IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Transmission Fluid change for 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 06:26 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

You have to take into account how the car is used. Low miles doesn't mean as much as one would think. Low miles in a humid environment where the car travels for 13 minutes and is parked means it never reached operating temperature. Thus the fluid never became warm enough to evaporate the moisture in it. So the low miles coupled with environmental conditions can be a huge factor.

The same is true of on long runs where the owner lives in the mountains and makes repeated WOT throttle shifts. Thar heat also breaks down the fluid quicker.

Set distances are for the average use. 10 short stops a day is not average. Neither is pulling a 17% grade every day at WOT. On that note, if you kill a set of brake pads in 12 to 18,xxx mi, change your trans fluid before the 60k mark. No fluid lasts forever.

And drop the old wives tales about fluid changes killing your trans. Thats old fluid technology where the fluid varnished and looked like yellow schalack and smelled of turpentine. Fluids don't do that anymore. Its not 1970!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
GNS (06-15-21), jennypenny (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 02:51 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Thanks! will keep that in mind
You're so welcome Jenny
Old 04-03-18, 02:52 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
You have to take into account how the car is used. Low miles doesn't mean as much as one would think. Low miles in a humid environment where the car travels for 13 minutes and is parked means it never reached operating temperature. Thus the fluid never became warm enough to evaporate the moisture in it. So the low miles coupled with environmental conditions can be a huge factor.

The same is true of on long runs where the owner lives in the mountains and makes repeated WOT throttle shifts. Thar heat also breaks down the fluid quicker.

Set distances are for the average use. 10 short stops a day is not average. Neither is pulling a 17% grade every day at WOT. On that note, if you kill a set of brake pads in 12 to 18,xxx mi, change your trans fluid before the 60k mark. No fluid lasts forever.

And drop the old wives tales about fluid changes killing your trans. Thats old fluid technology where the fluid varnished and looked like yellow schalack and smelled of turpentine. Fluids don't do that anymore. Its not 1970!
Well said , very detail explanation !
Old 01-20-20, 02:20 AM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rL-gT
It's a life time fluid.
this is not directed at you. Im Just quoting you

I think what some people don't realize or understand is that lifetime fluid doesn't necessarily mean " lifetime fluid". The lifetime fluid is only lifetime under (normal) driving conditions. If you were to be doing some Towing, driving hard, racing, your transmission fluid will deteriorate faster. Lifetime fluid is not always what it seems.

even wiki tells a little about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...smission_Fluid

I bought my GS used. I have no clue whether or not a young idiot was driving my car, or it had being driven by an old nice lady. So my best bet was to make sure I did what I knew for my own mind sake. And that was to change the fluid. And I will do it again.

Old 01-20-20, 04:02 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 229 Posts

Even the Germans have changed their position on tranny fluid changes. I’ll quote Don B from the Jaguar Forums site, as it applies to my Jag XK (X150):

When the ZF 6HP26 was introduced in 2000 as the world's first passenger-vehicle 6-speed automatic transmission, ZF, Jaguar and the several other automakers who used it claimed that the transmission was "Sealed for Life" and did not require fluid or filter changes.

Subsequently, ZF revised its position as follows:

"ZF automatic transmissions are filled with specially developed semi-synthetic oils. At very high operating temperatures, the oil ages faster than under normal conditions.

Examples:
* Many trips at high speeds
* Many trips with a trailer in tow
* Sporty driving

Depending on the driving style, ZF therefore recommends a transmission oil change every 80,000 to 120,000 km (50,000 to 75,000 miles), or after 8 years at the latest."

The following users liked this post:
hoartgoart (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 04:25 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

so...i was having vibrations in the transmission...it was trying to upshift and would just shudder at certain speeds. Most posts i read, told me my torque converter is going....that is one expensive thing to go on this car. I came across another post that the guy fixed his by changing his transmission fluid, so i thought why not.

