IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 Lexus high RPM when idling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 02:20 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,825 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Have you tried to drive a car that just sat in -45 degree Celsius weather without warming it up?
im in Canada and it gets that cold I’m winter. It would not even be possible to drive away, my car routinely has multiple inches of snow and ice on it, instrument controls partially frozen and barely work. Transmission shifts very hard, car accelerates like a snail until it warms up a bit.
Also try pulling on the highway and merging with cars doing 120-130km/h when ur car is cold. Now I’m in one of the most extreme climates in the world, someone living in Virginia or somewhere where there definition of “cold” is still 30 degrees warmer than where I’m from does not need to warm their car up like me.

That being said even on -40 Celsius days I only let it warm up about 3-5 min before taking off. I have to. I didn’t buy a 306 hp naturally aspirated v6 Lexus to worry about “wasting” gas for a few min while my car warms up a bit and melts some of the multiple inches of ice on my front and rear windshield during winter.
Summer time I give it about 30 seconds than take off.
Notice the post author's location is "TX". For someone in Texas, anything more than 10 seconds is probably excessive, even on the coldest day of the year there. Even where I live, with "real" winters that have snow, it rarely makes sense to just idle the car. I do it sometimes if there's ice on the windshield, to allow the defroster to help thaw it out a bit. Otherwise, the car drives fine when it's only 20 degrees F.
Old 02-25-20, 02:36 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Notice the post author's location is "TX". For someone in Texas, anything more than 10 seconds is probably excessive, even on the coldest day of the year there. Even where I live, with "real" winters that have snow, it rarely makes sense to just idle the car. I do it sometimes if there's ice on the windshield, to allow the defroster to help thaw it out a bit. Otherwise, the car drives fine when it's only 20 degrees F.
My bad didn’t see he was from tx, like I said if I lived there or any similar climate I’d give it 30 seconds just to give her a couple seconds to circulate everything,let the rpm drop a touch than drive.

20 degrees F is like -6 Celsius, in my city that would a warm winter day, ppl would be outside walking having fun lol. I’d probably be in the backyard bbq’ing dinner. I’d give car 1 minute to warm up in that temp.
The cold days for me hit -40, -45 Celsius that’s like -50 degrees Fahrenheit, the car is literally frozen. Windows frozen shut. Both windshields frozen with inches of ice, car struggles to turn over and start, doors are frozen shut, hvac cluster barely lights up it’s so cold. The car drives like **** even after warming up a few min. Steering feels stiff, tranny shifts hard and slow, car barely accelerates. But again I’m literally in one of the coldest places in the world so most people who are used to weather that’s only 20, 30 degrees in the winter literally can’t fathom what it’s like starting and driving a car that’s sat overnight in -50 Fahrenheit.
Old 02-25-20, 03:33 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
My bad didn’t see he was from tx, like I said if I lived there or any similar climate I’d give it 30 seconds just to give her a couple seconds to circulate everything,let the rpm drop a touch than drive.

20 degrees F is like -6 Celsius, in my city that would a warm winter day, ppl would be outside walking having fun lol. I’d probably be in the backyard bbq’ing dinner. I’d give car 1 minute to warm up in that temp.
The cold days for me hit -40, -45 Celsius that’s like -50 degrees Fahrenheit, the car is literally frozen. Windows frozen shut. Both windshields frozen with inches of ice, car struggles to turn over and start, doors are frozen shut, hvac cluster barely lights up it’s so cold. The car drives like **** even after warming up a few min. Steering feels stiff, tranny shifts hard and slow, car barely accelerates. But again I’m literally in one of the coldest places in the world so most people who are used to weather that’s only 20, 30 degrees in the winter literally can’t fathom what it’s like starting and driving a car that’s sat overnight in -50 Fahrenheit.
I grew up in NY and went to college in Vermont. Not quite as cold as Ontario, but not too warm either.
I had a VW squareback. One day it was so cold, it wouldn't start, even with a push start with the manual transmission.
I got a thing to plug in to keep the oil warm overnight so I could start the car. Burlington, Vermont had sidewalk
snow plows, which I never saw in NY. I've been living in California in the Bay Area since 79 (grad school 77-79 in Fresno, Ca.) and I don't miss those winters at all. As Myron Cohen once said, Everybody's got to be somewhere.
I'm sure it's beautiful in Ontario.
Old 02-25-20, 03:40 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I grew up in NY and went to college in Vermont. Not quite as cold as Ontario, but not too warm either.
I had a VW squareback. One day it was so cold, it wouldn't start, even with a push start with the manual transmission.
I got a thing to plug in to keep the oil warm overnight so I could start the car. Burlington, Vermont had sidewalk
snow plows, which I never saw in NY. I've been living in California in the Bay Area since 79 (grad school 77-79 in Fresno, Ca.) and I don't miss those winters at all. As Myron Cohen once said, Everybody's got to be somewhere.
I'm sure it's beautiful in Ontario.
Its got its perks but the winter weather is insane. So bloody cold, so much snow. Takes me sometimes 10 min just to clear the snow and majority of ice of my car some days. I’ve had a few cars that wouldn’t start on really cold days here but I’ve had the Lexus through 2 winters and it never once hasn’t started. It struggles, a few times ive thought it wasn’t gonna turn over and but it barely did. The AWD is a beast in the snow until ground clearance becomes a factor.

Ive lived in Ontario my whole life, I can’t believe you’re lucky enough to live in California. I’m so jealous lol I can’t imagine how awesome calling Cali home would be compared to where I’m from. Im sure there’s cons, but weather/climate is unbeatable.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (02-26-20)
Old 02-26-20, 08:03 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,693 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ While the weather remains cold, the political and social situation is heating up at an alarming rate.....
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (02-26-20)