IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Remove Door Trim Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 10:09 AM
breakbeat2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remove Door Trim Plastic

Does anyone know if the entire door panel has to be removed to take off the portion circled below? I know that the window control surrounding pops up, but it appears there are screws inside (hard to get to) holding the other plastic piece. I want to wrap these pieces, but it looks like they're a pita to get out. Thoughts?
Old 04-25-18, 10:16 AM
breakbeat2
Driver School Candidate

I've seen 1 other user where those parts are wrapped. I haven't heard from him how he did it, but here are the pics for reference.

Old 04-25-18, 11:13 AM
Fingers007
Rookie

you have to remove the door panel. there's a video on youtube that shows how to do it.
Old 04-25-18, 11:28 AM
breakbeat2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fingers007
you have to remove the door panel. there's a video on youtube that shows how to do it.
Thanks fingers, trying to figure out how to access the screws from the inside part of the door. Even with the panel off, it doesn't look like here's "easy" access.
Old 04-26-18, 04:50 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

This is not a fun task! however it's possible.

Take the door panel off and bring it in the garage or house, and start removing screws from the back side. There are a lot of them. I removed mine and had them hydro dipped.

Take your time, some parts clip in, some parts need to be pushed out the front side after 1 or 2 it get's easier. My suggestion would be to take photos of the screws when removing them. I think they are all the same size and type but when I reassembled I ended up with 2 extra screws from 2 separate doors. Could not figure out where they went. Everything has been great so far.

I believe at some point I saw someone made an illustrations showing where most of the screws were located. I'll look around for it.

It probably took me 2 hours to remove all of the paneling and then I actually put the door panels back in the car with these parts missing. Hydro dip is not the quickest process and I wanted to drive the car. Probably took me 3 hours to reassemble after the dip was complete.
The following users liked this post:
breakbeat2 (04-26-18)
Old 04-26-18, 06:50 AM
breakbeat2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ciggy
This is not a fun task! however it's possible.

Take the door panel off and bring it in the garage or house, and start removing screws from the back side. There are a lot of them. I removed mine and had them hydro dipped.

Take your time, some parts clip in, some parts need to be pushed out the front side after 1 or 2 it get's easier. My suggestion would be to take photos of the screws when removing them. I think they are all the same size and type but when I reassembled I ended up with 2 extra screws from 2 separate doors. Could not figure out where they went. Everything has been great so far.

I believe at some point I saw someone made an illustrations showing where most of the screws were located. I'll look around for it.

It probably took me 2 hours to remove all of the paneling and then I actually put the door panels back in the car with these parts missing. Hydro dip is not the quickest process and I wanted to drive the car. Probably took me 3 hours to reassemble after the dip was complete.
Thank you Ciggy, appreciate the confirmation!
Old 04-27-18, 08:34 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

That would be cool to wrap those pieces w/ leather. Might not fit well. that plastic looks so cheap. especially by the gear shifter. not sure why lexus chose that cheap plastic.
Old 04-27-18, 08:41 AM
breakbeat2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
That would be cool to wrap those pieces w/ leather. Might not fit well. that plastic looks so cheap. especially by the gear shifter. not sure why lexus chose that cheap plastic.
Yeah, they are cheap. The ones by the shifter are easy to remove. The door ones will be a pain.
Old 04-27-18, 08:53 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

The problem I've caused is that the hydro dip, plus clear coat made the pieces a tad bit thicker and a little bit more rigid. So on some songs the piece will vibrate a bit. I'm very sensitive to these noises so I've added some felt between the window switch piece and the door trim but I haven't solved the high pitch vibration yet...

I'm thinking if you do vinyl, or leather. You'd actually be making the door quieter which would be fantastic. If your someone who likes a quiet car you could add dynamat in the doors while you've got the panels off and really sound deaden the cabin.

I've got some work to do in the next couple weeks and then ill be doing some official photo shoots of my interior and exterior so you guys can get a good look at all the work i've done.

Try your best to count and remember where each screw belongs at the end of my project I had missed a screw from 2 different doors. Couldn't find where they belonged after everything was assembled so just through them in a baggy in the basement in case I ever disassemble the doors again. For now. Everything is gooooood.

The work really isn't difficult. Just take your time it's easy to figure out which screw is keeping you from removing the pieces.
Old 04-27-18, 11:09 AM
breakbeat2
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ciggy
The problem I've caused is that the hydro dip, plus clear coat made the pieces a tad bit thicker and a little bit more rigid. So on some songs the piece will vibrate a bit. I'm very sensitive to these noises so I've added some felt between the window switch piece and the door trim but I haven't solved the high pitch vibration yet...

I'm thinking if you do vinyl, or leather. You'd actually be making the door quieter which would be fantastic. If your someone who likes a quiet car you could add dynamat in the doors while you've got the panels off and really sound deaden the cabin.

I've got some work to do in the next couple weeks and then ill be doing some official photo shoots of my interior and exterior so you guys can get a good look at all the work i've done.

Try your best to count and remember where each screw belongs at the end of my project I had missed a screw from 2 different doors. Couldn't find where they belonged after everything was assembled so just through them in a baggy in the basement in case I ever disassemble the doors again. For now. Everything is gooooood.

The work really isn't difficult. Just take your time it's easy to figure out which screw is keeping you from removing the pieces.
I'll remember to take pictures of the screws before i take them off. I managed to take apart my center console up to the digital clock/vents, wasn't all that difficult to do.

I'll BOLO for your pictures