Brake Pads/Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 09:46 PM
as90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads/Rotors

Hi all,
Our '17 IS 200T went in for an alignment today at the Lexus dealer and they did a multipoint inspection that indicated that the brake pads/rotors needed to be changed. I was a bit shocked as the car has only 18k miles on it. I went to the Toyota dealer locally and told them. They said more than likely it's just the brake pads and they can just refinish the rotors. I waited for 2.5 hours as they worked on it then they test drove it, brake light came on, and they said rotors needed to be replaced.

Is this typical of this vehicle? We had a 2012 IS250 and an ES350 prior to this, that we drove way more and never had to have the brake pads changed. I'm really surprised.

I'm also wondering if I should trust the Toyota dealer to do this job or to have a Lexus dealer do it. The vehicle is currently at the Toyota lot right now, awaiting rotors in the AM. I told them I need the night to think before forking out extra $$$.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-18, 10:35 PM
as90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
See here for same discussion on RC.

Is your car an f sport? What were the pad and rotor measurements? As I posted in the RC thread, I'd get a second dealer to assess the pads and rotors to make sure they come up with similar measurements - just to verify wear.
It's not an F sport. I don't have the measurements on me, I left them in the car, will post them when I get it back. This has been such a timesinker for me this week and I'm exhausted.
Old 04-03-18, 09:53 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,165 Likes on 1,627 Posts

F Sport has tough guy go fast pads that scrub the rotors hard due to high friction material. 10-12k is common.

Non F-Sport should have blue back low friction pads that should theoretically last longer. I'm guessing at 18k, you may be close to the end of its service life.

Simply look for yourself by sticking a flash light in the wheel and look at the pads using your eyes. there's a groove down the middle. is the groove visible? You should still be good. Is the groove tiny (1-2mm) you're nearing the end of the pad life.

Note the groove down the middle (these are Lexus Pro Blue Back pads) - Low Friction

Old 04-03-18, 11:27 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Some non F-Sports like mine have the same F-Sport brakes, so the lifespan of them are short unfort.

Weird that a 'brake light' came on. That sounds very shady. The only time the brake dash light comes on is if you're low on fluid, if there's air in the system or if the parking brake is on.
Old 04-03-18, 12:17 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Interesting... Did you put the f sport pads on, or did your non f sport came with the f sport pads?
There is only one F-Sport brake set-up, which means F-Sport and non F-Sport Lexus IS models will use the same set of pads.
Old 04-03-18, 02:14 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

As OP is in USA (CA), his brakes are USA spec.

But I certainly didn't know Canadian spec cars all have the same brake pads (f sport and non f sport)? I can't speak to Canadian spec, but for USA spec cars, the f sport cars get a different brake pad (more aggressive, higher-friction pad compound), same rotor and caliper (except for 250s) but different pad.
Hmmm, wait. The pads I got are a diff part number from the blue ones above. The ones I installed were 04465-30510. I didn't get a choice when I asked for the pad kit, but then again, you guys in the USA have much more options. We're a nobody market to most luxury OEMs because our spending power isn't quite as high as Americans.
Old 04-03-18, 02:17 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

when I purchased my car used with 21k on it, the brake pads were changed. I believe 20k is their life. 350 f sport model.
btw, there's no reason to buy the toyota pads when ADVICS AD1118 are the EXACT same pads. Toyota rebrands Advics pads. the stock brake calipers are Advics. This is words straight from a toyota tech mechanic.

China NBK make the pads for toyota too. see the marking on the pads above.

Last edited by 350phi; 04-03-18 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-03-18, 06:05 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The 04465-30510 are non f sport pads, 04465-30500 are f sport pads.
Then what are those blue pads above?
Old 04-03-18, 10:11 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Posted by another member, but going off the part number in the picture, 04465-30450 is not noted as f sport by LexusPartsNow, so non f sport pad per that site.

What's interesting though, is according to LexusPartsNow 04465-30450 is a fit for the 2nd gen IS, but not a fit for the 3rd gen IS (04465-30450), listing on ebay directly refutes that, listing the 04465-30450 as fitting the 3rd gen (and lists them as f sport). Somewhat confusing...
It's all weird, I wish someone had the answer from the dealer. The Fsport pads are made by textar.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads/Rotors