IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Brake Replacement Time! A few Quick Qs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 08:23 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Rear Brake Replacement Time! A few Quick Qs

Hi everyone, it's time for new rear brake pads on my IS350 Luxury, and I intend to replace the disks too. I see that these cars have the brake shoe system for the e-brake, so my questions are, should I service the brake shoes too, or is a blast of brake cleaner in that area enough when putting the new rotors back on? If so, is there a video specific to our 3IS on how to take apart the brake shoes?

Also, do you guys know if the Lexus stealership services the brake shoes (i.e. clean and relube friction points, and adjust parking brake) when they do rear brakes or sell one of their expensive "maintenance services?'

Thanks very much in advance.
Old 03-28-18, 11:54 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have not been driving with the parking break on you won’t need to change the parking break shoes. They don’t really wear down as they are just apply pressure to hold the car in place not friction to slow it down.
Old 03-29-18, 12:46 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
Hi everyone, it's time for new rear brake pads on my IS350 Luxury, and I intend to replace the disks too. I see that these cars have the brake shoe system for the e-brake, so my questions are, should I service the brake shoes too, or is a blast of brake cleaner in that area enough when putting the new rotors back on? If so, is there a video specific to our 3IS on how to take apart the brake shoes?

Also, do you guys know if the Lexus stealership services the brake shoes (i.e. clean and relube friction points, and adjust parking brake) when they do rear brakes or sell one of their expensive "maintenance services?'

Thanks very much in advance.
Just curious, how many miles did the rear pads last you? Also remember to clean/lube the parking brake even if you are not replacing the shoes.
Old 03-30-18, 07:54 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Hi, I have just over 37,000 miles, and the pads have about 20% life left, so I'd say with normal driving and yearly servicing, the rear pads could probably last at least 40-45K, which seems decent compared to the short lifespan of the front brake pads! (Ah well, you gotta pay to play)
Old 03-30-18, 07:56 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

How would I go about cleaning and lubing the parking brake? I've never owned a car with brake shoe ebrake. I have adjusted parking brakes before that that tab/star wheel set up, but never had to lube anything unless I was changing brake shoes and had to put some anti seize on some friction points.