While i was at it, and after reading all the 'don't flush your transmission' (yeah i'm going there) and viewing the videos i made a decision. I was going to flush my transmission because with only 65000km verified (edit), it shouldn't be that bad. Also i was NOT going to go with toyota type iv atf, but rather the penrite full synthetic world standard. So it took it to the guy, and he was like no worries! come back in a few hours and you'll be all done. Now comes the train ride to work, where you doubt yourself.....why did i do this....what was i thinking...what if it ruins the car...oh no, and then you go to youtube and search 'what can go wrong if you flush your transmission'......and Ping....message from the mechanic. He sent me a picture of black, horrible fluid so i asked him i didn't ask for oil change, it was transmission fluid flush. He goes, that is your transmission fluid mate.

Now, this is a 65,000km (edit) car which spent most of its life in hot Singapore followed by now super hot in the summer hong kong (we are having 22 degrees celcius all december and Jan as well this year, but i digress). Lifetime fluid, my black a...fluid!

So i go back after work to pick up my car; the guy has brought it all the way to the train station for me (which was nice of him). I do a test drive, pay him his dues and i'm on my 45 minute drive home. i am going through the city to get onto the highway, and as i approach the highway i get sort of anxious (butterflies in stomach sort)....will this be the last time i drive this car, cause the transmission blows up? I can't notice any shudder as its pretty busy and i'm only going about 30 - 40 kph , the shudder comes at 55 and at 78 (going into 4th and 6th).

The final bend, and there is the on-ramp. I slowly press on the accelerator and the car gets going, 30, 40, 50 and OMG.....this can't be! 60......70.....80....90....100....110...120...130...145....(i'll stop there as anything documented further is jail time)! Where are the gear shifts, i can't feel them....i cannot tell when this car is going up its gears whereas before there was a 'here's 2nd....there's 3rd dude....urggggghhh f f f f f f fourth! I could not believe it, this is the way this car was supposed to shift...there is that sporty nature of the beast.

At this point, i am gaining confidence so i try to paddle down shift and see how it behaves.....No shudder, no lockup. i then slow down to see if it picks the correct gear, lo and behold it does. Now its time for that S+ feeling. But as i get onto the stretch of final highway after the bridge, to my home...guess what. From the side on ramp i see a police van coming to join me on the drive home....so the rest of the 20km was spent following the speed limit on cruise control (anti-climax).

I was dreading that ATF flush, but when i had issues that could be an expensive torque converter i had to try the cheaper method before i saved up 5 or 6 paychecks for that torque convertor. Yes flushing on old cars is bad, as all the videos have told me. Drain and fill is the way to go, but i live in the city with expensive mechanics and a language barrier. I had to make the call on Risk vs. Reward and i pulled the trigger. Did i make the right choice? its now 71000km and its still shifting sweet but i have figured out that there still are times when (not a shudder, but more of a confused machine) the car doesn't know what gear it should be in.

I'm wondering if Lexus should have stuck to that dynamite proof 5-spd that has gone to hell and back, without any issues. I think as technology progresses, its the 'good ol times' mentality that makes me think that. The 8 spd is a better transmission for Greta as it is supposed to give better fuel savings, but they are only realized when the car Knows what gear to be in.

Last edited by RuninRoach; 01-22-20 at 02:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RuninRoach:
Marcvega (05-09-20), ninja250 (11-30-20)
Old 01-20-20, 08:17 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RuninRoach
so...i was having vibrations in the transmission...it was trying to upshift and would just shudder at certain speeds. Most posts i read, told me my torque converter is going....that is one expensive thing to go on this car. I came across another post that the guy fixed his by changing his transmission fluid, so i thought why not.

While i was at it, and after reading all the 'don't flush your transmission' (yeah i'm going there) and viewing the videos i made a decision. I was going to flush my transmission because with only 65000km, it shouldn't be that bad. Also i was NOT going to go with toyota type iv atf, but rather the penrite full synthetic world standard. So it took it to the guy, and he was like no worries! come back in a few hours and you'll be all done. Now comes the train ride to work, where you doubt yourself.....why did i do this....what was i thinking...what if it ruins the car...oh no, and then you go to youtube and search 'what can go wrong if you flush your transmission'......and Ping....message from the mechanic. He sent me a picture of black, horrible fluid so i asked him i didn't ask for oil change, it was transmission fluid flush. He goes, that is your transmission fluid mate.

Now, this is a 650000km car which spent most of its life in hot Singapore followed by now super hot in the summer hong kong (we are having 22 degrees celcius all december and Jan as well this year, but i digress). Lifetime fluid, my black a...fluid!

