IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Has anyone installed "Front Strut Tower Bar" for 3rd Gen IS ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 07:56 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Let me share my experience.

I have one installed in mine and I love it.

I knew before getting one that a front tower strut bar does less for you on cars like ours with double wishbone suspension as compared to macpherson struts, but I got a good deal on mine and figured why not.

Now, I will say I don't notice a ton of difference in the overall handling of the car, maybe a little bit better steering responsiveness (but to be fair I haven't really pushed my car in any twisties or tracks since I've had the bar).... BUT I do notice A LOT of reduced flex from the front of my car, which is the entire point of a tower brace.

My car is lowered and my driveway is semi-steep so I have to cut it pretty hard backing out of my driveway to prevent the front lip scrapping. Prior to the front tower bar I could literally hear the front end flexing and creaking when doing this. After installing the front tower strut bar my front end does not flex anymore, at least not as noticeable. Zero creaks and at one point in the sharp turn I am literally on 3 wheels whereas prior to the bar my front would flex so much that I never noticed one of my tires not making contact. Now it's much more rigid and solid.

To me, in my situation, the front tower bar was worth the install alone just for the reduced flex in my front end when taking inclines at an angle.

As far as I'm concerned the tower bar is doing it's job as the whole point of one is to make your front end more rigid and I can confirm it is doing that. Anyone who claims is does absolutely nothing I am calling that false. if I pushed my car harder on some turns I'd likely notice at least a little bit of difference there too.

Last edited by whoismiked; 01-18-22 at 08:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
arentz07 (01-18-22), swaangin (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 05:37 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the ultra racing one solid piece. Don't know if it made a difference since I installed it with coilover , wider tires, along with subframe bar from ultra racing. But it just give the engine bay a little something to look at.
Old 05-16-22, 05:59 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Let me share my experience.

I have one installed in mine and I love it.

I knew before getting one that a front tower strut bar does less for you on cars like ours with double wishbone suspension as compared to macpherson struts, but I got a good deal on mine and figured why not.

Now, I will say I don't notice a ton of difference in the overall handling of the car, maybe a little bit better steering responsiveness (but to be fair I haven't really pushed my car in any twisties or tracks since I've had the bar).... BUT I do notice A LOT of reduced flex from the front of my car, which is the entire point of a tower brace.

My car is lowered and my driveway is semi-steep so I have to cut it pretty hard backing out of my driveway to prevent the front lip scrapping. Prior to the front tower bar I could literally hear the front end flexing and creaking when doing this. After installing the front tower strut bar my front end does not flex anymore, at least not as noticeable. Zero creaks and at one point in the sharp turn I am literally on 3 wheels whereas prior to the bar my front would flex so much that I never noticed one of my tires not making contact. Now it's much more rigid and solid.

To me, in my situation, the front tower bar was worth the install alone just for the reduced flex in my front end when taking inclines at an angle.

As far as I'm concerned the tower bar is doing it's job as the whole point of one is to make your front end more rigid and I can confirm it is doing that. Anyone who claims is does absolutely nothing I am calling that false. if I pushed my car harder on some turns I'd likely notice at least a little bit of difference there too.
Which one did you purchase?
Old 05-17-22, 10:49 PM
vgrafx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking to get one too for my 2015 IS350 Fsport AWD. I don't mind getting it just for looks
Old 05-20-22, 03:02 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by vgrafx
I'm looking to get one too for my 2015 IS350 Fsport AWD. I don't mind getting it just for looks
I just ordered a megan racing one from eBay for $110
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (05-20-22)
Old 06-25-22, 08:06 PM
Lexussonic
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Solara350
Search all over Ebay and Shop but havn't seen one for Gen3 IS , anyone out there installed it please give me a Link so i can get one for my IS350 Gen3 ? Thanks in advance.

