IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Service at 41K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 10:54 AM
babiibryan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service at 41K miles?

My 3IS 250 just hits 41,000 miles. The service light on said "Schedule Maintenance is required". The dealership said it cost $329.99 for the service at 41K miles, or I could just do the synthetic oil change for $99.

Is it important that we have to the 41000 service cost $329.99 as they say? What services included in the 41K? What did you guys do at 41K? Just oil change or full service? Pls give me your advice.

Thanks
Old 04-27-18, 02:21 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Take a look at your owner's manual. It has a list of all the services that should be done at each given interval.
Old 04-27-18, 02:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Or visit http://www.lexus.com/maintenance and follow the "Maintenance Schedule" link.
Old 04-27-18, 03:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,652 Posts

So basically oil every 10k and replace brake fluid every 30k. (according to lexus)

all the other stuff is basically something a child can do. use eyeballs to look at brakes. use eyeballs to look at wiper fluid. check floormats. yawn.

personally i'd also add replace transmission and diff fluids/filters at around 36-40k.

i'd also add drain and recharge a/c system every 3 years (if you are keeping your car long term)

i'd drain and refill coolant at regular intervals too. maybe every 36k/3 years.

replace belts drive/ac belts every 36k (inspect and replace earlier if necessary though)

Lexus wants to give the perception of low maintenance so naturally they'll skip some key maintenance items. BMW does this too. "lifetime fluids." BS.
Old 04-30-18, 08:46 AM
babiibryan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Take a look at your owner's manual. It has a list of all the services that should be done at each given interval.
Originally Posted by arentz07
Or visit http://www.lexus.com/maintenance and follow the "Maintenance Schedule" link.
Originally Posted by E46CT
So basically oil every 10k and replace brake fluid every 30k. (according to lexus)

all the other stuff is basically something a child can do. use eyeballs to look at brakes. use eyeballs to look at wiper fluid. check floormats. yawn.

personally i'd also add replace transmission and diff fluids/filters at around 36-40k.

i'd also add drain and recharge a/c system every 3 years (if you are keeping your car long term)

replace belts drive/ac belts every 36k (inspect and replace earlier if necessary though)

Lexus wants to give the perception of low maintenance so naturally they'll skip some key maintenance items. BMW does this too. "lifetime fluids." BS.
Thanks guys. Just check it at the Lexus website. At 40K miles, these are what they do
  • Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat (I can do by myself)
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires (I can do by myself)
  • Inspect Wiper Blades (I can do by myself)
  • Inspect /Adjust All Fluid Levels (I can do by myself)
  • Replace Engine Oil With 0W-20 Oil, And Oil Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped) (I can do by myself)
  • Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors (I can do by myself)
I think I just need to do the oil change service costs $99, the other things cost extra $229 are DIY basically.
Old 04-30-18, 09:25 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Do you have any technique to find out how much brake pads left without taking off the wheels? I haven't changed my brakes for 40k miles not sure if it needs to be changed without going to the dealer. Some people have already changed them out at 25k miles.
Old 04-30-18, 08:58 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

@babiiryan Double check if you actually need to do a tire rotation. If your wheels are staggered, you wont necessarily need to.
Old 05-01-18, 08:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Do you have any technique to find out how much brake pads left without taking off the wheels? I haven't changed my brakes for 40k miles not sure if it needs to be changed without going to the dealer. Some people have already changed them out at 25k miles.
Best to remove the wheel and peer into the brake window (if you have the big F sport brakes) but you can also get in there with a flashlight w/ the wheel on and kind of see the pad life. There is a line down the middle of the pad.. if you can't see that line or it's close to it, the pads are getting low. Or if the metal protrusion on the pad is rubbing on the rotor causing a noise. 40k is good though.

my pads were replaced at 11k =)
Old 05-01-18, 09:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Best to remove the wheel and peer into the brake window (if you have the big F sport brakes) but you can also get in there with a flashlight w/ the wheel on and kind of see the pad life. There is a line down the middle of the pad.. if you can't see that line or it's close to it, the pads are getting low. Or if the metal protrusion on the pad is rubbing on the rotor causing a noise. 40k is good though.

my pads were replaced at 11k =)
My pads have been changed 3 times already. They only last 15k for me.
Old 05-01-18, 09:22 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

How are you guys going through pads so quickly? I changed my pads around 3k miles to change out to low dust version from F-sport and have been riding on same pads since. I'm now at 45k miles. I do hear squeak in cold morning but nothing else.
Old 05-01-18, 09:45 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dojoman
How are you guys going through pads so quickly? I changed my pads around 3k miles to change out to low dust version from F-sport and have been riding on same pads since. I'm now at 45k miles. I do hear squeak in cold morning but nothing else.
Comparing apples to oranges. Ceramics in general last much longer. On my 2nd vehicle, I changed out the regular metallic pads for ceramics at 155,000 miles, and now at 195,000 miles they still have like 8/10 life left. Metallic (OEM) pads have stronger initial brake bite and its personally what I prefer for every day driving. You pay in brake pad life for what you get in braking power for metallic pads. Ultimately, choice of brake pad depends on what application you are seeking and each individual's driving style. I've had several instances where it hadnt even been 2 minutes since leaving my home that I had to panic brake (ceramics take some time to heat up). Knowing how my 2nd vehicle feels, I wouldn't want that in my IS. Definitely fun and interesting comparing the braking characteristics...

Sidenote: Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 keeps the brake pad dust to near ZERO levels for at least the body panels from what I am currently experiencing. Dont mind the rims being dusted though.

As for the low life of the OEM pads for our cars, keep in mind our cars are HEAVY. 3593 curb weight for the RWD is350 model + 150lb driver, you're already at 3743 lbs. Add 2 passengers and youll be at ~ 4000 lbs. Not including luggage and what not. Takes a lot to bring a heavy vehicle to a stop especially in stop and go traffic and city driving.

Last edited by RageRacerM; 05-01-18 at 09:52 AM.