So i go back after work to pick up my car; the guy has brought it all the way to the train station for me (which was nice of him). I do a test drive, pay him his dues and i'm on my 45 minute drive home. i am going through the city to get onto the highway, and as i approach the highway i get sort of anxious (butterflies in stomach sort)....will this be the last time i drive this car, cause the transmission blows up? I can't notice any shudder as its pretty busy and i'm only going about 30 - 40 kph , the shudder comes at 55 and at 78 (going into 4th and 6th).

The final bend, and there is the on-ramp. I slowly press on the accelerator and the car gets going, 30, 40, 50 and OMG.....this can't be! 60......70.....80....90....100....110...120...130...145....(i'll stop there as anything documented further is jail time)! Where are the gear shifts, i can't feel them....i cannot tell when this car is going up its gears whereas before there was a 'here's 2nd....there's 3rd dude....urggggghhh f f f f f f fourth! I could not believe it, this is the way this car was supposed to shift...there is that sporty nature of the beast.

At this point, i am gaining confidence so i try to paddle down shift and see how it behaves.....No shudder, no lockup. i then slow down to see if it picks the correct gear, lo and behold it does. Now its time for that S+ feeling. But as i get onto the stretch of final highway after the bridge, to my home...guess what. From the side on ramp i see a police van coming to join me on the drive home....so the rest of the 20km was spent following the speed limit on cruise control (anti-climax).

I was dreading that ATF flush, but when i had issues that could be an expensive torque converter i had to try the cheaper method before i saved up 5 or 6 paychecks for that torque convertor. Yes flushing on old cars is bad, as all the videos have told me. Drain and fill is the way to go, but i live in the city with expensive mechanics and a language barrier. I had to make the call on Risk vs. Reward and i pulled the trigger. Did i make the right choice? its now 71000km and its still shifting sweet but i have figured out that there still are times when (not a shudder, but more of a confused machine) the car doesn't know what gear it should be in.

I'm wondering if Lexus should have stuck to that dynamite proof 5-spd that has gone to hell and back, without any issues. I think as technology progresses, its the 'good ol times' mentality that makes me think that. The 8 spd is a better transmission for Greta as it is supposed to give better fuel savings, but they are only realized when the car Knows what gear to be in.
Interesting read. And a 1st I've read about this 8spd with a problem like yours was having.

The 8 spd is as solid as they come I read. And when anyone talks of an 8spd transmission this one is referenced multiple times in my readings. When it came out it was a big deal too, forget why may have actually been the 1st to some degree. I'm no expert, just my experience to this point.

There have been a few of the top reasons to change fluid above, another which you alluded to is extreme weather.

I'm sure it was 65000km (40,000 mi) not 650,000km? You typed both. 65000km is not alot, at all.
Are there Lexus dealers where you're at? I feel like I may want to get that on record with them. There no such thing as lifetime fluid, but I feel like theres no such thing as having your issues at that low mileage either.

Either way happy you've had it resolved that would of stressed me out!

And the trans not always finding the gear. It happens to some degree with alot of us. You may want to reset by disconnecting the battery at least 10 mins so it can relearn habits.

What milage did you buy your car at? Service or lother related history with the car? Would like to know more I believe its very unusual for this trans to have issues like that. Some Ford, dual clutch, or CVT trannies have big issues in the 1st 40k miles but not this one.

Last edited by HOMER350; 01-20-20 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 02:37 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i mean't 65,000 km. The dealer in HK is not so amazing and if i tell them what i did, i would probably prevent them from servicing my vehicle again (yes those types).

I've tried the battery disconnect as the first attempt to fix my issue and didn't work. Second attempt was to get the dealer to do a drain and fill (not that much different to an outside one as i was getting 30% off). This flush was my last resort, i should have added it to the thread.