Hello. Cusco makes the strut bar for 2021 Lexus!!!!!!! Part number is 9A3 540 A. It is RC-F but it does fit. View picture. There might be a minimal adjustment and will need two people. One person will have to push down on the center of the bar and the other person to tighten the bolts on the side. The blue clay represents the indentation when the hood is down. As you can see. There is enough clearance. I test the product on the freeway turns and man what a difference!!!! I am so happy they finally made one!!! Get it while there is supply!!!

https://cuscousainc.com/search/produ...8-0245e2f4d7b7

Last edited by Lexussonic; 06-25-22 at 08:17 PM.
KObjective (06-25-22)
Old 01-11-23, 05:06 AM
cuellooo
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
I just ordered a megan racing one from eBay for $110
wondering if you ended up installing the MR front strutbar and if there were any issues? Seller is saying some reported the hood couldn't close after installation. Just want to confirm it will fit before placing the order. Thanks!
Old 01-11-23, 10:20 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 505 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexussonic
Hello. Cusco makes the strut bar for 2021 Lexus!!!!!!! Part number is 9A3 540 A. It is RC-F but it does fit. View picture. There might be a minimal adjustment and will need two people. One person will have to push down on the center of the bar and the other person to tighten the bolts on the side. The blue clay represents the indentation when the hood is down. As you can see. There is enough clearance. I test the product on the freeway turns and m
The strut bar specific for 2IS works also for the 2021+ IS chassis
I had this on my old 2014 IS350 and then moved it to my 2022 Lexus IS500
Cusco part no, 983 540 a

I have since swapped it out for a TOMs Racing strut bar and packed the Cusco bar away.
The following 2 users liked this post by specONE:
LA20671 (01-11-23), robmckey (05-17-23)
Old 01-11-23, 11:14 AM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by cuellooo
wondering if you ended up installing the MR front strutbar and if there were any issues? Seller is saying some reported the hood couldn't close after installation. Just want to confirm it will fit before placing the order. Thanks!
My hood would not close after installing the strut tower bar and I had to return it. One thing I did notice was the people who had the v6, they posted their Megan Racing bars with the red colored Megan Racing logo. I bought 2-3 bars and they all came with the blue Megan racing logo. I tried installing it both sides, the bar had a super tight fit but the hood didn't close no matter which orientation I put it in.
cuellooo (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23, 12:26 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

For those with the 3IS turbos, HPS does carry front strut bars. Those UR, Megan and Cusco that specifically fits the IS350, won't fit the 3IS turbo, I know coz I bought and had to return it.
Old 03-31-23, 06:21 PM
swaangin
Racer

Bringing this back, I just saw an eBay seller selling the Toms Racing one and said NOT for AWD. Is this valid?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185654365488
Old 03-31-23, 07:28 PM
cuellooo
Driver

Bringing this back, I just saw an eBay seller selling the Toms Racing one and said NOT for AWD. Is this valid?

I have a '18 IS300 AWD and just purchased one on eBay from blackhawkjapan. Did a test fit and looks like it fits properly. Once the weather gets better and I take the car out of storage I'll have it installed and get back to you. I believe if it is part number 53680-TAE30 you should be good, did some research online and seems like it should fit 2014+ to 2020
Old 04-01-23, 12:41 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by cuellooo
I have a '18 IS300 AWD and just purchased one on eBay from blackhawkjapan. Did a test fit and looks like it fits properly. Once the weather gets better and I take the car out of storage I'll have it installed and get back to you. I believe if it is part number 53680-TAE30 you should be good, did some research online and seems like it should fit 2014+ to 2020
Would be great if you could let me know. I'll DM you as well.
Old 04-02-23, 09:44 AM
KObjective
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The pictures on his ad look different from the normal 3IS Tom's strut bar. The bends look different and there is no holes for the AVS plugs. I have a Tom's 2IS strut bar on my AWD model. It fits with my aftermarket engine cover (haven't tested the stock cover) but rubs against one of the vacuum hoses on the driver side. You can check pictures on my build thread.

Last edited by KObjective; 04-02-23 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-25-23, 10:33 AM
cuellooo
Driver

Would be great if you could let me know. I'll DM you as well.
@swaangin ​​​​I had the strutbar installed today along with my midpipe and it does fit perfectly. I don't have a pic because I am having it powder coated later, but as long as you order the same part number you will have no issues!
swaangin (05-18-23)

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed "Front Strut Tower Bar" for 3rd Gen IS ?