if not ALL brands do these days), are great and within fractions of 1% of eachother in terms of "performance." These metrics include viscosity at temp, HTHS, oxidation, etc.

Personally I would use Mobil 1, Shell, Castrol where available but other oils, really, will do the same job for street driven cars. The more important factor is that you change it. Not what brand.

FWIW, when I went to my Lexus dealer, Newport Beach Lexus, I was surprised they didn't use Genuine Toyota 5-20. They used Castrol 5-20. Fine by me. LIGAF. As long as it's oil that meet's spec.
Old 03-20-18, 12:19 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny

My mechanic said that as long as the certification for the oil is right, most brands are the same
that is correct.

AFAIK, Factory fill for all Mercedes AMG and Porsche is M1 0W-40 EURO (very different, but probably ok) oil than your typical Lexus spec'd oil. For one it has a much higher viscosity and HTHS minimum. Euro mfrs are extremely strict about HTHS
Old 03-20-18, 03:41 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by jennypenny

Mercedes in UK US Canada recommend Mobil 1 https://www.mobil1.co.uk/which-synth...ngine-oil.aspx

Look in these pictures closely, MOST Performance Mercedes Audi Porche cars in US and Canada recommend Mobil 1, High performance cars comes to our SHOP everyday, i had opportunity to checked them out, Ferrari came too but the BOSS didn't let me touch lol , when i say something i made sure it is TRUE ! next time ill take picture the CAR and my FACE lol

Lexus didn't recommend because Lexus Engine is **** compare to AMG Sline M series ! Read my post carefully , i said most DEALERSHIP recommend Mobil 1, i did not say Factory, but here pictures to show Factory recommendation . Lexus used TOYOTA Synthetic unless you request Mobil 1 ...in Canada ! did you know those brands oil in Canada is cheap ? 10 years ago in Canada Mobil1 , 5L bottle costs 70k$ CAD, and Panzoil only 29.99$ CAD ? now 4.4L = 59.99$ CAD , at Canadian Tire ! in Toronto Canada most expensive Engine oil are Mobil 1 , AMsoil, Motul ! dealer costs you 100$+ with these brands. at our Shop 99.99$ including taxed.

Last edited by Solara350; 03-20-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 03:59 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
that is correct.

AFAIK, Factory fill for all Mercedes AMG and Porsche is M1 0W-40 EURO (very different, but probably ok) oil than your typical Lexus spec'd oil. For one it has a much higher viscosity and HTHS minimum. Euro mfrs are extremely strict about HTHS
The more expensive the better ! This is America bro, you know that . People defends themselves so they can feel better with their saving. Every single Engine has its own OEM oil made by the Engine Builder. But recommendation by the Engineer to met its best performance of an Engine. I can change oil for only 30$ CAD including everything ! but why should i ?