IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Increase Air Induction / Snorkel Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 10:55 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I kept the conditions, timing between pulls, gear used (mainly 3rd gear), and ambient temps very consistent between both setups and time of day (early morning for the low temp WOT pulls and noon timeframe for the high temp WOT pulls) in order to minimize variables with the weather conditions which would impact the comparisons. I have the specific details of my multiple months of datalogs buried in my build thread if you want the full info:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html

My heatsoak comment is based on testing the IAT for both setups under the exact conditions and time of day (ie sitting idle for 3 minutes at a traffic light at noon to get readings and then driving to see how quickly the IAT reduces; letting the engine and intake heatsoak in the garage for 30 minutes and getting initial readings, cruising on the freeway at a certain speed with similar ambient temps, and other scenarios using both setups).
It would be nice to log ambient air temperature and humidity during those runs, as it would provide a nice base line..
Old 11-11-20, 06:26 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
It would be nice to log ambient air temperature and humidity during those runs, as it would provide a nice base line..
IIRC, the ambient temperatures during the summer morning datalogs was right at 70 degrees. The IAT readings that were in the 80s to low 90s were during the morning runs. Noon ambient temperatures was consistently at 90 degrees for the higher IAT runs. I typically saw a 10-15 degree difference in temperature readings between ambient and IAT readings. Humidity is consistently maxed out being that it is Florida.
Old 07-28-23, 11:53 AM
GS350Canada
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I'm convinced I was right and this stock intake is good-to-go. (ok, minus that silly sound enhancement...thing).
Whats wrong with the sound generator? I'm about to replace my 3GS intake with a 3IS intake pipe specifically for that
Old 07-30-23, 08:20 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
New owner of a 2014 IS350 as of last week! One of my absolute favorite cars period since 2006, finally own. Black on black, super excited, blah, blah, blah (no but really I've lost a lot of sleep this week )

First thing I did when thinking of mods is take a good look at the intake.
Noticed after about a minute I wasn't sure I was going to get something much better by going aftermarket. Don't care if it's shiny. And definitely not leaving the engine bay victim to outside elements and some cone filter sucking on hot air all day (really? Although I know they usually sound great) After hours of reading threads on here...I'm convinced I was right and this stock intake is good-to-go. (ok, minus that silly sound enhancement...thing).

I do have a K&N drop-in arriving tomorrow, and have one last thought on this intake before I move onto exhaust....

Has anyone increased air-flow into this stock airbox? No, I don't mean drilling holes for increased sound. And I will not remove airbox entirely, unless there's a bigger aftermarket one.
Maybe this snorkel can be enlarge or another one built in it's place?. Perhaps a sealed passage to down behind the fender/bumper to compliment the snorkel already in place?

(I did something like this on my old SC300...looked pretty garage rigged but better than anything they sold)
Get a set of mufflers just for the Noise and Fun, Aftermarket air intake systems or whatever mod will not work for Lexus engine, and the Short Ram intake will harm your engine more than good unless you Custom Turbo full ECU reflash the fact that Air Intake and Muffler do not increase any HP.
Civic fan boyz will tell you, Cold Air intake increases 10hp Bruh ! Muffler increase 15hp yo ! hahaha "There's no cold air intake, the OEM air box is cold air".
I've tested short ram intake on the IS350, HP decreased about 6-8hp, and I've tested Muffler deleted on Lexus RC350, Power decreased significantly, felt like an old Toyota Corolla 4cyl.
So Scotty Kilmer was right about the stupid what they called "cold air intake".
Also, Jason Engineer Explained talked about Back Pressure for modern cars etc.
Old 07-30-23, 08:39 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
Get a set of mufflers just for the Noise and Fun, Aftermarket air intake systems or whatever mod will not work for Lexus engine, and the Short Ram intake will harm your engine more than good unless you Custom Turbo full ECU reflash the fact that Air Intake and Muffler do not increase any HP.
Civic fan boyz will tell you, Cold Air intake increases 10hp Bruh ! Muffler increase 15hp yo ! hahaha "There's no cold air intake, the OEM air box is cold air".
I've tested short ram intake on the IS350, HP decreased about 6-8hp, and I've tested Muffler deleted on Lexus RC350, Power decreased significantly, felt like an old Toyota Corolla 4cyl.
So Scotty Kilmer was right about the stupid what they called "cold air intake".
Also, Jason Engineer Explained talked about Back Pressure for modern cars etc.
Care to share dyno sheets on your testing of these two cars? I would love to see the data from your personal testing.