I bought my car at 51,000 km, mileage verified by singapore dealer (they were happy to oblige when i sent them my Vin and proof of ownership in HK) and by import form from customs.
Old 01-22-20, 08:35 AM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RuninRoach

While i was at it, and after reading all the 'don't flush your transmission' (yeah i'm going there) and viewing the videos i made a decision. I was going to flush my transmission because with only 65000km verified (edit), it shouldn't be that bad. Also i was NOT going to go with toyota type iv atf, but rather the penrite full synthetic world standard. So it took it to the guy, and he was like no worries! come back in a few hours and you'll be all done. Now comes the train ride to work, where you doubt yourself.....why did i do this....what was i thinking...what if it ruins the car...oh no, and then you go to youtube and search 'what can go wrong if you flush your transmission'......and Ping....message from the mechanic. He sent me a picture of black, horrible fluid so i asked him i didn't ask for oil change, it was transmission fluid flush. He goes, that is your transmission fluid mate.

Now, this is a 65,000km (edit) car which spent most of its life in hot Singapore followed by now super hot in the summer hong kong (we are having 22 degrees celcius all december and Jan as well this year, but i digress). Lifetime fluid, my black a...fluid!

this was a good movie, I want to watch it again.
GNS (06-15-21)
Old 05-09-20, 05:08 PM
Marcvega
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did a transmission fluid drain and refill and replaced the filter! BUT!

Hey guys how’s it going! I drive a 2014 Lexus is350 f sport! I performed a transmission fluid drain and refill, and also replaced the transmission filter. I replaced with the correct amount of fluid. However after the replacements, my car started making this whirling noise around 20-30mph, it disappears right after! It shifts and drives fine, no grinding or anything, but I’m worried I might damage the transmission! Any idea what it could be? Please let me know! Thanks guys.
Rhydg1 (05-09-20)
Old 05-10-20, 02:06 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcvega
Hey guys how’s it going! I drive a 2014 Lexus is350 f sport! I performed a transmission fluid drain and refill, and also replaced the transmission filter. I replaced with the correct amount of fluid. However after the replacements, my car started making this whirling noise around 20-30mph, it disappears right after! It shifts and drives fine, no grinding or anything, but I’m worried I might damage the transmission! Any idea what it could be? Please let me know! Thanks guys.
How did you set the transmission fluid level? There is a manual procedure and the easier way of using the Techstream.
If you went with the "put back in just as much that came out" method...then that's not the most accurate way to set the level, and could be the cause of your issue.
I would start with setting the level first and see if the noise goes away.

Was there any issues removing/reinstalling the filter? Did you use an OEM filter?
How was the condition of the filter when you removed it?
Old 11-30-20, 09:48 AM
ninja250
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rL-gT
go ahead... but be prepared to spend $$.

I know in the Audi world when customers wanted to change their Tranny fluid on their Automatics it would cost them almost a $1000 just for the oil alone.
Are you an Audi dealer? Fcp euro, $150 a set of filter and fluid. A very common maintenance item.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Audi-parts/A6/?year=2010&m=20&e=2004&t=9&b=5&d=1018&v=&keywords=transmission%20fluid
Old 06-10-21, 10:52 AM
Driverseat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue with mine when I had a mechanic do the service. I think the issue was it needed more ATF. I am about to go back and pick it up from service. Anyone else have this issue and find out what it was?

Last edited by Driverseat; 06-10-21 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 10:54 AM
Driverseat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
How did you set the transmission fluid level? There is a manual procedure and the easier way of using the Techstream.
If you went with the "put back in just as much that came out" method...then that's not the most accurate way to set the level, and could be the cause of your issue.
I would start with setting the level first and see if the noise goes away.

Was there any issues removing/reinstalling the filter? Did you use an OEM filter?
How was the condition of the filter when you removed it?
Had the same issue with mine when I had a mechanic do the service. I think the issue was it needed more ATF. I am about to go back and pick it up from service. Anyone else have this issue and find out what it was?
Old 06-14-21, 01:55 PM
Eye
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - Here's some lessons learned when performing 4 transmission drain & fills

1) The car has to be on while performing the fluid level setting procedure (big whoops after first change lol)
2) Plug the overfill plug once the stream starts to have air pockets (do not wait until it "trickles")

Notes:
1) seems like these cars are very sensitive to transmission fluid levels, especially with underfilling. you'll know when you have shifting "flares"
2) gaskets and fluid can be bought from toyota for slightly cheaper

Driverseat (06-15-21)

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid change for 3IS