IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Transmission Fluid change for 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-18, 07:44 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid change for 3IS

Anyone changed their transmission fluid for their 3IS?

If yes, when did you change it?
Any difference in terms of gearshifts, if at all?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-18, 11:51 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Haven't changed mine - but here's an interesting exchange one user had with Lexus customer service when they were active (now archived) about the lifetime trans fluid. I have my suspicions about how a fluid can last that long as well (as I kept my last car for over 15 years).
What is your current mileage and age?
Old 03-26-18, 01:46 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

It's a life time fluid.
Old 03-26-18, 02:03 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Anyone changed their transmission fluid for their 3IS?

If yes, when did you change it?
Any difference in terms of gearshifts, if at all?

Thanks!
Are you seeing any issues with gearshifts, or just curious about the transmission fluid?
Old 03-26-18, 05:21 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
Are you seeing any issues with gearshifts, or just curious about the transmission fluid?
Just curious!
Old 03-26-18, 08:02 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
It's a 2014 w 30k miles - so no where close to needing replacement at this point (according to Lexus). I do not see where replacing / inspecting transmission fluid is called for in any service intervals recommended by Lexus (per their maintenance schedules), only inspections for signs of leakage at various time / mileage intervals.
Yes. I've checked my owner's manual. However, I find that 2IS owners have flushed and changed their fluids before with mixed results. So, was wondering if anyone owning a 3IS stuck to factory filled transmission fluids or changed them out at 80k miles
Old 03-27-18, 02:46 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Every 80,000 km here and differential every 40,000 km.
Old 03-27-18, 07:59 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
Every 80,000 km here and differential every 40,000 km.
That's right I have change mine twice.

Right now 180,000 KM

2014 IS350 RWD
Old 03-27-18, 08:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Haha this has been a debate on the BMW forums for a super long time. Life time fluids.

Long story short it's a marketing gimmick to make ones cars seem less like they don't need as much maintenance.

Yes many cars can go long, but wear will start to accelerate as the oil breaks down. All lubricating oils break down.

I have repeated this on BMW forums for a long, long time now. All lubricating fluids need changing, ALL the time. In all cars. No exceptions.

And no that old wives tale you heard of new fluid causing stuff to dislodge breaking your... no.

There's more of an emphasis on changing engine oil due to the violent operating conditions but transmission is a not so distant #2. If you own your Lexus and plan on keeping it long, change the fluid and filter.

For most though, the lease will end before fluid needs changing.
The following 3 users liked this post by E46CT:
CLUM (03-27-18), fife199 (01-13-22), Persocon (10-13-21)
Old 03-27-18, 01:05 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Haha this has been a debate on the BMW forums for a super long time. Life time fluids.

Long story short it's a marketing gimmick to make ones cars seem less like they don't need as much maintenance.

Yes many cars can go long, but wear will start to accelerate as the oil breaks down. All lubricating oils break down.

I have repeated this on BMW forums for a long, long time now. All lubricating fluids need changing, ALL the time. In all cars. No exceptions.

And no that old wives tale you heard of new fluid causing stuff to dislodge breaking your... no.

There's more of an emphasis on changing engine oil due to the violent operating conditions but transmission is a not so distant #2. If you own your Lexus and plan on keeping it long, change the fluid and filter.

For most though, the lease will end before fluid needs changing.
Thank you for speaking up. The idea of "lifetime" fluid is ridiculous. I plan to change my Trans/Diff between 60-80K. That's already giving the fluid the benefit of the doubt considering my change intervals for my Honda are half that.
The following users liked this post:
Persocon (10-13-21)
Old 03-27-18, 04:02 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CLUM
Thank you for speaking up. The idea of "lifetime" fluid is ridiculous. I plan to change my Trans/Diff between 60-80K. That's already giving the fluid the benefit of the doubt considering my change intervals for my Honda are half that.
go ahead... but be prepared to spend $$.

I know in the Audi world when customers wanted to change their Tranny fluid on their Automatics it would cost them almost a $1000 just for the oil alone.
Old 03-27-18, 09:37 PM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For my benz the recommend Trans & Tc fluid change is every 40K miles. That service will run anywhere from $500-$1000 depending which dealer you go to.
Old 03-27-18, 09:42 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rL-gT
go ahead... but be prepared to spend $$.

Should be about $200 at Lexus, give or take. Let's say I'll plan to keep the car up to 250K miles and my change interval is 80K, simple math says i'd only change my fluid 3 times = $600 for the "life" of the car. $600 is so little compared to the cost of a replacement 8 speed auto trans (quick google says it's just about $8K for a new assembly), especially considering the cost is spread out over the life of the car.

A lot of good info here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-change-2.html

This video has a lot of good info in the comments too:

Originally Posted by rL-gT
I know in the Audi world when customers wanted to change their Tranny fluid on their Automatics it would cost them almost a $1000 just for the oil alone.
I bought a Lexus so i wouldn't be raped by Euro engineering!! haha If the dealer told me $1k for trans fluid, i'd firmly turn around and walk out laughing because that's a joke. Euro owners get ripped off all the time because they cars are "so highly engineered" that their customers are too scared to take the cars anywhere but the stealership.

Manufacturers are also always trying to figure out ways to retain customers and keep them from going to independent shops. It's absolutely asinine to think the fluid will last the life of the vehicle (not saying you do). But as others have said, Lexus is just trying to compete with the Euros so they need to start marketing similarly. Every fluid used in a machine will break down--science hasn't invented one that doesn't yet, otherwise everyone would be using it.

Not to mention Euros rarely last past 150K miles (my opinion, no offense to anyone!), so I'm sure "lifetime fluid" has worked out fine for them. Their cars either break down and get sold or get traded in because all of their cars are leases or their owners just can't drive anything past 3 years old. Plus their customers are already used to paying rape prices for any little thing. Toyota/Lexus, which prides itself on long lasting vehicles, will have quite a few angry customers in future years once these cars get older and naive customers find out that their lifetime transmission fluid didn't last 300K miles like the rest of the car did.

Last edited by CLUM; 03-27-18 at 09:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CLUM:
fife199 (01-13-22), jennypenny (03-27-18)
Old 03-28-18, 01:09 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No oil is lifetime. 2IS i remeber changing gear oil and filter at 108,000km and it was black and really bad, after changing it definitly felt gear shifting alot smoother.

Same goes for differential if not changed car doesn't feel good.
The following users liked this post:
fife199 (01-13-22)
Old 03-28-18, 09:01 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had mine replaced at the dealership at 48,000km. I don't believe there's such a thing as lifetime fluid and used to do drain and fills annually in my older Japanese cars. It's cheap insurance to prolong the life of the transmission, and they also put in some sort of transmission conditioner (without telling me, and charged an extra $20 CAD).

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid change for 3IS