I believe you on the cold air intake, but I think you’re just saying things to be saying things. Spreading misinformation here is dumb.

why would a free flowing exhaust lose you horsepower? That’s how you make power on these cars, you remove the restrictions in the exhaust, including the cats, mufflers, resonators, etc.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (07-30-23)
Old 07-30-23, 04:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Care to share dyno sheets on your testing of these two cars? I would love to see the data from your personal testing.

I believe you on the cold air intake, but I think you’re just saying things to be saying things. Spreading misinformation here is dumb.

why would a free flowing exhaust lose you horsepower? That’s how you make power on these cars, you remove the restrictions in the exhaust, including the cats, mufflers, resonators, etc.

Lets see what they say? lol!

Funny that one of the biggest Lexus ECU Tuners who has done 500+ dyno runs and seen results says different. Then there is also the problem of how the average joe compares the CAI vs factory dyno.
Old 07-30-23, 05:40 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by jgscott

Funny that one of the biggest Lexus ECU Tuners who has done 500+ dyno runs and seen results says different. Then there is also the problem of how the average joe compares the CAI vs factory dyno.
My problem isn’t with the data. I believe what he says about the intake, most tuners agree slapping on a cone filter instead of the polymer intake box does nothing but increase IAT’s. Putting a different muffler or a muffler delete on the car only probably won’t make a difference either, but it sure as hell won’t hurt it. Opening up these motors with a less restrictive, usually catless set of manifold and midpipe is really where power is to be gained.

The problem that I have is that this individual keeps spreading crap data all over this forum. I’m really curious to see what kind of “testing” he did, considering the only real, validated data would come from a dyno, with all runs performed on the same day with the same atmospheric conditions, on the same car, with ample time to let heat soak dissipate.
Old 07-30-23, 06:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes I understand. I said what I said for number of problems with the post. Some you said and more. I'll quote and explain a bit more later.

I've spoken with 3 Dyno ecu Tuners of Lexus's. All have agreed on questions I had especially about Intake mods. One key about the Intake is this, is not the 80's and 90's anymore. The CAI Intake's are more developed now. Notice one of the GS F Intake as just one example of many. It's a Full cone on tube. But it's sealed in a Air box. There are other CIA sealed cone designs out there also. One company flow bench measures develops their CIA.

The hot air... "you already have a CAI from the factory", is old outdated history advise. Many times some don't even realize that Intake, Exhaust, even Tune will give Zero if you car is not in good condition wise with upper engine carbon build up, plugs, crap octane fuel, etc., etc., and the inability for the KCVL timing to advance and take optimum advantage of the changes. Allow more air into a motor that has tons of carbon built up on the intake valves and ports is not going to result in nothing but someone saying they don't work for Lexus's. lol! Throw something on, try it out then say it won't work for our XX cars. There is way more I'm going to post about it, because I also hate the misinformation spread.
Old 07-30-23, 06:48 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Yes I understand. I said what I said for number of problems with the post. Some you said and more. I'll quote and explain a bit more later.

I've spoken with 3 Dyno ecu Tuners of Lexus's. All have agreed on questions I had especially about Intake mods. One key about the Intake is this, is not the 80's and 90's anymore. The CAI Intake's are more developed now. Notice one of the GS F Intake as just one example of many. It's a Full cone on tube. But it's sealed in a Air box. There are other CIA sealed cone designs out there also. One company flow bench measures develops their CIA.

