Won't switch out of Normal from Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 07:03 AM
KirstenS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't switch out of Normal from Sport Mode

Hi!
I took my IS200t in for an oil change at the dealership yesterday and have since noticed that when driving in Normal mode, the exhaust is loud upon acceleration like it is in Sport mode. I tried driving in Eco mode and it sounds the way I remember Normal sounding so I think there's an issue with it not engaging into Normal mode when selected. Has anyone had this problem or know a fix besides taking it back to the dealership? I'm about an hour and a half away from the closest one.

Thanks!

Last edited by KirstenS; 04-27-18 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-27-18, 07:11 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by KirstenS
Hi!
I took my car for an oil change at the dealership yesterday and have since noticed that when driving in Normal mode, the exhaust is loud upon acceleration like it is in Sport mode. I tried driving in Eco mode and it sounds the way I remember Normal sounding so I think there's an issue with it not engaging into Normal mode when selected. Has anyone had this problem or know a fix besides taking it back to the dealership? I'm about an hour and a half away from the closest.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

If the cluster speedo doesn't have the white surround lit up, and you don't see the Sport mode indicated on the cluster, then you're not in Sport mode.
If the vehicle seems louder, I would suggest to check to see if the oil filler cap has been installed. The engine will sound louder if the filler cap is left off.
Old 04-27-18, 07:39 AM
KirstenS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum!

If the cluster speedo doesn't have the white surround lit up, and you don't see the Sport mode indicated on the cluster, then you're not in Sport mode.
If the vehicle seems louder, I would suggest to check to see if the oil filler cap has been installed. The engine will sound louder if the filler cap is left off.

Thanks! I checked it and it's on tight. The oil looks like it may have been slightly overfilled and maybe it caused a blown head gasket? The sound is very heavy on exhaust and the exhaust pipes are clear.
Old 04-27-18, 07:42 AM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks! I checked it and it's on tight. The oil looks like it may have been slightly overfilled and maybe it caused a blown head gasket? The sound is very heavy on exhaust and the exhaust pipes are clear.
I don’t know about blown head gasket but the driving modes don’t affect the loudness of the exhaust because there are no valves in the exhaust. The only difference is normal and sport mode will hold a gear longer than eco and cause the rpm to go up higher before shifting which is why you might think its louder. It could also be something else but im not sure
Old 04-27-18, 07:45 AM
KirstenS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Miintt

I don’t know about blown head gasket but the driving modes don’t affect the loudness of the exhaust because there are no valves in the exhaust. The only difference is normal and sport mode will hold a gear longer than eco and cause the rpm to go up higher before shifting which is why you might think its louder. It could also be something else but im not sure

Interesting because Eco is very quiet and Normal and Sport are louder, low and heavy. My coworker rode with me and there is an obvious difference is sound on acceleration and he said it sounds like his F150. It's noticeably lower and louder. This is the second F Sport I've leased and the noise it's making is louder and deeper than either ever sounded on Sport Mode. I'm stumped.
Old 04-27-18, 07:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The oil being overfilled slightly won't cause the head gasket to blow, thankfully. Maybe you can indicate how much is slightly? Pic of the dipstick?
Being the turbo model of the IS, this may be something unique to that model. Hopefully other 200t owners will chime in.
Old 04-27-18, 07:55 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Check to see if there is a vacuum leak between the air intake and the throttle body. It may cause it to sound loud.
Old 04-27-18, 07:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,636 Posts

As said, sports mode simply remaps the steering box, throttle and transmission behavior (and the suspension thingy if you have it). The exhaust doesn't know any differently except, as said, your revs might be higher. If there is something louder with your exhaust, it wouldn't be because of sport mode, but the result of higher revs/engine behavior due to the trans holding a gear longer.

In other words, don't look at any modes, but look at your exhaust if you feel it is abnormally louder. Maybe you hit something or it's leaking.

Also check that the airbox is shut/sealed tight and properly. any leaks and you'll get a low noise.
Old 04-27-18, 08:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^I suspect the tech checked and/or replaced your air filter and didn't seal/shut the box properly.
Old 04-27-18, 08:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Doesn't the 200t have the sound pumped in through the speakers? Did they turn the volume of that up?
Old 04-27-18, 08:10 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

The Adaptive Variable Suspension "AVS" is only fitted to the IS350 F-Sports, 3.5L V6 311 HP AWD or RWD

NOT the IS200t (now IS300 RWD for 2018), 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo 241 HP RWD only

NOR the IS300 (now the IS300 AWD for 2018), 3.5L (yes) V6 260 HP AWD only
Old 04-27-18, 08:19 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

AFAIK only the 350 f sport has the active sound thing but i don't think its speakers but rather plastic plumbing.

i dont think the 200t has anything...

would be surprised
Old 04-27-18, 08:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
AFAIK only the 350 f sport has the active sound thing but i don't think its speakers but rather plastic plumbing.

i dont think the 200t has anything...

would be surprised
Ah thanks. I figured it would be like the RC200t and the NX200t that have a sound control/volume **** for synthetic engine sound pumped in through the speakers. Perhaps not on the IS.
Old 04-27-18, 08:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^interesting. will have to look that up. At least my 16 doesn't have it.
Old 04-27-18, 09:11 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,808 Likes on 1,931 Posts

A good way to check if the drive mode is in fact (somehow) causing the issue would be to accelerate somewhat aggressively in Eco Mode and see if it's still loud then. Have you tried that?

I doubt that the mode has any bearing on the exhaust/engine sound, but just trying to help you eliminate some possibilities.

Quick Reply: Won't switch out of Normal from Sport Mode