IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So this happened this morning on my way to work...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 05:41 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So this happened this morning on my way to work...

i hit a pot hole on the expressway on my way to work and as soon as that happened i noticed the tire pressure gauge lit up amber orange and the tire pressure on my right front passenger side tire slowly rapidly going down from 36 all the way down to 9 so i pulled off the expressway and quickly changed my tire to a spare. Now, i havent had a flat tire in years so what do i do next? Do i bring the damaged tire to a tire shop and have them fix it for me? I have another daily driver so im thinking i can drop off the tire at the shop and have them fix it and get it when its done and then install it back on my IS in the comfort of my own house on my driveway. Need the most cost effective and time effective method. Thanks. Also, now that my car has on the spare donut, the tire press gauge is blank for all tires and is not reading any of the pressure. Is this normal? I thought it makes sense for that one spare tire not being able to read the tire pressure on the gauge but not all of the tires.
Old 04-10-18, 06:34 AM
Jason3is
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevelifts
i hit a pot hole on the expressway on my way to work and as soon as that happened i noticed the tire pressure gauge lit up amber orange and the tire pressure on my right front passenger side tire slowly rapidly going down from 36 all the way down to 9 so i pulled off the expressway and quickly changed my tire to a spare. Now, i havent had a flat tire in years so what do i do next? Do i bring the damaged tire to a tire shop and have them fix it for me? I have another daily driver so im thinking i can drop off the tire at the shop and have them fix it and get it when its done and then install it back on my IS in the comfort of my own house on my driveway. Need the most cost effective and time effective method. Thanks. Also, now that my car has on the spare donut, the tire press gauge is blank for all tires and is not reading any of the pressure. Is this normal? I thought it makes sense for that one spare tire not being able to read the tire pressure on the gauge but not all of the tires.
Well go to the tire shop and have them check the tire if it's fixable and hopefully you didn't get a hole on the side wall if you did then you'll have to replace the whole tire. I hit a pot hole in Ny like a couple months ago and got a hole in the side wall and had to replace the tire after a week i bought them. And as of the tire pressure not reading I'm pretty sure that's normal same thing happened to me. Goodluck!
Old 04-10-18, 07:16 AM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Like Jason said, it might be fixable, but the tire shop would need to inspect it first.

As far as cost-effectiveness goes, most shops won't charge you extra to reinstall the wheel after repair. Plus, you can ask them to check all of your pressures to verify your TPMS functionality before hitting the road again. You'd save that wheel installation time, but unless you're comfortable driving on a spare for a bit, you'd be waiting at the store.
Old 04-10-18, 08:34 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.

i remember i bought brand new michelin pilot sports tires for all four tires about a year and a half ago and i purchased the road hazard warranty so that means if its repairable then it would be free but if it needs to be replaced then I would pay half of the price of the tire at current retail price.
Old 04-10-18, 02:02 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

A little off topic, but regarding my 2017 IS300 Fsport, the salesman told me it came with a full spare, not a donut.
I haven't looked.
Old 04-10-18, 04:57 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I don't think a full-size spare would fit in the spare tire well. It's pretty shallow.
Old 04-10-18, 06:35 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelifts
Also have them check to make sure the wheel isn't bent or cracked. Had that happen to me on a Maxima I had years ago. Ended up buying new wheels.