IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Steering Issue Finally Resolved - LONG, LONG POST

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 12:09 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
If the issue can be temporarily fixed by messing with the steering wheel, I am skeptical that the entire steering rack is no good. This feels more like a software issue if it can be "tricked" back to normal by the user.

I think it's worth noting, too, that both sunamer and myself have only experienced it on longer highway drives on straight roads. If it were something mechanical, I'd expect it to be noticeable even on shorter trips.
yeah, if it was some form of mechanical binding, I would expect it to be a lot more consistent and frequent.
Old 12-17-19, 03:03 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

If the issue can be temporarily fixed by messing with the steering wheel, I am skeptical that the entire steering rack is no good. This feels more like a software issue if it can be "tricked" back to normal by the user.

I think it's worth noting, too, that both sunamer and myself have only experienced it on longer highway drives on straight roads. If it were something mechanical, I'd expect it to be noticeable even on shorter trips.
Guess I'll jump in here too, 2014 IS 350 AWD, with the same symptoms. Long straight stretch of highway, usually doing 80+ MPH, when highway takes a slight bend, the car doesn't want to turn. Takes more than the normal fingertip pressure to get the steering wheel to budge, definitely a 'stuck in a notch' feeling.
Once 'freed', it doesn't reoccur for awhile. Maybe happens 1-2 times per 2 hour highway drive. After the first occurrence, I find myself giving the wheel a periodic jiggle, just to see if it is still free. Then I forget about it until I find it 'stuck' again.
Often wonder if its a 'heat transfer' thing. The heat from the engine and wheels is transferring to some other component, maybe the steering rack, and causing lubrication to flow out of some area, causing it to 'stick' when movement is attempted. Once it does move, that area again gets lubricated, and so it doesn't stick again, until allowed to be motionless on another long straight stretch.
Symptom doesn't occur in city driving, as more turns occur, keeping that 'thing' lubricated.
Might be interesting to sit with the car in 'P', run the engine at 2-2.5K RPM for 15-20 minutes, and then see if the steering wheel feels 'stuck', just to see if engine heat affects it.
If not, putting the car on a lift, and do the same thing in 'D', although the suspension components are now unweighted, unlike real world driving.
The first time this occurred, was more than a bit unnerving.
I don't recall this happening before I installed the FIGS LCAs, but I also now drive faster since installing them, as fast deceleration on the OEM LCAs was just scary, as the car was squirrelly and wanted to wander all over when braking from 90 to 60, when some idiot pulls out in front of you.
Old 12-18-19, 04:31 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Guess I'll jump in here too, 2014 IS 350 AWD, with the same symptoms. Long straight stretch of highway, usually doing 80+ MPH, when highway takes a slight bend, the car doesn't want to turn. Takes more than the normal fingertip pressure to get the steering wheel to budge, definitely a 'stuck in a notch' feeling.
Once 'freed', it doesn't reoccur for awhile. Maybe happens 1-2 times per 2 hour highway drive. After the first occurrence, I find myself giving the wheel a periodic jiggle, just to see if it is still free. Then I forget about it until I find it 'stuck' again.
Often wonder if its a 'heat transfer' thing. The heat from the engine and wheels is transferring to some other component, maybe the steering rack, and causing lubrication to flow out of some area, causing it to 'stick' when movement is attempted. Once it does move, that area again gets lubricated, and so it doesn't stick again, until allowed to be motionless on another long straight stretch.
Symptom doesn't occur in city driving, as more turns occur, keeping that 'thing' lubricated.
Might be interesting to sit with the car in 'P', run the engine at 2-2.5K RPM for 15-20 minutes, and then see if the steering wheel feels 'stuck', just to see if engine heat affects it.
If not, putting the car on a lift, and do the same thing in 'D', although the suspension components are now unweighted, unlike real world driving.
The first time this occurred, was more than a bit unnerving.
I don't recall this happening before I installed the FIGS LCAs, but I also now drive faster since installing them, as fast deceleration on the OEM LCAs was just scary, as the car was squirrelly and wanted to wander all over when braking from 90 to 60, when some idiot pulls out in front of you.
These might fall to two different issues.
1. Steering locking on certain speeds/timeframe.
2. Weak suspension parts when braking - on my experience, the car steers to the left that I have to hold the steering wheel tight and turn it back straight.

For #1, I guess I never had this issue in the first place (but may have been related to it) for mine only locks out, or should I say becomes stubborn when the LDA activates. Still a concern since the car steers to the right or left on its own. Disabling LDA fixed it for my car.

#2 was eliminated completely by installing USRS.

For those who doesn't have LDA, then it's gotta be something to do with the main topic.