The hot air... "you already have a CAI from the factory", is old outdated history advise. Many times some don't even realize that Intake, Exhaust, even Tune will give Zero if you car is not in good condition wise with upper engine carbon build up, plugs, crap octane fuel, etc., etc., and the inability for the KCVL timing to advance and take optimum advantage of the changes. Allow more air into a motor that has tons of carbon built up on the intake valves and ports is not going to result in nothing but someone saying they don't work for Lexus's. lol! Throw something on, try it out then say it won't work for our XX cars. There is way more I'm going to post about it, because I also hate the misinformation spread.
I haven’t seen a sealed cone filter intake for the 350’s yet, which is why I generalized saying cold air intakes won’t do anything. If you ported the intake manifold, upper and lower, bored our your TB, and ported the heads, you’d expect a lot more.

the factory intake box has an air scoop directing colder air from the front end to the airbox. Installing any of the aftermarket intakes available get rid of this air scoop.

the 2UR is a different story, but we’re not on that side of the forum.
Old 07-30-23, 07:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pittsy
I haven’t seen a sealed cone filter intake for the 350’s yet, which is why I generalized saying cold air intakes won’t do anything. If you ported the intake manifold, upper and lower, bored our your TB, and ported the heads, you’d expect a lot more.

the factory intake box has an air scoop directing colder air from the front end to the airbox. Installing any of the aftermarket intakes available get rid of this air scoop.

the 2UR is a different story, but we’re not on that side of the forum.
Some 2GR intakes do still use the Cool air scoop. This is what I mean about the old outdated thoughts. Here one of a few different sealed set up's for the 3.5 that uses the side factory cool air. There just so much more to explain is why I have problems seeing the info saying. I'll explain more in detail later from experience dyno's and Tuner test.

Pic 1 - 2GR 3.5 350 V6 - Bottom right below the Red cone is the Factory cool air inlet using the Factory set up snorkel. Its made the same size to seal in like the hole in the factory air box.

* (sealed enclose also)
Old 07-30-23, 08:00 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Some 2GR intakes do still use the Cool air scoop. This is what I mean about the old outdated thoughts. Here one of a few different sealed set up's for the 3.5 that uses the side factory cool air. There just so much more to explain is why I have problems seeing the info saying. I'll explain more in detail later from experience dyno's and Tuner test.

Pic 1 - 2GR 3.5 350 V6 - Bottom right below the Red cone is the Factory cool air inlet using the Factory set up snorkel. Its made the same size to seal in like the hole in the factory air box.

* (sealed enclose also)
I see the point you make, and I don’t disagree with you, the AEM is probably the best option out there. I had one on my old IS250. Probably won’t net you much by itself, still.

all I care to get out of this thread here is for the guy who said he’s done all of this testing to post up his concrete objective evidence.
Old 07-30-23, 08:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Is why in my 1st post I said:

Any of the intake mods will work if....... including the pipe and drop in filter, they all gain hp, but again if..... Sayin they don't work for Lexus's is just inaccurate.
Old 08-02-23, 06:16 AM
Nabil3IS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma113
​​​​​​
Thanks for the insightful information. I managed to cut a rectangular hole in my lower intake air box today with my rotary tool. Already noticed increase intake noise above 4.5k RPM. I hope this will be a performance gain.

I've seen a handful of people do this and I was interested in doing it myself. My only concern would be excess moisture or water getting in. I doubt it would but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that or extra insight on my concern?
Old 08-02-23, 07:06 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabil3IS
I've seen a handful of people do this and I was interested in doing it myself. My only concern would be excess moisture or water getting in. I doubt it would but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that or extra insight on my concern?
There's nothing to worry about. You'd have to be in flooded conditions to have water come in the intake box.
Old 08-02-23, 07:36 AM
Nabil3IS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

perfect, thank you! I'll probably get around to doing it today.

Quick Reply: Increase Air Induction / Snorkel Modifications?