IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Just Picked Her Up ! + Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 07:28 PM
Intn97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Picked Her Up ! + Questions

Hey Guys! New to this forum and also Lexus. Previously owned a 2004 BMW 330i, however just purchased a 2018 Ultrasonic Blue Mica x Red Interior is300 F-Sport!! LOVING THE CAR inside and out and the way that it handles, however I had a few questions/concerns about these cars....

1. Picked up the car with 80 miles (was transported from a dealer) and I have to admit after a week of taking it easy, I am now at about 250 miles and just took it for a pretty aggressive drive for the first time, rapid manual mode downshifts and cornering and basically redline. I was wondering about break in period and if I could have possibly done anything to damage the vehicle? Was told these cars are essentially broken in from factory.

2. My transmission from the moment i picked it up seemed a bit jerky during very low speed driving, wondering if this is normal or common? Sometimes manual mode shifts are FAST and sometimes delayed.

3. Does sport mode in the is300 sport tighten steering , or what exactly does it do differently from normal mode.. they seem similar?

4. Do the RSR Down springs cause wear to the shocks/struts and how rough does it make the ride?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by Intn97; 03-27-18 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 07:30 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Intn97

Hey Guys! New to this forum and also Lexus. Previously owned a 2004 BMW 330i, however just purchased a 2018 Ultrasonic Blue Mica x Red Interior is300 F-Sport!! LOVING THE CAR inside and out and the way that it handles, however I had a few questions/concerns about these cars....

2. My transmission from the moment i picked it up seemed a bit jerky during very low speed driving, wondering if this is normal or common? Sometimes manual mode shifts are FAST and sometimes delayed.

!
Congrats! Beautiful car!

Yes, my new 2017 IS300 Fsport (Caviar), after nearly 2000k miles, yes still feels jerky. Yes shifting is fast or delayed. It is as if the car is trying to understand what you want.
I am still exploring the behavior on the highway. I had a strange experience the other day. In the Sport mode, I hit the pedal and it down shifted to third and revved to 5K, but didn't get above 65 mph.
I wasn't using the paddles, I was just exploring the response to punching the pedal. It seems to respond differently during each drive. I get nice smooth acceleration up to 75 mph, but punching it gives
variable results.

Regarding the jerky feel, I keep it in ECO mode during my daily local drive. I like the gearing feel, and perhaps it is less jerky.

Welcome and Enjoy!
Old 03-28-18, 10:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Congrats, you got the fairly rare "Superman" color combo. Enjoy!
Old 03-28-18, 01:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Regarding steering, the difference between normal and sport is small, unless you are for example maneuvering through a parking lot at low speeds. However, sport mode does have ever so slightly heavier steering.

The transmission if kinda jerky to engage first gear at times, such as if you have come nearly to a stop by not quite. I am at 17k miles now, and this still happens. It's nothing I can't live with I guess.

Congrats on the new car and welcome! If I could re-do my purchase, this would definitely be the color combo for me, lol.
Old 03-28-18, 05:00 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 145 Posts

congrats on the IS, love the color tooas for breaking in your car don’t worry about breaking anything with lexus’ reliability. the 6 speed transmission in the IS definitely feels faster some days than others for me too, sometimes the car will feel very sluggish and others very quick off the line
Old 03-28-18, 06:37 PM
stephenmat
Rookie

Welcome! I just bought my IS300 F Sport last month!

1. Picked up the car with 80 miles (was transported from a dealer) and I have to admit after a week of taking it easy, I am now at about 250 miles and just took it for a pretty aggressive drive for the first time, rapid manual mode downshifts and cornering and basically redline. I was wondering about break in period and if I could have possibly done anything to damage the vehicle? Was told these cars are essentially broken in from factory.
No, do not worry about a break in period. I would just let the car warm up before you start driving aggressively.
Yes, I noticed this also some of the shifts are pretty jerky and other times they are smooth. It is just the way the cars are.
3. Does sport mode in the is300 sport tighten steering , or what exactly does it do differently from normal mode.. they seem similar?
​​​​​​​Sport mode tightens the steering and I believe allows more gas into the cylinders producing maximum power.
4. Do the RSR Down springs cause wear to the shocks/struts and how rough does it make the ride?
The ride on stock springs is pretty rough as it is. You really can feel the road. I had RSR downs on my car and the ride was significantly rougher. Thats the thing when you swap the springs. I went back to stock because the front was too low for me daily driving. I am going to bag mine like I have done cars in the past. When you hit a pothole with the down springs it sounds pretty violent. You will notice your wheel you can feel a slight like vibrate on certain roads.