Old 12-18-19, 06:53 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
For those who doesn't have LDA, then it's gotta be something to do with the main topic.
No LDA on my IS.
As far as wander on deceleration, the FIGS cured that (would previously wander both left and right, needed to grip the wheel tightly to keep it straight).
Old 12-18-19, 08:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Yeah I think braking issues are unrelated to the highway-speed steering issue, and could be described as inherent or "normal" unless you have aftermarket/RC F bushings.
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (12-18-19)
Old 12-18-19, 09:08 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah I think braking issues are unrelated to the highway-speed steering issue, and could be described as inherent or "normal" unless you have aftermarket/RC F bushings.
yeah, wandering feel is related to LCA bushings being too soft, which deflect under heavy braking. That initial moment of potentially uneven deflection on left and right LCA bushings will create uneven (left vs right) toe out on each front wheel, which will pull the car to one side. And as deflection increases (until those bushings are set in their deflected position) this uneven constantly changing toe out on each wheel will create that wandering feel and it would make the car pull to either left or right.
Old 06-23-21, 11:25 PM
lexasMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
I also experienced that problem several times and always it was about prolonged highway driving on highways that have very minimal or very smooth long bends. Notchiness is symmetrical and does not depend on the direction of where I was trying to turn the steering wheel to.
I also noticed that it goes away for a while, if I controllably, but aggressively quickly wiggle the steering wheel left to right several times (while driving).

My car does NOT have any LDA installed, yet I still experience this issue.

I have a feeling it is a firmware problem, and not just the bushings being too soft.
Hi, I recently got a Lexus GS 350 and am also running into that issue without lane keep assist, we’re you able to get it fixed by any chance
Old 07-05-21, 09:07 PM
Pocketcity
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a used 2015 GS350 AWD F-Sport in November 2020. I put it on the hwy for the first time back in May 2021 and the steering did the same exact thing. I was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike coming out of a left curve and the steering would not release back to the center. So at 80mph I had to force the steering straight. I thought it was me so I asked my wife to confirm and she felt the same thing. It only happens when going left and around 80mph. Since my car is used and I’m probably out of warranty range at 76K miles. What should be my next move in getting this fixed? It’s clearly a defect but I haven’t found any recalls for it.
Old 07-06-21, 04:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Pocketcity
I recently purchased a used 2015 GS350 AWD F-Sport in November 2020. I put it on the hwy for the first time back in May 2021 and the steering did the same exact thing. I was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike coming out of a left curve and the steering would not release back to the center. So at 80mph I had to force the steering straight. I thought it was me so I asked my wife to confirm and she felt the same thing. It only happens when going left and around 80mph. Since my car is used and I’m probably out of warranty range at 76K miles. What should be my next move in getting this fixed? It’s clearly a defect but I haven’t found any recalls for it.
Have you tried resetting the ECU (i.e., disconnect battery terminals for 30 minutes)? I would try that before going to a shop or looking to have the steering gear rack replaced a la the thread starter.
Pocketcity (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 05:02 PM
Mythreecar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had this issue almost since new with my 2013 GS CCould never get a straight answer from Lexus They csay they cant replicate the issue
Just the other day took a trip with the freeway traffic going 75 80 and the notchy steering appeared. I noticed for tdhe first time that by dropping to 65 the issue disappeared.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mythreecar:
kj07xk (03-19-22), Pocketcity (03-19-22)
Old 03-21-22, 02:34 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, this issue has been happening to me starting this year in 13 GS 450h. It first started when really cold outside. Then the "catching" as ya'll describe above. Most recently I starting getting a scraping sound at steering wheel. I figured it was the clock spring or SRS reel as many people have posted. Finally took it to Lexus and...of course....it needs a new steering rack. $2500 installed. Ouch! I asked if they could rebuild it and of course they can only replace. Still awaiting the part and driving a ES 300h loaner. That car makes me miss the GS big time.
Pocketcity (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 03:29 PM
Pocketcity
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@spineman That’s terrible! That’s a defect with the GS and they know it. Smh
Old 03-22-22, 09:53 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I think I may try to talk to lexus corporate
Pocketcity (03-22-22)
Old 06-06-22, 02:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Welp, I have been in denial about this, but I think my 2021 IS 350 has this issue as well. I'd say about 6-8 times on my over-four-hour drive yesterday, I had this issue happen out at highway speeds, i.e. 65-75 MPH. Specifically, the steering wheel would feel notchy or sticky just off-center to the left. The easiest way for me to replicate the problem was to perform a lane change to the left. I never had the issue when going right. Any ideas? I was about to schedule an alignment and request them to do a zero point calibration but unsure if that would be overkill.
Old 06-22-22, 07:10 PM
davidtth
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like i'm not alone, perhaps it could be just toyota thing, my dad camry does have this catchy thing even on city drive occasionally.

had ordered GS F bush and waiting to install see if it does help.

Quick Reply: Steering Issue Finally Resolved - LONG, LONG POST