Overall you are going to love the car. I came from a 2013 BMW 328i X-Drive that I totaled and I am in love with my Lexus!
Old 03-28-18, 06:46 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

^oh yeah RSR down springs makes the ride a lot bouncier from my experience, but i enjoy it because it gives the car the sports car kinda feel all the time. except some days i really do enjoy driving my moms RX when i need the smoothness lol
Old 03-28-18, 06:47 PM
stephenmat
Rookie

Originally Posted by jmull3r
^oh yeah RSR down springs makes the ride a lot bouncier from my experience, but i enjoy it because it gives the car the sports car kinda feel all the time. except some days i really do enjoy driving my moms RX when i need the smoothness lol
Unfortunately we have luxury sports cars and they aren't exactly built for straight smoothness. Love the cars though.
Old 03-30-18, 05:53 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by stephenmat
Unfortunately we have luxury sports cars and they aren't exactly built for straight smoothness. Love the cars though.
yeah same i like the bounciness most of the time lol
Old 03-30-18, 11:28 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats and welcome to ClubLexus. We are happy to have another member to our family.

Are you looking to mod your Lexus in the near future?
Old 03-31-18, 06:55 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Intn97

thanks in advance!
I will answer your 4th question deeply ! and what causes the car (all car not just Lexus) suspension components parts to premature wears ?
1, Tires ! Tire inner wear (camber Wear) (you can get a set of Camber kit to set it back to OEM specs)
2, Shocks ! shocks bottom out too much thus makes shock's life shorter (you can get Performance shocks to match out though, or go Coilovers and AIR-Suspension, if you ask any old man car MOD from the 90s, they'll all suggest you to go Coil or Air)
3, Bushing ! LCA and Strut mount (you can upgrade to LCA bushing to RR-Racing performance one to handle to pressure)
4, Driveshaft Boots ! because you'll be more than an INCH lower than OEM specs, when you go over bump or sharp turn you stretch the boots more (there a Company make FAST BOOTS that you replace without taking out the sharp, i forgot the name i saw somewhere)
5,Wheel Bearings ! Like Bushing , you put too much pressure it shorter the wheel bearing.
I am not including this in to the list because its a hit or a miss ! some experience Clunky noise, rubbing, shaking at Stop in gear D with AWD IS. a friend of mine lowered his on H&R springs damn it smooth no noise and firm better than stocks, i don't know why.

The advantage of Lower your car !
1, Better handling, at high speed
2, Better turning no BODY-ROLL
3, better aerodynamics at high speed
better TRACTION in any ways ! (for me, personally i fell better traction in snows and waters, the reason why i never had winter tires for my old lowered cars in Toronto Canada) off-topic "this is my personally reference plz don't come and ARGUE, Toronto Members can come and see my 2inches lowered Solara when i drive it in snow"
5, Looks Nice and aggressive (ofcourse everyone wants, me too ! i can't deny that)

If you're looking for handling that really effective, 1 inch lowered + Strut tower bar + rear sway bar + Performance RR-racing Lower control arm bushing = you'll feel the real different in suspension wise
If you're looking for more POWER , RR-racing has a SUPERCHARGER for 3rd Gen Lexus IS
And Welcome to Club Lexus and Lexus's family bro !
Old 04-09-18, 05:31 PM
Avi8orco
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on leaving it in ECO for normal cruising around driving. That makes a noticeable difference in the throttle response and shifts. Makes it quite smoother at least I think. Full abilities is only one click on the dial when you need it
Old 04-12-18, 07:16 AM
DizzyV6P
Driver School Candidate

Sport S+ mode = Makes you gas go down a LOT faster due to the faster shift pattern of the transmission and the adaptive variable suspension.
But it does have a noticeable increase in your dopamine levels.

Enjoy your new ride! I just picked up a used 2016 IS350 F-Sport a month ago (had only 11k miles) and it brings a big smile to my face everytime I drive it.
Old 04-12-18, 09:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Hello fellow former E46 owner. Saying the car handles good is a testament to the IS because the E46 3 Series is the benchmark of the world in terms of sports sedan handling. It is THE definition of handling.

As for harming your car by redlining it, hard to say. It is nice you had some mileage on it when you got it so hopefully everything had a chance to seat. Factories do typically do a quick run-in on a machine but not totally sure about Lexus. Just drive it and enjoy it. It has a warranty.

As far as springs, anything over an inch will likely cause accelerated wear to your dampers. If you want to go low like the RSR downs, I'd go for the optional Lexus Bilstein sport dampers---probably tougher. Or some other aftermarket solution. Or you can just roll the dice and risk paying the labor twice.

For me I went with Tein H Tech (equivalent to half down or genuine Lexus Blue sport springs) and am pretty happy.
Old 04-12-18, 11:08 AM
pret
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
congrats on the IS, love the color tooas for breaking in your car don’t worry about breaking anything with lexus’ reliability. the 6 speed transmission in the IS definitely feels faster some days than others for me too, sometimes the car will feel very sluggish and others very quick off the line
if it is the same transmission as the 2is 350, I have felt the same. But that 1st gear tho!!

Quick Reply: Just Picked Her Up ! + Questions